jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
    Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago

California has had a lot of them on the past weeks-- . My good friend  (my children's book collaborator) and her husband  and pets have had to leave their house in the last few hours. It is  still 23 miles from us, but a  lot of people are in the path.

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 8 years ago in reply to this

My thoughts and best wishes are with you Rochelle. Fire is just aweful. I lost my tailor shop to a fire not so long ago, it totally changed my life. I can still smell it.

Stay safe  kindest regards Zsuzsy

1. Rochelle Frank profile image89
        Rochelle Frankposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Wildfires are not threatening our property right now.. but I know people  20  miles away who have had to move out  with what they could load in cars.

2. Hovalis profile image88
    Hovalisposted 8 years ago

Coming from an area that gets just these types of fires, I know the feeling all too well. I hope that your friends are able to come home soon, and that they can get the fire behind containment lines quickly.

20 miles isn't all that far away. You'd still be getting the ash and smoke if the wind is blowing in your direction, so my thoughts are with you, too. It's the most unsettling and almost oppressive feeling having a large fire in the distance knowing that, beyond the emergency preparations, there is nothing you can do but wait.

3. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

Wildfires are very traumatic.  I lived in Lake Arrowhead during the 2003 fires and many of our friends lost their houses in Cedar Glen during that fire.  When we were evacuating from the back side of the mountain you could see the fire, which was quite panic inducing.  My family still lives in the San Bernardino Mountains and they evacuated during the 2007 fires, but my dad stayed because he was worried about the flames coming so close to the houses.  I would never stay near a fire personally, but I think he and a neighbor were pretty brave to hose down the the flames that were less than hundred feet from their houses. The firefighters were too busy to get to the part of the mountain during the first day of the fires and my dad and neighbor helped to save their houses. Fire is a real threat and I must say you begin to panic when you can see it not far from your house.  I hope everyone near the current fires can get to safety because it is a very scary to be in this predictment.

4. topstuff profile image61
    topstuffposted 8 years ago

People can save themselves by moveing  away  but what about their homes if they turnout to ashes.Will the government compensate the effected people.

5. SweetiePie profile image83
    SweetiePieposted 8 years ago

My family and friends never received a penny of federal aid.  However, most of them had home owner's insurance, which had helped to compensate pretty well.  Insurance reimbursed them for the price of the evacuation and things of that nature.  Our family friend received enough from his insurance to build a much nicer home in a different location, so for him it worked out well.  I paid for our entire family to stay at a hotel one night, but I will never get any compensation for that of course and it was not a big deal to me.  Another friend was renting and did not have home owner's insurance, so they did not receive any federal aid or insurance money.  Jennifer Love Hewitt is a very nice person because she helped raised several charity events, one of which helped to give our friend's children some new toys and bikes.