jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (5 posts)

Calculate summary automatically or not...

1. 0
    Shayla Ebsenposted 5 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions on whether or not to allow the search listings content for hubs to calculate automatically? I am wondering whether or not this is a detail I should be concerned with when editing my hubs or if I should just allow HubPages to calculate the summary information automatically.

Thanks in advance!

1. Uninvited Writer profile image82
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've heard it's best to write an original summary of your hubs.

2. Aficionada profile image94
      Aficionadaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Try reading the way it's automatically calculated and see whether you as a searcher/reader would want to pursue the article from the blurb you see.  If it's a good summary, leave it as is.  If it puts you off, rewrite it yourself.

2. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

All it does is take the first few words of your hub and put it into that summary. 

If those first words are what will draw a reader to your hub then it's fine. If those first words won't accomplish that then you should write your own.

Personally I write my own as I prefer not to have to word my first sentence or so as to sell my hub.

3. livewithrichard profile image86
    livewithrichardposted 5 years ago

It's only important to write an original summary if your keywords are not in the first sentence of your hub.  The search engines will include something like the first 140 or 150 characters to display with the SERP's.  This is a good place to use multiple configurations of your keyword phrases.  It doesn't have to be long, but it should give the searcher an idea of what to expect if they click on your link.