jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

right to speak or discuss various topics

1. ddsurfsca profile image76
    ddsurfscaposted 5 years ago

I have been a member here for a little over a year, and do not spend a lot of time but some time in the forums. 
    I have had problems in certain forums, topics like christian belief, the paranormal, and basically anything spiritual.
    There are those that would like to talk, or debate these topics but the same two or three people jump in the middle of any such discussion claiming that 'Anything not based on reality is meaningless and useless." therefore they have the right to shut down the talk altogether. Every time a topic catches my interest in these forums the same thing happens, and I for one am so sick of it.  It seems like they just have nothing better to do with their time than this.
    I wish we would be allowed to debate these topics without being bashed, made fun of, called names and the like.  Any suggestions.

1. lady_love158 profile image60
      lady_love158posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah use email.

2. tony0724 profile image59
      tony0724posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I am one of the few conservative voices at the Huffington Post. This is lightweight to what I recieve there. But remember those regular voices who post here have no life at all besides posting their drivel here. Pity them.

1. 0
        Brenda Durhamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Would you mind defining "conservative"?
        For the benefit of my knowledge, since I balk at reading the Huffington Post.  Heck, I balk at even the sound of Arianna's whining voice the few times I've seen her on tv....

1. tony0724 profile image59
          tony0724posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Brenda I just wrote a hub that might give you insight into where I am coming from. And I hang out at Huffington Post because what fun is it to hang out at a site where everyone agrees with you ?

3. J Sunhawk profile image82
      J Sunhawkposted 5 years ago in reply to this

When a rude person butts in, change the subject to knitting booties or growing mugwort. After the intruder gets bored and leaves, carry on with your original topic.

2. Kangaroo_Jase profile image80
    Kangaroo_Jaseposted 5 years ago

Learn to develop a thick skin when having a discussion in any forum and especially on 'hot topics'.

It does not matter what people say or how people say it, what does matter is how you react to it. Your own opinion is important and valuable, yet others that you come across will beg to differ with your opinion even to the point of being rude and telling you your wrong.

When you notice forums delving into flame wars of he said/she said, noone wins these arguments because they are as valuable as pissing on an electric fence. Treat it like TV in those circumstances, in that they have an instant turn off button.

3. ddsurfsca profile image76
    ddsurfscaposted 5 years ago

What happens is everyone including myself just stop posting, which is what they are after, feeling like they have won or told everyone.  It isn't a matter of winning anything, just having a discussion.  It is frustrating, and I'm afraid I will just stay away from those forums.  Too bad really.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

it's very true that those forums hardly can carry a decent, civil discourse through 4 or 5 posts. I think it's ridiculous that certain people feel they have to jump into every thread they disagree with. I guess they have nothing better to do with their time which speaks louder than their words. hmm

4. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

That's why many of us avoid the political and religious topics. People on both sides can be nasty.