jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

About Stumbleupon,,,,,

1. Bill Manning profile image69
    Bill Manningposted 5 years ago

I use Stumbleupon once in a while for backlinks. However it seems to be a hit or miss thing. I can stumble a new post in one of my websites one night and get not one single hit.

Yet a few days later I can do the same with a similar post and get 500 hits! Do stumbles get shown on the front page for a few minutes?

If I do get hits it's always a bunch within the first 15 minutes. After that you never get any hits again. Why? hmm

1. 0
      china manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

From my VERY limited experiment with them I found the same - but now and again (like every month or so) I get a few days of highly increased activity that mimic the first pattern of hits almost exactly - like my stuff is going around a calender and getting exposed for - as you say - a few minutes.

1. Bill Manning profile image69
        Bill Manningposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks for sharing. Must be if your lucky your post gets stuck on the front somewhere for a while. Other times it quickly goes to the back.

Yet I've never been able to find my own post on there, except for in my profile of course. I just got over 400 hits in the last 10 minutes to a very basic post, but now it's over. smile

1. 0
          china manposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Again - I only made the briefest experiment using just two badly performing hubs but I found the bump was repeated in a cycle and as this is the only link of any kind to those hubs ?  I do think that a routine of putting new stuff up there, especially stuff that relates back to the rest of your stuff  again each time might be the way to go.  I suppose that Stumbleupon flashes through loads of computers and phones a bit quick and so the object would be to make yourself noticeable each time for the same kind of things to eventually get people to mark you and come visit all your stuff.  I am going to go back and look at it more carefully in my next round of learning - then experiment on it again.

2. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 5 years ago

Stumbleupon doesn't really give you backlinks, and the traffic is kind of low.  I tried out Stumbleudon a while back to experiment with vote boosts and a $4 investment generally equals about 300 votes minimum on a good article.  Occasionally this turned in to the thousands.  Unfortunately Stumbleupon traffic rarely converts and is very low quaity.

Consider these two points

Stumbleupon has a relatively vague focus, the traffic you get is NOT targeted to your content.

Stumbleupon allows for easy exits, in most cases people will simply click stumble again, or vote rather than click on an ad.

At least Digg allows people to read a preview of your article first.

I sometimes wish stumbleupon had never turned in to a marketing technique though, I used to love stumbling and finding some really, really, unique websites online that I would never have found otherwise.  Now you have to trawl through half a ton of crap to find anything interesting!

3. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

Stumbleupon is similar to those free traffic sites, it's just that it's got some social media touch, nothing different.

Don't waste your time with stumbleupon, entrecard and captcha based traffic sites.