jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (21 posts)

My dog self-medicated!

1. habee profile image91
    habeeposted 5 years ago

My two Great Danes don't like it when I leave them, but I went out today with my youngest daughter. When I returned home, I discovered that one of the dogs took our new bottle of cough syrup from the top of the cabinet and proceeded to self-medicate. I guess he must have a little cough! lol

The culprit is in my avatar pic. How do I know which dog was guilty? Grendel had "Robitussin breath."

I examined the bottle, and he got very little of the medicine, so I think he'll be okay. He weighs over 160 pounds, and it was an OTC cough syrup. Anyone else had this experience?

1. couturepopcafe profile image60
      couturepopcafeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Sounds funny but I question how the dog got the stuff in the first place.  Obviously the animal was smart enough to know it was not good to eat.

2. 59
      C.J. Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My Jackie used to do that. ANYTHING he saw me consume, he was sure he wanted. He was a climber as well so there realy was no stoping him.

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
        Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago in reply to this

My friend's Rotweiler does the same thing; anything food, beverage,or oral medicine, she eats or drinks.

2. mega1 profile image80
    mega1posted 5 years ago

That is very funny!  Maybe you should take your dog to AA - or the drug addict equivalent.  "Hi, my name is Grendel, and I'm a drug addict! Woof!" I've known a couple alcoholic dogs, but that was because their alcoholic owners thought it was hysterical to feed them beer until they were staggering drunk - but then they just slept.  A waste if good beer, I thought.

1. habee profile image91
      habeeposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Don't they serve refreshments at those meetings? If so, the big G would be all for it!

3. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

habee, you have the most interesting critters of almost anyone I know - there's a hub in this somewhere!

Grendel seems of sufficient size to probably survive the Robitussin unscathed, but you might want to consider a kiddy lock on the cabinet lest his self-medicating become a habit...

big_smilebig_smilebig_smile

1. habee profile image91

He'd prolly chew through it! lol

4. rmcrayne profile image94
    rmcrayneposted 5 years ago

We've had doggie-med drama at our house.  Miss Hootie, a rescue got into my brother's vitamin/supplement pack.  Many of the Standard Process products seem to smell delicious to doggies.  Unfortunately, the pack was for a week, and also contained his prescription Adderall, a stimulant med for ADD.  Late night doggie ER visit and over $500.  Anyway, here's the innocent one...

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4580860_f248.jpg

1. habee profile image91

Too cute, RM!

1. rmcrayne profile image94
        rmcrayneposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Taking a break from hubbing...
        http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4591844_f248.jpg

5. tritrain profile image76
    tritrainposted 5 years ago

My dog has a cough sometimes. 

...and I have noticed my cough drops are depleted...

6. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 5 years ago

A few years ago my daughter's purebred 'sheprotihound' (hahaha Sheppard Rotweiler and Bloodhound mix) seemed to have had a bout of arthritis which he 'self-cured' with my arthritis cream. He opened the container (chewed the lid) somehow spread it all over the floor then proceeded to roll in it... I had just made a fresh new batch for my hands so there was quite a bit. The side effect? cleared sinuses, runny eyes for hours and the sneezes... his joints were not creaky any more but nice and limber though... Dudley knew a good thing when he sniffed it because after that escapade whenever he smelled my arthritis cream on my hands he always demanded a lot of back rubs.

Hope the big guys okay Habee. What great adventures our pets give us.

1. habee profile image91

That is hilarious! I think I just discovered a new way to apply ointment! lol

2. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Great true story!

7. Pearldiver profile image87
    Pearldiverposted 5 years ago

yikes

I used to have a bitch that did that Every Time I went out! big_smile

8. lyndre profile image81
    lyndreposted 5 years ago

I wish I could stop self medicating.

sad

1. Pearldiver profile image87
      Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I thought you were working today? hmm

You should have been wrapped by now!

Don't let the boss find you kicking around on this site mate! hmm

Isn't Thursday's Special @ Subways the Foot Long Chicken Teriyaki today? smile

1. lyndre profile image81
        lyndreposted 5 years ago in reply to this

All joking aside.Working tomorrow off on an overnight flight to Africa. Won,t be home for 6 weeks.No wonder I self medicate. smile

1. Pearldiver profile image87
          Pearldiverposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Take Care.... Clear Skies and I hope you get to put your foot up! smile

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 5 years ago

...nah...no medicine...just a cat who liked to eat elastics and a dog who loved bird seed...i could always tell when the bird seed was eaten because of some of the sprouts in the yard....his waste was easy to find....  big_smile

working