Ouch! Why do people hate this Hub? Its at 45 and falling fast...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (32 posts)
  1. Rob Patrick profile image56
    Rob Patrickposted 13 years ago

Needing some constructive criticism regarding my second ever hub. I crafted what I thought to be a clever and informative article that would help the reader renegotiate a lower wireless bill with their provider. But after one day its been down-voted 5 times. Wondering if anyone has any advice to share with a discouraged newby.

Oh before I forget the hub in question is... the hub is http://hubpages.com/hub/How-I-cut-my-ce … n-Iphone-4

I hope this doesn't constitute promoting my own hub... if it does and I've broken a rule let me know and I will delete this comment right away.

Thank you.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rob, as others have said - there is no way of telling whether someone has voted your Hub up OR down.  The score doesn't give you any clues.  All Hubs start off around the 50 mark and it does fluctuate.

If your Hub is copied from another article that's already published (even if it's yours), the score will plummet.  Otherwise, the score will get better slowly over time. 

Your Hubber score is low - write yourself a profile and let us know something about you, that will make a difference! 

Welcome to HubPages.

2. rbrenan profile image60
      rbrenanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You might want to search around for hubs that explain hub score.  I have read some that were very helpful.  I only have three hubs - I posed the first two at 50 and they have risen slowly in the following days.  For the third one, I tried some advice I read in another hub and sat on it for a day or two after it was finished.  It actually rose to a 60 before I had even published it.  I think that having your score rise before publication is probably a good sign, and if it does not rise after a day or so then you may need to look at things like spelling, length of content, variety of content (text, images, videos, amazon boxes, etc), and quality of title (from a search engine optimization standpoint).  I'm just learning too, but I hope that helps!

3. Stump Parrish profile image60
      Stump Parrishposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rob, I found the article to be an excellent 2nd attempt. Humourous enough to keep me reading and contained some info others may not be aware of. Listen to Marisa, she has good advice. Of course I usually give terrible advice so use your own judgement

4. Darrke Thoughts profile image59
      Darrke Thoughtsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I see that time is not helping much. (38 when I looked at it today.)

I didn't find anything particularly childish about the hub unless it's the cartoon graphics.  They do seem to fit the tone of the hub though so I wouldn't necesarily change that.

The voice you use is a lot different from other cell phone type hubs (or other web pages) that I've seen.  I have to give you credit for that.  I haven't read any of the others all the way through.  So it worked for keeping at least one person on the page long enough to read the whole thing.

It's good advice, not overly promotional (which a lot of cell phone pages tend to be).

I think there is room for improvement, but not the kind that would effect your hub score like it's going.

The title is probably too long.  You will do better in search engines with a shorter title, make sure to leave your keywords in it.

The hub may be too short.  It's hard to tell from reading, but check your stats at the top of the hub when you look at it and find out how many words the hub is. HubPages prefers 500 words or more.

Other than that, I think you must have got some down votes, possibly from competitors in the cell phone category?

Keep writing and don't let this one get you down.  It will either straighten itself out on the score or you can delete it and try again with the subject later.  Meanwhile, keep writing hubs. I see your first one has a rising score and I can't see anything significantly different in the quality of the two hubs.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

How would you know it was down-voted 5 times?

Secondly, the hub looks like a child wrote it.

So, I'm not exactly sure what you would like to do with it. I would suggest changing the format, and possibly adding more text and change the manner in which it is written.

Rob Patrickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How do I know its down voted 5 times? Its at 45, I thought that meant its been down voted?

As for a child writing it... not sure how constructive that comment is but thanks for your time anyway.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nevermind, do what you want.

Thanks but it was a legitimate question. Doesn't the 45 mean that people have been down-voting it? I'm not trying to be snarky but I'm new and still figuring things out.

Again, thanks for your time. I do appreciate the feedback. Best regards.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not necessarily. Negative votes have a neglible impact, certainly you cannot subtract 1 point per down vote. In my opinion, it is premature to even worry about the score for a hub published so recently.

I recommend that you fill out some information for your profile page and get yourself a suitable avatar.

2. K Kiss profile image59
        K Kissposted 13 years agoin reply to this

that was a very nice way of reacting..quite gentlemanly..welcome to hubpages

3. lrohner profile image67
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I think the hub is great. It's an interesting read with good information.

Thanks. Really appreciate that. Any ideas why its at 45? Again, I'm new and still learning the ropes around here.

Thanks again.

1. lrohner profile image67
        lrohnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All hubs start at 50, and that can fluctuate a bit even before you publish it. Your 45 isn't that far off from where it started. Just give it time. If a week or two goes by and it's still at 45, post again and let us know.

2. leahlefler profile image96
        leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Rob, it will probably fluctuate. I have some hubs that started out at a 50, then dropped to a 47 or 48: one of these now has a score of 80. Give the hub a little time and see if it increases over time: it can take a week (or more) to see it increase.

There are some excellent articles on increasing hubscore: I have to look at your article again (it was an entertaining personal anecdote), but you could add a news capsule with news about mobile phone contracts.The more detailed and original a hub is, the better it will do in the long run!

2. passionatelearnr profile image84
      passionatelearnrposted 8 years agoin reply to this

i think so too.

1. KarenHC profile image79
        KarenHCposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Did you see that this thread is from four years ago, and probably not relevant today?

4. CASE1WORKER profile image62
    CASE1WORKERposted 13 years ago

Rob, I think your hub was really good! It might not raise the bucks in adsense but it raised a giggle here in the land of cheap mobile phone contracts!

5. vicki simms profile image68
    vicki simmsposted 13 years ago

Hi Rob, I've checked out your hub and left you a comment, I really like it!
    I'm still learning the ropes and do not feel I can give you any kind of help as such but I do know that once you publish a hub the score does sometimes go down but give it a couple of days and you will see it increase smile

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

Another fact is-- you have been here less than 24 hours. Numbers  on hubs and profiles don't mean anything at this point. Give it some time.

7. camlo profile image85
    camloposted 13 years ago

Rob, I enjoyed your Hub very much, and like your style, too.
    I think lrohner is probably right, and the score will soon rise.

8. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 13 years ago

I didn't see anything wrong with the hub, nor did I see anything in it that would clarify Cags's statement that "it looked like a child that wrote it".
    ALL hubs start off low, and some get even lower after publication. I don't know why. It has happened to me too.  Rest assured that it will rise in time smile

1. ImChemist profile image57
      ImChemistposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes you right , we ( the newbies )have to take chance to try to success!

9. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

All my hubs drop like bricks when first published, then slowly rise back up a respectable level.  Give it time, and it will rise.

Interesting hub, quite like your style, but the title is far too long for me - try playing about with the title a bit.

Also, daft as it may seem, I seem to get more interest in my hubs when I put a picture of myself on my profile... might be worth a try

David

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Give it time.

It's fine.

I do think it could use just a little cosmetic work, but really, it's minor and of little importance.  Putting a list close to the first ad is just a little klutzy looking.  Just a little, though. You might be able to fix it with an extra sentence or two in the first two paragraphs.

But that is SO minor it is almost silly to mention it.

2. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 13 years ago

For starters your hub tittle is too long. The search engine is not seeing the last half of it.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where on earth did you get THAT silly idea from????

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ooops. I missed that you said "title".  I thought you were referring to the hub length.

1. melpor profile image90
            melporposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Pcunix, I just corrected it. It shows only 70 characters in the title.

3. melpor profile image90
      melporposted 13 years ago

It should be less than 70 characters in length. That is how many characters google show in the title after a search is executed. It used to be 65 characters.

4. Painter Penfield profile image60
      Painter Penfieldposted 13 years ago

I see from your hub that the score has risen nicely. I gave you a thumbs up and, for myself, enjoyed the read. Keep hubbing.

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
      Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Hi Rob - welcome to HubPages.  What a great article.  I am now your faithful follower and hopefully in another four years you might write another one.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)