jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

English as a first language and success in HubPages

1. unico hijo profile image61
    unico hijoposted 6 years ago

Is it true that having English as a first language is a key success factor in HubPages?

1. kschang profile image88
      kschangposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not at all.

English was not my first language. I'm a polyglot. smile

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

I don't think having English as a first language is important anywhere. What's important is how well you speak/write it. I know some ESL folks who speak and write much better than people with English as a first language! smile

That said, I wish a good grasp of the English language and decent skills in spelling, punctuation, sentence structure and grammar were important here on HP. But according to a few Hubbers that I have a lot of respect for, that's probably not the case.

Speaking only for myself, when I come across a page anywhere on the Internet where the writing isn't (for the most part) clean, I'm outta there in a flash. I figure if the writer couldn't be bothered cleaning up their writing, I can't be bothered reading it. smile

1. CYBERSUPE profile image61
      CYBERSUPEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Love it Irohner !

3. Flightkeeper profile image79
    Flightkeeperposted 6 years ago

If you write well in English you are way ahead than a lot of people, you don't necessarily have to have English as a first language.  There's plenty who have it as a first language and still suck at writing.

4. CYBERSUPE profile image61
    CYBERSUPEposted 6 years ago

GOOD FOR YOU IROHNER !!   I agree with you 100% and I do the very same as you.

working