jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)

The Difference between a Hub and a Blog

1. NateSean profile image84
    NateSeanposted 5 years ago

To me it's simple.

A blog is a paragraph and a half of your opinion on whatever. It may get the approval and attention of your friends. But ultimately, it doesn't interest me because I have my own opinion on the subject.

A hub is informative. It takes advantage of the interactive nature of videos, the polls, and the other aspects that hub has to offer to teach and inform me of a subject. Rather talking "AT" me, you're talking "to" me and making me interested in your subject.

So that's my differences between a hub and a blog. What are yours?

1. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image95
      Wesman Todd Shawposted 5 years ago in reply to this

There's really no difference at all to me.  I used to have friends on myspace that would put together some very epic blogs with the most painstaking care. . . .for fun.  Hubpages, however, with the capsule format, and the possible revenues has made me, for one, do "blogs" that are far superior to the ones I used to do on myspace.  Of course, as I do want to make some money too, HP has sort of inspired me to start talking about the products that I use and love as well.  It's also a great place to discuss some of my professional work related topics and issues. . . .because within limits every subject is a good subject here.

2. Mighty Mom profile image92
    Mighty Momposted 5 years ago

Good description.
    To me the difference is that each hub is a discrete article. As a hubber you are free to choose unlimited topics to write on. Your hubs may or may not connect with a single theme or topic.
    Also, Hub Pages frowns upon hubs aimed solely at your own personal network of friends, family, colleagues.
    Our goal here is to get our articles great rankings on the search engines so that big audiences read our work and click on our links! If you relied only on your friends/family to read and comments on your hubs you wouldn't make much money! MM

1. Bronson_Hub profile image80
      Bronson_Hubposted 5 years ago in reply to this

This is something I'm slowly coming to accept and adjust to.  When in rome...

<3 Hubpages!

3. TomC35 profile image61
    TomC35posted 5 years ago

Though I have made little off of my blog so far, I have made some, versus nothing with Hubpages.

A blog does not have to be an opinion.  Really a blog can be like your own personal website, anything you want it to be.

Depending on what service/domain you have your blog through, you will usually have much more creative control than on Hubpages, but you also have to know how to do more yourself. 

Hubpages makes it simple for people afraid of setting up their own websites.  It also has a built in traffic base.  Though Hubpages is usually more article base versus opinions, it, as well as a blog, can be used for either.

4. To Start Again profile image84
    To Start Againposted 5 years ago

I think MM said it best- a person's hubs can be about a variety of topics and, while a blog can be too, they typically follow a general theme. I also like what Tom said about " [HP] also has a built in traffic base." I happen to like that about this place smile

5. IzzyM profile image85
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

I've seen people post great articles on their blogs, which I think is a waste because they could post it here instead and maybe reach a wider audience.
    Just saying...some people have made better use of their blogs than just a paragraph or two on nothing much.