Software - photography

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

Hi all...i would like to purchase software for use with some of my photography...something that i can get creative with...collages etc.  I'd like software that is not too expensive and not extremely difficult to use.   I'm trying out something called Microsoft Research Auto Collage...however, i'm sure i am only able to access some of its features since it is for a 30 day trial period only.  I created a collage, but the software basically does the work and determines which photos it deems the most interesting...i'd rather have more control over which photos are used and what i consider interesting.  The collage was quite nice, but i didn't feel like i was actually the one creating it...Any suggestions for me?

thanks!

1. recommend1 profile image60
      recommend1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

or - for just the functions you list here Photoscape is a free download that does a limited number of tasks like those real quick, intuitively easy and controllable.  Hi SOH, how you been doin' while I've been gone ? big_smile

SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol....no way?  big_smile

big_smile the one and only big_smile

...i luv it!....big_smile....okay just to be sure...who was your first born...j/k....

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Hahaha Fancy That big_smile

Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 Plus

If you buy it via the US in February it is about $129 USD and they'll give you 20 gs storage on site + as many templets you need.

Go to the site... you can download a basics temp to play with and get to know the system with.... Have Fun Mate! smile

thanks PD...so in relation to the storage...storing photos?...is that safe?...

I'll check it out.

one more question - is that the photoshop that some may consider the 'professional package'?

oh wait, another question - what's a templet...better yet i'll just go see....

thank you!

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes - It is Pro enough to set up an entire design studio with if you want to make some bucks!

Forget the one you were looking at... it doesn't come close.

Your storage on their site is secure and you can use it if you are working on projects etc.

You should keep your pics off your main unit anyway... Like Use an External Hard drive for your pics.

I'll come work with you... sooooooo much opportunity out there! smile

The Templets are the base building blocks that you use to create any works you want... eg: A Photo Frame... or montage layouts etc.
        A great white shark eating someone - that you put your friend's face into the mouth of... 1000s of them! smile

If you're just cruising... have a look at Neave.com for web graphics!

...interesting PD...i'm downloading now to try it out....i wasn't really researching for dollar purposes...creativity of some of my photos...you have me thinking now....thinking, thinking, thinking.........

2. recommend1 profile image60

Hi PD - I hope you missed me too !! big_smile   you should drop by my hub and look at what is on offer instead of chasing SOH around the place, still !

BLATANT SPAMMER!!! roll big_smile

I try big_smile

3. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Yeah Well that's me mate!  The provoker of thoughts smile

...yup...and thanks for getting me thinking....i can't wait to try it out....

4. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...wow...the trial download is huge...it's still downloading....

5. Julie2 profile image61
    Julie2posted 13 years ago

I have been looking for something to use myself. Thank you guys for the info.

6. Midnight Oil profile image82
    Midnight Oilposted 13 years ago

Try downloading the Gimp photo software  - its totally free and does much of the things that Photoshop does.  I have been using it for years on my pictures with great results.  Simple to download and use.

Give it a try....  http://www.gimp.org/    it's free...

...thanks for the info. MO...i'll check it out...i'm looking at Photoshop Elements at the moment...trial...

2. Julie2 profile image61
      Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Midnight I downloaded Gimp and am so freaking confused. Do you know if they sell the Gimp for Dummies book? LOL

...ha ha...i haven't checked it out yet!

...i downloaded the one PD referred to...trial basis...butttttt.....it screwed up my pc...so i had to dump it....i'm going to try again...i think i need to ditch my laptop...it causes me grief....

1. gbrgn profile image60
          gbrgnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try this free program.

http://www.getpaint.net/

Paint is Really Really Basic as far as Pro Graphics is concerned smile

2. leahlefler profile image94
        leahleflerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Julie, GIMP takes a little getting used to. I have written a few articles and tutorials on GIMP - once you get used to the layers dialog it gets easier!

1. Julie2 profile image61
          Julie2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you love. I will go check those hubs out right now! smile

7. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

If you're like me 'get things done' type of person then better stick to Photoshop or Painshop Photo Pro. File formats from these two programs are preferred in the market in case if you're going to sale design sources.

big_smile  We Know That!!

I Mean.... You & I Know That smile

Followed By..... ????

Here - Elements 9

8. leahlefler profile image94
    leahleflerposted 13 years ago

I have a couple that have video tutorials (the image quality isn't crystal clear, but it gives you the general idea). The one about how to make an image black and white with color has a video, along with the digital scrapbooking one. Both use the layers tab, and a lot of techniques can be done with the layers window (a collage can be made in a similar way to creating a digital scrapbook page).

9. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61

...i'm going to attempt to download Elements again...if it doesn't work....i buy a new laptop and get rid of this piece of crap....i've too many ideas for my photos that i want to check out...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)