jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (10 posts)

What should I be focusing on?

1. workingmomwm profile image84
    workingmomwmposted 5 years ago

Okay. I've been a member here for about 3 months - have actually been publishing hubs for only 2 of those months. So far, I've published only 14 hubs. I'm about 7 views shy of 1000 for all of those, and I've made about $2.19 with Google AdSense with 8 clicks - absolutely nothing from Amazon yet, but I write mostly informational hubs, and I know from reading other people's hubs not to expect much from Amazon because of that.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out how I should spend most of my (very limited) time to maximize my HubPages earnings and experience. Should I write more hubs, or should I be trying to drive more traffic to my (admittedly small number of) existing hubs. I tend to think I need to write more (what I want to do, anyway). My husband (who reads a lot about Internet marketing) thinks I need to drive more traffic. I know, ultimately, that I really need to do both, but I'm wondering what I should be doing more of right now? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My thinking is that more traffic will produce more income quicker.  More hubs will produce more traffic and income in the long run.  Given time the hubs will get nearly the same traffic without your help - it just takes time.

It is true that a few people get very high traffic (Misha for instance) on only a few hubs with a lot of work backlinking, but I think that is unusual here.

If you can do only one thing, write more hubs, but only after learning how (SEO, keyword research, page optimization, etc.)

1. ChuckHuckaby profile image61
        ChuckHuckabyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Traffic (other than what Hub Pages sends) depends on your search engine rankings for individual pages.

The keyword you choose in your title is very important for search engine ranking (that's why they offer the "title tuner".

When I have a topic I'm interested in writing about, I try to do some keyword research using a variety of tools (free and those I've bought) to see the relative competition for the keyword and how many people are searching for it.

It's a bit of a guessing game I'll admit, but that's what has been helpful to me.

2. ImChemist profile image60
      ImChemistposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try to mix this and this , write quality original hubs and then get traffic.

3. David 470 profile image86
      David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Writing more is always good, however, some people abide by the rules of trying to get traffic to their existing hubs.

Technically, doing both is good.  I mainly just make sure my keywords are relevant, and write more. I used to backlink, but have not done lately.

The thing is, if your topic is not being searched more, more backlinks will not help unless people are searching for it.

Theres a lot of variables, but try and do what works for you. There's no limit to how many hubs you can have so you can simply keep writing.

4. kschang profile image90
      kschangposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I do both.

I write topics that seem to hot in the news, but also have the potential to be "evergreen".

THEN I try to push the topic in relevant forums and throw in a link or two, only relevant stuff of course.

2. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

By posing an either/or type question, you're going to find that some of the people will tell you to build Hubs and some will tell you to drive traffic.

Do whichever of the two YOU are better at doing.  Playing to your own strength(s) at the early stage will work in your favor in the long-run.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good answer, Relache.  And as the OP stated writing is what she wants to do, she should probably learn how and do that.  Unless she's already a whiz at driving traffic.

1. May PL profile image90
        May PLposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you all for these suggestions. I am fairly new myself with this Hub writing thing and while I like to write and have limited time to do so, I am also aware of driving the traffic issue. Thanks relache for the assurance of doing what I am better at at this point and thanks wilderness, for saying that it all takes time. I will keep that in mind and continue my journey!

2. workingmomwm profile image84
      workingmomwmposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thank you for this. Very insightful, and it makes perfect sense. It's good to be reassured that all I have to do is be patient, and my efforts will be rewarded.