jump to last post 1-12 of 12 discussions (16 posts)

Sad Days

1. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

My Mother was in the hospital for nearly a week, and she has been back in her assisted living facility for the past ten days.

I had thought that she was actually doing better, but apparently she's more-or-less just hanging on.  I feel sad and resigned about this, not fully ready to say Goodbye to her, but aware that that time is growing closer every day.  I'm heading back again tomorrow to spend some more time with her.

I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers from the HubPages community - from those who already knew about this, and from those who didn't.

1. tritrain profile image78
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I just lost my dear grandma.  It's tough to say goodbye, but sometimes it needs to be said.  I have to say I was very impressed with the hospice nurses.

I sincerely wish you and your Mother well.

1. Aficionada profile image92
        Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Again, I want to thank everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and words of support and encouragement.

Mother is much better now, even though her health is still rather fragile.  She's 93 y.o. and weighs 75 pounds with her clothes on - so she doesn't have a lot of reserves for fighting any infections or diseases that come along.  But she is hanging in there, and while I was with her she seemed to become microscopically better every day.

Tritrain, I too was impressed with everyone in Hospice.  While I was there, Mother had visits from the admitting nurse, the social worker, and the weekday and weekend visiting nurses, and I found all of them to be far more than competent and compassionate - even though my first impression of them was not always spot on.  One comment that I appreciated very much was that "Hospice is not what it was."  In other words, signing up someone with Hospice is not absolutely an indication that death is near (as often was the case when the movement first started).  In fact, a few years ago Mother was admitted to Hospice and then dismissed after a few months because her health had improved so much.

For now, Mother is stable and for that I am grateful, and grateful also for every bit of time that we can still share with her.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

Positive thoughts and best wishes. I hope she stays with you a while longer. sad

3. Mighty Mom profile image91
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Many of us hubbers have been where you are. I've done it 3x (Mom,Dad, father-in-law). Ann Evans wrote extensively about her final weeks with her mom.
    It may sound weird, but this is extremely precious time you get to spend with your Mom. Not easy, but perhaps the most significant time you'll ever have together.
    I understand the jumble of emotions you must be feeling.
    Your hubber friends are here for you.
    With prayers, with support, with hugs.

4. lrohner profile image83
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

You, your Mom and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

1. 0
      JASON NICHOLSposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Dont worry Aficionada, I and the whole hubpages community is with you. We all are praying for you mother so that she can get well sooner. I am happy that you shared this with us because we too are also a part of your family.

5. Aficionada profile image92
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

Thank you each so much!  It helps to know that others are being so supportive.

1. Cagsil profile image83
      Cagsilposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You're welcome. smile big_smile Hopefully, it brought a small smile to your face, even during this time. smile big_smile

6. 0
    mtsi1098posted 5 years ago

hopefully everyone and everything will work out for you...

7. rebekahELLE profile image91
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

it is very hard. It is good you are spending this time with her.. your mom knows you care and love her, that's what matters.
    I miss my mom every day, but I'm so very thankful that I was with her during her last season of life.
    sending you hugs and lots of love.

8. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I'm sending my thoughts and prayers your way too. My own mum is still alive but starting to fail and I hate the thought of losing her, but that's the natural way of things sad
    Spend as much time with your Mum now as you can because there maybe won't be an other opportunity.

9. lindajot profile image82
    lindajotposted 5 years ago

Such a difficult time for you!  Spend all the time you can with her, like you are - you'll both find comfort there.  My thoughts are with you and your situation.

10. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

Mom's are special and you are in my thoughts.

11. Extinct Soul profile image61
    Extinct Soulposted 5 years ago

I'll include your mother in my daily prayer..
    I'll say a prayer for you too, for extra strength...

12. 0
    cookingdivaposted 5 years ago

I will keep you and family in prayers! We are going through some rough patches here and there so I know how hard it can be and we can all use some break and prayers!