Newer Rap and older Jazz

1. jtyler profile image60
    jtylerposted 5 years ago

When you look at Lil Wayne on youtube, you see a video with 66 million plus views.

When you look at John Coltrane, you see a video with only 1 million views.

I know that different people have different views of music, but in my opinion, it should be the other way around.

I personally listen to jazz a lot, but that's not why I'm here.  I'm here because it seems to me that rap is crap.  Actually, it would be less than crap because it doesn't have the c in the beginning.

There are a few reasons for me saying this.  Of what I've heard of rap (and I actually listen to some of the songs), it just talks about the hood, sex, strippers, money, drugs, and violence.  The rapper just talks about himself the whole time.  The lyrics, themes, and topics are always unoriginal.  Also, the songs themselves barely utilize any other instruments/music in general.  I once heard someone say "if I wanted to listen to violence and sex, I would put a backing track to the evening news."

Why is it so popular compared to something like jazz?

Also, why is jazz so unpopular?

Almost every jazz song is creative and original.  Even songs that are arrangements of other songs are original.  The artists usually improvise and make their own solos on the spot.  Also, the songs with words are creative, and they actually talk about something.