KNOL is launched

Jump to Last Post 1-28 of 28 discussions (52 posts)
  1. balisunset profile image61
    balisunsetposted 15 years ago

http://knol.google.com

I think it has similar format with hubpages.

We can make knols like we make hubs
    We can also monetize our knols with adsense.

what do you think the impact of KNOL on hubpages?

With this competition, I think hubpages should make new innovations that are not available on KNOL to make hubpages stay competitive in this field.

1. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm over there right now trying it out.

And HubPages has plenty that Knol doesn't. Capsules!

No Amazon or Ebay capsules.

No RSS Feed. No video capsule.

The list goes on.

You can insert images, but I don't think it's as easy as the photo capsule. Nor the extra features such as slideshow.

I plan on publishing quite a few complementary articles at Google Knol which will link back to more detailed articles here at HubPages.

2. darkside profile image65
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Check out the write up at Mashable: http://mashable.com/2008/07/23/google-knol-launches/

3. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Thanks guys! Either way it is a stuff Google will definitely favor, so need to do some work now smile

4. nicolap profile image61
    nicolapposted 15 years ago

I think it's definitely one to get on board - Google are bound to love it.

5. Squimpleton profile image86
    Squimpletonposted 15 years ago

It doesn't really seem that interesting to me. The only real  way to earn is that , from what I've heard on other forums, you get to keep 100% of your clicks and impressions on Adsense.

Though I do know a lot of people who are going to put rss feeds on their profiles since google knol links are Follow. That also means a lot of spammers are bound to join.

6. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Must say I am shocked, by google knol. There's nothing there
    except the articles. Seems you can only go what is it? I can't figure it out.

What were you expecting?

7. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 15 years ago

Well I suppose a littel guidance, some directions, connection, community, sense of what am I doing there, for to start.

Ah yes, it is a little like flying blind.

I've been taking notes so expect a hub on it some time in the not too distant future!

8. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

LOL - racing you darkside.  So far  Ihave had a 1 line knol indexed inside 12 hours and found that their external links are no-follow!

1. Squimpleton profile image86
      Squimpletonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

O.O they're not supposed to be no-follow....

I guess many of the newcomers must have been spamming, that would explain the change of heart.

2. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

They are not nofollow to me.

9. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago
  10. Lissie profile image75

You're right Misha-  I think something changed in the last 12 hours :and for the better!

11. Mark Bennett profile image61
    Mark Bennettposted 15 years ago

Mine are still nofollowed.

http://knol.google.com/k/mark-bennett/m … locale=en#

How did you two get so favored? Did you hand over your phone numbers to Google to get verified?

Checking out the source code and it shows this: <a href="http://emergencyrefinancing.com/mortgage-rates-predictions.php">Mortgage Rates Predictions</a>

There's no nofollow in there.

12. Mark Bennett profile image61
    Mark Bennettposted 15 years ago

That's odd, because I have a utility which highlights nofollowed links, and it is highlighting all the links on the knol.

It is working correctly at HubPages - if I go to a Hubber whose score is under 75, their links are highlighted, but yours and mine are not.

Is my utility broken, of does Google have some sneaky way to set nofollow at the top of a page for the whole page?

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

You are right Mark sad
    <meta name="robots" content="index,nofollow" />

Ahhhh!

Thanks for that.

2. Lissie profile image75
      Lissieposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Weird - does that mean the SEO addon to firefox is being fooled because  I am getting "followed" links on my knol too. 
      I did a review of what I think of knol here http://hubpages.com/hub/Knol-Hubpages-comparision

14. balisunset profile image61
    balisunsetposted 15 years ago

I see.........

So that's where the no follow tag located

15. Just_Rodney profile image69
    Just_Rodneyposted 15 years ago

If I read Knol correctly it is only available for the States therefore I am out of it.

Where does it say that?

1. Just_Rodney profile image69
        Just_Rodneyposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Maybe I niss read, but thought it said something to that effect so I stopped reading it. Maybe it was only in the tryouts.

1. profile image0
          terrygposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I'm in Australia and have been using this for quite some time. The only problem is verifying your username.

Do you have to verify your name?

1. profile image0

No, I don't think so, but it might explain why some may presume its US base.

16. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

What is no-follow? Can anyone explain me please..?

1. profile image0
      Ronald Daniarposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good question. I read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nofollow but still unsure. lol

1. weblog profile image56
        weblogposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks. I will try big_smile

2. profile image0

Blog and website owners have many tricks up their sleeves. One for a blog owner is to allow url links to follow. This often generates a lot of traffic but also spam comments.

The different types are : -

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com">Visitors Site</a>,

a link using the 'no-follow' tag will look like this:

<a href="http://www.yoursite.com" rel="nofollow">Visitors Site</a>.

It simply means that Google see's the instruction not to follow the link, meaning it will ignore the link.

A Do Follow is that Google will follow the link and if its not in the index it will queue it for indexing or if it is will add a new linking source to the url.

Thanks smile

What about urls posted in our hub comments? (unregistered users are allowed to post a url with their name) Do they have nofollow attribute by default here? (and some people spam with url inside comments' text too)

1. profile image0

I have left linked comments in hubpages when I first started and yes they were followed.

17. weblog profile image56
    weblogposted 15 years ago

Oh OK smile

18. profile image0
    Ronald Daniarposted 15 years ago

Thanks terryg! So, no follow links don't let us get inlinks which are needed to increase PR. ?? That's my conclusion lol hope it is right

1. profile image0

Exactly.

19. Inspirepub profile image71
    Inspirepubposted 15 years ago

Your links at HubPages (in comments, forum posts, and in your Hubs) are followed while your Hubber score is over 75.

In your own Hubs, the Hub's score has to be over 50 as well as your Hubber score being over 75 to keep the links followed.

If your Hubber score drops below 75, all your links will "switch off" as far as Google is concerned.

Thanks a lot Jenny smile

20. Eileen Hughes profile image61
    Eileen Hughesposted 15 years ago

Thanks inspire so gotta ge t up above 75.  Gee sounds like more work,  oh well.

1. Inspirepub profile image71
      Inspirepubposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Eileen, you're at 97 as I write this. What number are you looking at?

Jenny

21. hassam profile image73
    hassamposted 15 years ago

I havent seen any ads so far in any of the knols and I just published my Bio but it is not indexed in the search results. Things are going really slow, I think.

22. Lissie profile image75

Hmmm it appears that my Italy Travel knol is only visible to me - if  I am logged on - can anyone else see it - go to http://knol.google.com/k/knol and type Italy in the search box - find anything?

1. hassam profile image73
      hassamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No, Lissie I dont find anything, even the profiles are not being indexed.

23. Lissie profile image75

CRAP - hopefully its just their indexing being slow - which is pretty pathetic from Google anyway - my suspicion is that you have to be verified author to be published - which means as someone mentioned earlier you need a US credit card or phone number - that matchs your name!

1. hassam profile image73
      hassamposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so as it is written "You are not required to use Name Verification to use Knol" .I think they are still testing things on the site.

24. hassam profile image73
    hassamposted 15 years ago

Hmmmm... my bio knol has been indexed.

25. Lissie profile image75

Weird I can google search on +knol and +sowerbutts and find my bio knol - but when I logout of knol and try searching on their own search I don't find my own name - very odd !

26. Lissie profile image75

Update: knol does seem to have tecnical probs indexing knols LOL - my knol is indexed in google but not in knol !

27. Shirley Anderson profile image72
    Shirley Andersonposted 15 years ago

If you are new here, don't bother creating a Knol entry.
    It appears our friends at Google have made it such that others cannot search out and read your entry. Making matters worse, they refuse to respond to repeated requests on here to do something about it or at a minimum comment on why this is happening. Reminds me of the nazi censorship that goes on at wikipedia....Rich Williamson
    Post Reply ▼Hide Replies ▲07/25/2008 06:18PMLast edited 07/25/2008 06:18PMReport abusive commentHide report window

I copied this from the site.

I didn't see so much as one Adsense ad....guess I'd need to read more fully to find out how it works.

It says that it will take up to two weeks for Knol to verify your Adsense account.

Setting up Knol at Adsense was easy and quick though.

28. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

They are obviously having infancy problems. Why don't we just wait a few days and let them sort it out?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)