jump to last post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)

Confused about No Follow Links and What They Mean

1. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

So I have this new website and I checked my CPanel stats today and was amazed at the number of links showing from Squidoo lenses.

So I popped over to take a look. When I examined the links they are all listed as "no follow."

I thought "no follow" meant that the search engines wouldn't recognize the link. Does the fact that they are showing up in my AWSTATS mean that some search engines are recognizing them?

Does this mean anything at all? I don't usually worry about this stuff, but it's lots of links. Apparently everytime I post a page this Squid includes a link to it.

1. Pcunix profile image92
      Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Does AWSTATS indicate that Google has indeed arrived from that link?  Can you confirm that with Analytics or do you have access to the raw log so you can see it for yourself?

Also, did you look at the page source to confirm they really are no follow?

2. Ultimate Hubber profile image79
    Ultimate Hubberposted 5 years ago

Awstats don't show backlinks recognized by search engines.

BTW, some successful bloggers consider nofollow links beneficial for search engine rankings.

3. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

How does Google handle nofollowed links?

In general, we don't follow them. This means that Google does not transfer PageRank or anchor text across these links. Essentially, using nofollow causes us to drop the target links from our overall graph of the web. However, the target pages may still appear in our index if other sites link to them without using nofollow, or if the URLs are submitted to Google in a Sitemap. Also, it's important to note that other search engines may handle nofollow in slightly different ways.

http://www.google.com/support/webmaster … swer=96569

I never understood these completely myself and had heard that there was "some" benefit. Still confused about that bit, actually...

1. Pcunix profile image92

The benefit is YOU linking with nofollow when you need to link to something that Google might interpret to your discredit.

4. 0

Yes, I looked at the page source (it's one of the few things like this that I know how to do) and the link was clearly no follow.

Now I'm trying to figure out what to look at with my raw logs. It probably doesn't matter. I'm just curious.

5. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

My two cents worth (although everyone here undoubtedly knows more on this subject than me!):

From what I've read, Google puts little or no value in nofollow links. However search engines like Yahoo and Altavista and Ask do place benefit in these links.

1. englightenedsoul profile image60
      englightenedsoulposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wry - I don't know about ask and altavista but Yahoo does not give credit to nofollow links in terms of SEO and ranking.  It just crawls nofollow links.

And Nelle I think Awstats is counting both dofollow and nofollow links.  You should double check with yahoo site explorer as it also counts both dofollow and nofollow links!

Also, nofollow links don't have any benefit except for traffic if any.  You should not worry about them!!

6. 0

Then are these links in some ways descrediting my site? Seems unfair if so.

1. skyfire profile image74
      skyfireposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No discrediting at all. AWstats, Webtemp are server logs so they calculate more backlinks than google or any SE. This includes nofollow links,bots and other feeds sources which are not included in any web analytics. Nofollow links do help to catch attention of SE as they use it for indexing but don't pass PR or any other value.

2. Pcunix profile image92

You are not understanding this.

nofollow links simply don't help or hurt. They effectively don't exist as far as Google cares.

You are not being discredited in anyway by the Squidoo links.

7. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

No follow links are not crawled by Google. They do not provide any direct SEO benefit.

They do pass traffic, and that traffic may give you some organic links.

Most backlink counters use Yahoo site explorer, which is woefully inaccurate.  I dont know if AWstats uses this or not, you would be better off looking at Google Webmaster tools and seeing what they count smile

8. lakeerieartists profile image80
    lakeerieartistsposted 5 years ago

I just saw this thread, but Nelle, you can get traffic from those links, but no real effect on Google.

9. 0

okay, I shall stop worrying. This Squid is backlinking to my entire site with no follows. And I'm not the only site she's doing this to. Why? Perhaps this is a Squidoo thing. Perhaps they are using the links for keywords, I don't know. I shall move on.

Thanks everyone.

1. ThomasE profile image82
      ThomasEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

One of the capsules they have on squiddoo is an rss feed, so you can post links automatically on the topic. The idea is it keeps your lens' "fresh" as it were, the same as a news capsule.

Either way, it is doing you no harm, and maybe a small amount of good because it possibly means google finds your posts more quickly.

2. livewithrichard profile image86
      livewithrichardposted 5 years ago in reply to this

The links you are referring to are not backlinks and provide no value to the squid.  People often link to higher page rank sites through their blogrolls often in an attempt to catch the eye of the webmaster who might see traffic being driven h/her way and link back, thus providing the backlink.

10. thisisoli profile image73
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

Think of it as free traffic Nelle smile