jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

Open in New Window � Can it hurt rankings?

1. Barb H profile image68
    Barb Hposted 5 years ago

I would like to setup adsense to open in a new window. I have noticed that some hubbers have this feature and some do not. Is it a good idea or can it cause ranking or other issues with search engines like google? How do I configure my adsense account to open in a new window.

2. paradigmsearch profile image90
    paradigmsearchposted 5 years ago

I am confused...smile

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

Options to open links in a new window are configurable in your web browser.

Some people say when you build this option into a web page, to force links to open in a new window, that the search engines view those the same as a pop-up ad since the search engine can't tell if you are serving an ad to the viewer or not.  If that is the case, forcing a new window link could be a bad idea as the search engines frown on pop-ups.

1. Howard S. profile image84
      Howard S.posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Wow, I didn't know that! I always have my links open in a new browser window so that readers will be less likely to lose my original page. Maybe I need to research that some.

1. Rosie2010 profile image83
        Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

That wowed me too.

4. 0
    multimasteryposted 5 years ago

If you had your own site with links on it, then it is customary that when you link to other pages in your site, it is usually done in the same window (internally).  But if you link to outside links away from your site, then generally it's opened in a new tab or window.  I guess it's all about preference, but that's the way most webmasters I know of do it.  But it's bit different here at HubPages because you are not the owner of this site.  But for the most part I use the same concept here.