jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (10 posts)

How Can You Increase Your Author Score?

1. Hivesguy profile image61
    Hivesguyposted 5 years ago

After a while of not posting, I was pleasantly surprised to see my author score in the 80's. This inspired me to start posting articles here again. However, now I have noticed it dipped down to 74. Ugh, that is a bit frustrating.

What can I do to increase the author score? Is there anything at all?

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Trust me on this - unless you are a spammer, post duplicate content, or are here just for backlinks to your own site there is NO need to worry about your author score.

It fluctuates based on a range of things including traffic, your hub scores, activity etc.

When you post a new article it will often dip because articles start with a low score and have to climb their way up.

However the score isn't there as an indication of your writing - it's just a way to monitor and stop spammers. A few more hubs and you'll probably reach 90.

I've been over 90 for about 7 months and some of those months I haven't posted a hub or interacted on the site. So it will come, don't stress!

3. reindeerz profile image76
    reindeerzposted 5 years ago

I think it has something to do with length of your hub too. I post about all sorts of things but one topic I post about more than anything I can usually only come up with around 300 words a hub on!  So I think this keeps my overall score from getting higher than it does.

4. Hivesguy profile image61
    Hivesguyposted 5 years ago

Thanks so much for the advice! I really appreciate it so much. Hopefully it will climb back up. I did recently add about 4-5 articles, so maybe that is why.

5. GmaGoldie profile image87
    GmaGoldieposted 5 years ago

I cringe when I drop below 90.  I just feel unloved.  I jump for joy when it is over 90.  Hopefully someday I will be like Wrylite and be over 90 for months at a time.  Meanwhile I continue to keep trying.

Thanks for the words of advice - this is very helpful information as it bothers as if I am not getting a passing grade for my class.

I even delay publishing when my score is over 90 because I absolutely hate it when it dips.

I know, I know the score fluctuates but oh, I am a numbers person - just simply cannot help myself.

1. Rosie2010 profile image82
      Rosie2010posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm with you.. I got my score up to 90 ONCE but the next day it went back to the 80's.. what did I do? I kept asking myself.. I was so down for a few days.  I know too that scores fluctuates but it's a high for me to see my score rise. lol I'm too shallow, what can I say.

2. tritrain profile image76
      tritrainposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yeah....I feel like a loser

6. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 5 years ago

All these people have given good advice, but it's clear to me that they either haven't looked at your Hubs or have only done so in the most cursory fashion.  Having reviewed a variety of your Hubs, the reason for your falling score seems quite obvious to me.

Be sure to read the below-linked part of the FAQ and especially take note of the very first bullet point listed. 

7. 0
    KJS411posted 5 years ago

Great question and even better answers. I haven't been overly concerned with the score and from what I have read it isn't too terribly important. I'm new to HubPages and have seen fluctuations and did notice it typically drops a few points each time I publish a new hub. The score will take care of itself as long as you continue to publish quality hubs and don't forget to enjoy the writing.

8. NateSean profile image84
    NateSeanposted 5 years ago

In my experience, it helps to have a variety of articles on different subjects.

The people who have their scores at above 90 have articles on recipes, favorite topics, etc.

My winning articles so far are about Job Corps. And because of the economy, with so many kids joining Job Corps every year, it makes sense that alot of them are coming to me.

But I also post my own writing and hubs about things that interest me in my day to day life. Maybe that's what you need to do.

Diversify. Expand.