Has anyone been...

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (12 posts)
  1. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

At the center of a bidding war before?

I have till 11am tomorrow to figure out what I am doing here, and have never actually been in a situation where I have had three companies fighting over my services before. 

My current client is the highest bidder so far ($5 increase leading to a $10 increase + full healthcare) but the job kinda took up all my time and made me a little depressed.

The two other bidders are offering slightly lower salaries, $3 rise leading to full benefits + leading to a  $5 increase and the third is offering $7 dollars raise flat with half paid premiums on Health care.

I like the people from offer number two out of the two new bidders.  My first client is a great guy as well, and despite the fact that the work is running me down, I do kind of feel as if I could stick it out, I do see him being successful in the future.

I am not really looking to be in this position, it's nice that my services are valued, but at the same time it is really hard to choose between my current boss and one of the two new options.

Each company has it's own benefits, and they are all pretty good, but which way should I go.

My current client offers me long term prospects (but it leaves me a little down and I will only be in the country for a few more years.

Option number two is a great place to work, pay rise over time and benefits.

Option number 3 gives me money right now, which would be kind of useful, especially because I want a Canon T2i.

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Hi thisisoli,
    Congratulations on being in such an enviable position!
    Given that you have 3 companies vying for your services you are in a strong negotiating position.
    Whichever company you like best, be sure to tell them of the others' offers. Perhaps company #3 will match the paid health premiums of $1.
    Also, in order to be able to compare apples to apples, what are the health premiums? You're in America now. Paid health care is gold. If you're going to end up paying (for example) $200 a month in premiums at company #3 is the total compensation package actually better than #1 or #2?
    Other than that, I would go for the opportunity that excites you the most. You gotta be happy with the work environment and the work!
    Good luck and keep us posted. MM

3. thisisoli profile image70
    thisisoliposted 13 years ago

They are all comprehensive health packages, on the opportunity where I would be paying half, I would be paying $105 a month, the one with my current client would be closer to a $180 value in total.

It would be nice to have the health care, and I am tempted to see if Job number two would increase it to a family plan, I would like my wife to be covered as well.

Just out of interest how does healhcare work over here?

In the past (in England) I worked for a company which offered healthcare insurance. I was givin a policy number, If ever I wanted private healthcare, needed physio, drugs, etc, I could just 'pay' with my policy number. When I was no longer working for that particular company I had to use the NHS, the only real difference being the TV in my hospital room had less channels and I didn't need to dig out my policy number.

Over here I gather things work a little differently, and I would like some kind of medical insurance (getting injured over here is a weight that I find it hard to shift.)

4. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 13 years ago

The best I can offer is that enjoying work is a lot more important than salary, given that it is enough to live comfortably on. 

I left a job after 22 years.  It had gotten so bad that I was grinding my teeth at night to the point that I lost one of them. My stress levels were destroying my family.  Works hours increased from 40/week to nearly 60.

I took a healthy pay cut, but am much happier now.  So are my kids and wife.

5. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Oli, healthcare is a vastly different here.  My husband complains about the differences all of the time.  I just hired another staff person under me and healthcare benefits is what was the deciding factor between staying where she was and coming to work for me.  You have to really look at not only monthly premiums you'll be paying, but the benefits each health plan offers.  Co-pays and deductibles vary GREATLY!  It's not like once you have insurance everything is paid for.  I have great insurance, but still had several thousand dollars of out of pocket expenses this past year.

6. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

That's exactly why I said health benefits are "gold."
    Unfortunately, it's not all that simple.
    Some employers offer more than one choice of health care.
    Hopefully these three only have one option each, that will make your decision easier.
    You will need to see the policy to see what it covers.
    With any luck it is a simple plan where as you describe, you just whip out your insurance card when receiving services and that's that.
    More than likely, however, you will have the distinctly American pleasure of dealing with deductibles, co-pays and percentage payments (80% coverage and you pay the remaining 20%).
    It can get confusing.
    Definitely get your wife covered. You don't want to leave her health to chance!

7. KCC Big Country profile image86

I get all giggly thinking about some little Oli's in the future.  Definitely get her insured!  smile

thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Believe me there will not be any little Oli's running around in the near future, that is waiting till our travels finally take us back to the UK!

I will be looking forward to not paying any medical, dental, optical, etc!

8. KCC Big Country profile image86

That's not fair......Austin's only an hour and a half away.

LOL

Are you both working on dual citizenship then?

Kind of, I wanted to live in the US for a short while, and we both liked the idea of living in Central America for close to a year.  We will probably head back from the US for a year after that and then head back over to the UK when we have recovered our funds a little.

9. KCC Big Country profile image86

My husband basically wants to live anywhere but here!  He hates the area we're in.  He hates being so far from the coast.  I haven't taken him to the Gulf coast yet, either.  It's a 5 hr drive at a minimum for us.

I'd like to take extended visits to the UK, but it's way too cold there for me to ever consider living there.  I'm a Texas gal to the bone.

The greenbelt in Austin is a pretty good replacement for the coast, you can jump of mini waterfalls, lay on teh roacks and let the water wash over you, and get pretty drunk at the same time.  If you go to the wilder areas though there are snakes!

I do miss the sea sometimes though!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)