jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

Value of backlinks?

1. wyanjen profile image90
    wyanjenposted 6 years ago

My question is not whether backlinks are valuable. I can't think of a better way to phrase it.

Hubs that I have worked hard to link back to are performing better as time goes on. I'm not sure I am understanding why, though. The links themselves generate almost no traffic.

I'm wondering: Is it the traffic, or the link itself that matters? I've been frustrated about how little traffic my links bring in so I haven't been working as hard at it lately.

Is the value of a backlink the amount of traffic it generates, or simply the fact that there is a link pointing to your page?

smile

2. Misha profile image75
    Mishaposted 6 years ago

Links themselves. Think of them as votes for your page. smile

1. profile image0
      ssaulposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Since i start backlinking, some of my hubs that i have written two weeks ago already have PR 1, that is so amazing, i can't believe it. I am gonna keep backlinking more of my hubs.. smile

3. wyanjen profile image90

Thanks pal
    http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy112.gif

I've been noticing that some of my older hubs are showing ***** for incoming links. I didn't put that many links to them... so I started wondering!

I guess I'll get back to work then. It didn't seem to me like what I was doing was helping out a whole lot –- at first, anyway.

1. Misha profile image75
      Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Backlinks take their time to work, that's for sure, and this is what usually deceives people. I don't think you need to really follow some kind of a formalized strategy, though diversity certainly is the name of the game, including nofollow. Again, voting analogy works fine here - you want all groups of voters to vote for you. smile

As for your ***** I would guess some people naturally backlinked to your hubs, cause you are publishing quality content. smile

1. thisisoli profile image57
        thisisoliposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Apparently Google loves you if you link to my sites from all of yours big_smile

Is that diverse enough for you Misha? wink

1. Misha profile image75
          Mishaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

He-he, show me your bank account statement, and we can talk. We are talking a few hundred sites here tongue

4. thisisoli profile image57
    thisisoliposted 6 years ago

You dont need to do much backlinking to get 5* on here.  The value in backlinks is down to whether or not they are do follow or not, and the value of the source of the link.

If you ever have $100 a month to spare I would suggest investing in the SEOMoz tool. It actually gives you a lot of info on backlinks and help builds a backlinking strategy (it is not an austo submitter/content spinner, it is just a fantastic way of tracking down relevant places to backlink).

5. wyanjen profile image90

That sounds awesome oli!
    But I don't have $$ to spare.

Yet (hee hee)

6. wychic profile image79
    wychicposted 6 years ago

Speaking of getting good backlinks for your site...I've found that a combination of SEO Quake and NoDoFollow (Firefox plugins) can make it really easy to find good places to link. I search for sites that allow comments, try to find PR 3 or higher, and find something interesting and relevant to leave a comment and link on. Most of them are nofollow (though I have had a few people pick up my articles and include them in their own content with dofollow links), but the PRs are still rising, so I deem them worth it wink. An added plus is that I often get inspired by the content of the sites that I comment/link on, so I have new ideas to run with.

1. wyanjen profile image90
      wyanjenposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I've never heard of the NoDoFollow plugin.
      Thanks for the tip!

working