jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

First Hub (Commercial)

1. Dan Fisher profile image61
    Dan Fisherposted 5 years ago

Hello, I'm new to HubPages. If you could critique my first hub about St Andrews, Scotland it would be appreciated. I'm writing here commercially.

I'm attempting to target keywords, etc, without hurting the clarity and usefulness of the content.

My plan is to do a few articles about St Andrews (golf, hotels, natural walks, visiting the University) and link them together. I know the town well, so I thought it would be a good topic to learn my way around.

2. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

Hi there, and welcome to Hubpages! I have to be brutally honest -- I started reading your hub and just couldn't get past the million "St. Andrews, Scotland (Saint Andrews, Scotland)," so I didn't read much more than the first two paragraphs.

Your first lesson is that the reader comes before everything, including the search engines. Research your keywords, write for the people who will be reading the hub and then tweak it so that the search engines find it.

Many hubs/web pages have both primary and secondary keywords -- but not two primary keywords, which is what you've tried to do. My suggestion? Back to the drawing board and pick one spelling over the other. Work your secondary keyword into the body of the text once or twice and then into your tags. You could also write a similar (but unique) hub utilizing the second keyword.

Good luck!

1. Dan Fisher profile image61
      Dan Fisherposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Much appreciated Irohner.

(1) You're right. I have edited the second spelling out of the hub.

(2) A similar second hub for the alternative spelling is a well-informed suggestion.

3. Dan Fisher profile image61
    Dan Fisherposted 5 years ago

Okay, I've written my second hub -- this is the last review I'll ask for -- if you can have a look at my info. on investing in silver.

Specifically, I have a number of questions,

(1) What are your opinions on multiple medias in a Hub (writing, video, news feed,...)?

(2) Does having changing content, i.e., a news feed, boost your search engine position?

(3) Does linking to other Hubpages articles (yours or others') boost your Hubpages' rank?