jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

Vehicle said to be JFK Ambulance Sells For $132,000

1. Stacie L profile image89
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

is it sick or smart to buy the ambulance that JFK was transported in after being shot?
    The 1963 Pontiac Bonneville ambulance said to have carried President John F. Kennedys body after his assassination sold at the Barrett-Jackson Auction Co. sale in Scottsdale, Ariz., for $132,000, a total that includes the buyers commission.

http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/2011/ … or-132000/

2. I am DB Cooper profile image66
    I am DB Cooperposted 5 years ago

I watched the Barrett-Jackson auctions last week, and this car really didn't impress me, even if it is real (which is disputed). For one thing, it's just the ambulance that took his body from the plane after it landed in Washington D.C. and transported it to the Capitol Building. Now think about this, there were probably half a dozen vehicles that transported JFK after he was shot. The most valuable would be the convertible he was shot in (I believe it was a Lincoln), the next most valuable would probably be the vehicle that took his body to the cemetery, as it would have been the final one to carry JFK. If there was an ambulance between the convertible and the hospital in Dallas, that would probably be the next most valuable. Waaaay down on the list of historical value is the car that drove his body from the airport to the Capitol.

It has value as an old ambulance (which are collectible), but I would only put maybe a $20,000 premium on it for its (disputed) historical value.

1. DTR0005 profile image86
      DTR0005posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Kennedy's limo, the one he was shot in, is on display at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn, Michigan. I have seen it and it is decidingly a creepy experience.

3. optimus grimlock profile image59
    optimus grimlockposted 5 years ago

just proves people will buy anything!!!Barrett-Jackson is great to watch I'm always suprised when a car sell for much more then you think it would!