jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Support Transparent Images

1. 0
    frantiicposted 5 years ago

I hate having to edit images with a transparent background to a solid white background just so that it works properly on HubPages.

This obviously has to do with the fact that PNG images are converted to JPEG, which does not support transparency. There are 2 solutions:

- Turn all transparency to solid white automatically
    - Stop converting PNG to JPG if it contains transparency

Should look like:

1. WryLilt profile image86
      WryLiltposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, this bugs me too! Have had this numerous times.

2. amalloy profile image81
      amalloyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This annoyed me too when I started writing my first hubs. Thanks for reminding me about the problem; I'll put together a fix for it. That fix will be your first suggestion - convert transparency to white instead of black - because leaving images as PNGs is problematic for several reasons. I hope to have this done by the weekend: it's not a very large project.

However, I don't see any good way to make the solution "retroactive": if you have any existing images they will be stuck as black unless you re-import them.

1. 0
        frantiicposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is great to hear! Thanks so much smile

And yes, PNG doesn't play very nice with some browsers.
        *cough* IE6 *cough*

2. itech profile image57
    itechposted 5 years ago

One vote from me also...

3. Michael Willis profile image78
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

This happens to me when I upload a .png image to Hubpages.

4. 0
    china manposted 5 years ago

I would say that the Hubpage format is pretty simple layout wise and could do with a few upgrades maybe - including what would appear to be quite simple adjustments like the transparent pics ?

5. amalloy profile image81
    amalloyposted 5 years ago

This should be taken care of now: I was able to import a PNG with transparency, and the white background was preserved. Try it out, and let me know if you have any further problems.