jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (10 posts)

Missing Trees

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image86
    BRIAN SLATERposted 5 years ago

What is happening to orchards, when I was growing up they were everywhere. Have they all been bulldozed flat. Are there any near you.?

2. 0
    china manposted 5 years ago

No money in fruit I am afraid - more money in vast single crop farms with one huge machine and a coupel of guys working it instead of hte many people that orchards require.

3. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...sure...the orchards i remember as a kid are still there...as well, in the province i live now.....one area is called peachland......every year, folks from Mexico and other parts of Canada show up to pick the fruit....most of the fruit i eat is from Canada....and/or US (Cali.) depending on the season.  These days, the addition of grapes have been added to the mix...beautiful areas to visit...wine maker areas.

...i recall being in either new mexico or arizona and seeing plenty or orchards....nuts though - pecans....looked like they had been there for a long time...

1. 0
      china manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess those areas cans till get plenty of cheap people then ? ? ?

1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
        SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago in reply to this

...ya gotta point there CM......

4. lrohner profile image86
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

There are many, many orchards nearby where I live. And yes -- we pick our own fruit there as it comes in season, like apples, peaches, pears, strawberries, blueberries, etc.

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image86
      BRIAN SLATERposted 5 years ago in reply to this

your very lucky to have those on your doorstep.

5. Beth100 profile image84
    Beth100posted 5 years ago

Oh yes!  And you can go and pick your own fruit when they come in season!!  smile

6. 2uesday profile image89
    2uesdayposted 5 years ago

It always seems crazy to me that they dug up lots of the apple orchards in Kent (England,UK) as they did not think they were profitable. Now although you can still buy English apples, lots of the apples on sale here are flown in from as far away as South Africa, or imported from the Europe.

Here we once had many varieties of apples that grew in orchards they were varied in colour of skin, texture, crispness and flavour and some had interesting names. Somewhere in the UK there is a 'libary'/archive of these different apple varieties that are grown there so that they are not lost.

Makes me sad to think of how we lose our heritage for profit.

7. camlo profile image84
    camloposted 5 years ago

I've never seen an orchard here, and the apples and pears mostly come from the Netherlands.
    I've been to the Netherlands many times, but have never seen an orchard there either. Strange.

working