jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (7 posts)

A newbie needs clarification..

1. jeyaprakash84 profile image60
    jeyaprakash84posted 5 years ago

Hi Everyone.. This is Jeyaprakash. I am very new to online publishing. Just a few days back I found hubpages.
    I have some problem understanding the concept of revenue sharing. As I understand, 60% of the time, the advertisement of the writer would be visible and 40% of the time, it would be of HP. If it had been simple sharing of 60/40 of whatever is earned through the add, it would have been easier for me to understand.
    But, in the existing system, it seems to be quite complicated. How the time frame is decided.. The traffic may differ at different times of the day. Will this add code shift randomly maintaining the ratio 60/40 or is there any other ways.
    I could not find any threads on this. Excuse me if this is already discussed. In that condition, please give me the link to that thread.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I doubt it is a time frame - more likely just a random number. For example, the code could pick a random number between 1 and 100.  If it is 60 or less, they run their ad.  Otherwise, theirs.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

A little clarification - ads are always visible, but are attributed to HP 40% of the time.  If an ad is clicked on you will be paid ONLY if it is on one of the 60% of the views at are attributed to you.

If you watch the adsense number of views and compare to those reported by HP, you will find a fairly consistent correlation; adsense shows 60% of what HP does.  This would seem to indicate that the division of views is consistent throughout the day and not "grouped" significantly.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

I don't think it is easy to find any more accurate statistics, one reason being that HubPages wouldn't want anyone to game the system.

From previous discussions, it can be deduced that the 60-40% ratio is a reliable statistic over time. You may see variance at different times, so your share could appear to be less. Some have also reported (purported) that some of their hubs received a less than 60% share, which others have disputed can be true.

So it comes down to this: Trust that HubPages will give you the promised 60% of all page impressions. You will get all revenue associated with this share, 0% of any revenue associated with HP's share of the impressions.

3. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

A binomial equation is used as their random number generator. It is not time-of-day structured. I’ve done the math and found no significant discrepancies.

4. jeyaprakash84 profile image60
    jeyaprakash84posted 5 years ago

Thank you very much for all your responses. Nice to get your views based on the research you have done.
    If it had been a simple sharing of whatever revenue comes, it would have been easier for everyone to understand.
    Based on your views, I believe that the system works fair and there is some reason behind its way of functioning.

1. Pcunix profile image90
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The reason is that it's easier this way. Rather than HP having to collect the money and keep track of your share, your money goes directly to you. No middleman.