jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Report: Unable to add YouTube to new Hub

1. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

I have even tried different YouTube embeds to see if one was wrong or the link bad, but still unable to get anything to work. All it keeps saying is that the URL is not recognized.

Is YouTube no longer a viable video format or just messed up?

1. Edweirdo profile image94
      Edweirdoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

YouTube has changed their embed code - when you click "embed" on a video, there is a checkbox that reads "use old embed code". Click that and the code should work.
      You can also try using the URL instead of the embed code...

Michael Willisposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, that fixed the issue.

2. Michael Willis profile image77
    Michael Willisposted 5 years ago

Also-----In edit mode I have the Yellow highlighted message of a "broken link highlighted below," but there is no broken link or highlighted link.
    I have tested multiple links and all work just fine.

I've had this issue, myself - you can send an email to the HubPages team and they can sort this out for you!

Will do. I don't want to publish a hub with that warning on top.

Only you can see the broken link message, so the hub can be published in the mean time...

I know that, just wonder if it would harm the hub with it there.  It doesn't even show a bad link on the My Account page. Just in edit mode.

I meant to say that if the links aren't really broken, then it's okay to publish the hub while you await a fix from the team...

3. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 5 years ago

Hi Michael,
    I have been facing the problem too for a few days too. But I have found a solution to it. Try this, Instead of the embedded code for the video try to use the url of the video, It may work. It works for me that way.

I did that as well now. Both are working it appears. I did not know that YouTube had changed the embed code. Now I do.
      Thanks!

4. sid_candid profile image60
    sid_candidposted 5 years ago

You are welcome Mark. No You tube has not changed the embedded code. When you upload video in your hubs check they ask either the embedded code or the url. As the embedded code was not working I tried the url of the youtube video. Good to know it worked for you too.

Yes, YouTube has changed their embed code - that's why there is now a "use old embed code" checkbox on YouTube.

And FYI, it is considered "best practice" to use the embed code rather than the URL - some YouTube users do not want their videos to be embeddable, and they can disable the availability of the embed code for that reason. CNN routinely does this to avoid people stealing their videos.

By using the URL vs the embed code you may be violating the copyright of the video's creator, and you are definitely using it without their permission...

5. ezhang profile image
    ezhangposted 5 years ago

The issue with the new YouTube embed code has been fixed. Thanks for the patience.

Are you saying we can use the new code now?

1. monke555 profile image59
        monke555posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hey Michael, that's correct. HubPages now support the new embed code provided by YouTube. Feel free to give it a try.

working