Getting a lot of followers destroys Hub score

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (59 posts)
  1. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 13 years ago

Not complaining but I don't understand hub. In an attempt to get involved, I started following a lot of Hubbers. Many of them followed me back and I am seeing a dramatic increase in viewing traffic for my hubs. I guess Hub didn't like this since they took my score from 89 to currently 78 and dropping. Anyone else experience this or know what the beef is with following people??

Peter Owenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Neglected to add "Should I care that they destroyed my score" ????????????

2. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In all honesty, you brought this on yourself.  Be sure to read the last point in this entry from the FAQ,

http://hubpages.com/faq/#fanclub

I agree. But on the upside, I am intereacting with a lot of hubbers now that they are following me back and having some nice discussions.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
          Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If that's the case, you should bounce back.

3. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Subscribing to a view or having a personal perception that hubberscore is important will drastically increase your chances of becoming dissapointed by that irrelevant number on a screen. In your case, your perception of the importance of those particular statistics have been your subsequent downfall. The only remedy is to do what most other people do, concentrate on the statistics which really matter, the ones with a '$' sign in front of them.

1. Bronson_Hub profile image60
        Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I know we're in a fight right now, but I couldn't agree more.  Mr. Owen, Ryankett speaks the truth.  It's frustrating that you're penalized for enjoying the social aspect of Hubpages.  Like Ryankett said, we have bigger fish to fry.  Thus I'm not invalidating your point, your complaint has merit.  Perhaps the allure of greater things will help relieve you of this minor setback.  I am also speaking from recent experience.  Best of luck, monsieur!

4. Mark Reinert profile image58
      Mark Reinertposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Peter, it's probably just an automated process that is based on an assumption that most people who start to follow as many as you did all at once aren't seriously interested in them. You got caught in the gears of that so to speak and your score will probably even out over time.

I'm new to Hubpages but my guess from reading is that if you were to start following 2 people per day for 7 days it would hurt your score less than if you started following 14 people all at once. 

Facebook does a similar thing. I was at a workshop and met a bunch of fascinating people but because I tried to add them all as friends in one sitting the next evening (I was afraid I'd forget if I waited), and due to that Facebook's system assumed I was a spammer.

That is exactly what happened. Score as of this morning is 81 after making some more hub comments.

5. tritrain profile image70
      tritrainposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand why receiving many followers would hurt you. 

Your following others, I could understand.

Hi - it happened because I sent them friend requests first, I did many of these. Score didnt budge until the peole started accepting and then the score went south.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
          Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter please may I suggest you are rather too wrapped up in the score thing.

Write hubs. Make sure they are not all the same thing reworked, or copied or any of those obvious bad things.
          Comment sensibly and in a restrained manner.
          Post occasionally to forums.
          Answer the odd question - maybe one a week.
          Hub hop - sensibly and fairly.

Don't do anything to excess. Don't try to game the system.

Just a suggestion.

I agree Mark - natural balance is the key. I've stopped looking  at the score so often except when one of these posts asks me about it.

2. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Block following is easy to do and is frowned upon as it is pretty much not a true indicator of 'readership' popularity - if you feel the need to boost or inflate your fan base, then restrict the number that you fan to the number of their articles that you actually read and comment on. 
    This provides a plus on the ledger as opposed to the minus from bulk fanning (effectively seen as a spamming exercise - that gets picked up as a self promo deal).
    It also will aide you in growing PR and SE traffic as it shows that your community involvement is genuine. Your objective should be to develop - YOU The Writer and do so in a way that you provide the SEs with value via quality and original content. In that way you are effectively branding!
    My PR is 4 which means that I have developed SE presence and the name Pearldiver is seen as a quality producer over a range of subjects and niches. It takes time and a lot work, but the rewards are quite remarkable. I have put poetry into the first 5 slots on SEs over numerous subjects. - That is not an easy task, but once done provides a huge development base for growth.

Maybe you can tell me at some stage what you stated you wouldn't waste your time on repeating smile

So do you now think that going back, reading and commenting on an article for each hubber would help correct the score?

1. Bronson_Hub profile image60
        Bronson_Hubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Probably, but more importantly, say it like you mean it!  tongue

"Great post!"  Usually makes me throw up a little.  I didn't realize how good authentic feedback feels until recently a few hubbers took time out of their day to write a good paragraph or two AFTER reading my many walls of text that would make most people reply, "TLDR;"

It sounds like you enjoy the hubs of the people you follow so this might be a non-issue for you.

2. Glenn Stok profile image95
        Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter, Comment only if you have something of value to add to the discussion. Commenting for the sole purpose of hoping to get traffic is not being genuine. I think people will pick up on that. I've noticed you commented in a couple of my hubs and never bothered to check back to see what my response was. That showed me that you were not really interested in the subject after all. I had tried to refer you to a local HubPages Meetup near you listed in the HubPages Forum.

Sorry, but you asked!  Anyway, if you put more effort into writing good hubs and commenting on subjects when you really feel something about it, then the rest of what you want will come along in time.

By the way, I bet I know why your score is presently coming up again at this moment (down to 78 when you blindly followed and commented, but now up to 85). It's probably because you started a great discussion thread here. You see, that is real! That's what counts.

Thx for the note. I actually have been getting more serious. I'm not just commenting on every person to get the score up. I'm going thru each hubber who I am following and selecting hubs I like. If I don't like any, I go onto the next person. I get emails on every comment that comes in and, honestly, I don't remeber your sending since I have been getting quite a few the past 2 days. Not saying I didn't read it, I simply just don't remember, so I'm sorry if it appears that I don't care. I have been trying to  reply to every comment that comes in.
          thx again for the observations.

1. Glenn Stok profile image95
            Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just go back to all the comments you made and see what replies you may have gotten. Hubbers usually post a reply in the comment capsule, not by email. Problem is you were commenting all over the place and I can understand how you lost track. You can also check off the box to receive an automatic email to let you know when the author had replied to you.

2. Karanda profile image80
      Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sound advice from all the above but pay particular notice to Pearldiver, oh wise one in these matters.

Unlike Facebook, Twitter and the like, HubPages actually frowns upon gathering followers for gatherings sake. Following someone works best if you have actually read their Hubs and want to follow what they write in the future. Your score will fluctuate regardless. Work toward becoming a member of the community and it will rise again.

3. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Hi Peter, good thread. My view is you should ride it out. Your hubscore is still above 75 so your links are still dofollow.

We all know from Twitter, Facebook and the like, the more you follow the more you have follow you back. That is a well known technique for building your followers. 

The end result is each time you publish a new hub, you are safe knowing that your followers are going to pick up an email letting them know you have just posted.

I agree with the comments above and moderation is the key.

4. Peter Owen profile image59

Thx all. I started reading more hubs and leaving comments and will gradually go thru everyone I followed. My score had been 90, they took me down to 78 and as of tonight I am back up to 80. I guess I will slowly rise back.
    All in all though it has been a worthwhile exercise. I'll keep you updated in a few days so we know better how this rating system works

5. fastfreta profile image75
    fastfretaposted 13 years ago

Say Peter, I know this is off the subject, but did anyone ever tell you that you look like Piers Morgan? big_smile big_smile big_smile  But on the subject, my hubscore seems to go down without explanation regularly now.  So I don't know if it has anything to do with your activity.

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL tongue

2. Peter Owen profile image59

actually , one person did tell me that. Poor Piers.
      If score dropping, from what I have learned in this, if you click to follow people without leaving a comment on their hub, your score will drop.

1. Ign Andy profile image59
        Ign Andyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hubpages Piers... Peter smile
        I agree with Ryan, the number you should worried 75 for Profile Score, and the most important is $$$$ and traffic.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

If you are worried about your Authorscore, which is the little number along side your profile picture, then you must realize that number only boosts one's ego and nothing more.

That number will vary to a certain degree depending on your own activity within the entire Hubpages Community. Everyone fluctuates up and down, based on their own activity. You will be no different.

Welcome to Hubpages! smile

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm wary of those that have very low scores

1. Pcunix profile image91
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As well you should be.

They are the type who lounge against buildings and, as you walk by, whisper "Hey, wanna buy some backlinks?  Or a watch?".

The watch may look good in the dim light, but when you get it home, you'll see that it actually says "Bolibia, 17 jules" and the backlinks are all from a Japanese pastry chef who has somehow managed to create 17,000 pages about pastry and is now adding cheap backlinks to those pages.

THAT'S what you'll get from those low hubber score types!

1. Karanda profile image80
          Karandaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

2. Pcunix profile image91

Nonsense.

Every time I hit 100, I take a screenshot, print it out, date it, and put it in my  S&H Greenstamp book.  I only need to get there 6 more times and we get a new toaster.

I do wish we had need of a new toaster, but that's hardly their fault.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
        Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Well that Nonsense that you directed your post at - Knew That.. but wasn't going to make a Public Announcement that he only needs ONE and he can replace his BlowUp Pet yikes

And then..... Another FOUR to make the Eye Lids and Tail work! big_smile

Hmm.. You make me think that I should not send in my book prematurely..

1. Pearldiver profile image66
            Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thought that would have been obvious to an Old Bullster big_smile

Let the boys with training wheels do the running and suffer that bad habit of quickly relieving their little problem big_smile

2. Sally's Trove profile image78
        Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Having been an auditor for redeemed S&H Green Stamps books, I would never have validated your printouts. Sorry you missed the toaster even though you didn't need it.

Hub score means nothing. I've had 100 for more than a month, and, damn it, I'm not getting the redemption value of one book of stamps in terms of AdSense or any other dollars! But I do get a lot of followers.

3. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

@Pcunix~ If you can't use your toaster, I know someone who can;  maybe offer them a cheap deal...maybe a backlink in trade? wink
        Hope this finds you well my friend.

7. Peter Owen profile image59

I did a bunch of commenting on  hubs of people I  followed. I am now back  up to 84 from 78.
    I realize the number is basically wothless, but then again, if hubbers are like me, they will tend to follow people with higher scores in their desired category than they have.So maybe it is not worthless to have a high score.

1. Sally's Trove profile image78
      Sally's Troveposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Peter, I've been enjoying our back and forth, so you have a follower here. Give it time. You've been here for 7 weeks; I've been here for 3 years. The profile scores jump around, and they don't matter at the 7-week mark.

Just write good stuff, enjoy your HP networking, and revisit your profile score concerns 2 years from now.  smile

2. NorDac profile image59
      NorDacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would be somewhat worried about having a score of 78. 4 more points and you hub links could turn "NoFollow". although I think high scoring hubs will remain nofollow even if your personal score is low.

It's worth keeping your score up to insure your links remain Dofollow.

thx. The scores baffle me. I  go up and down between 78 and 85. I was 85 this mornging, now 7 hours later I'm 78 and didn't do much but some commentating on stories.

1. NorDac profile image59
          NorDacposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yah, I can say I definitely don't have a good handle on it either. Something you might look at though, how is your "hubkarma" There are a number of ways to raise that one is by using the link suggestions on your hubs.

I'm not sure I would be overly worried at this point, but if your score drops and a quick check shows that your links are no longer dofolllow, you might consider doing some of the link suggestions on some of your hubs. That might be enough to pull you back up again. (or not, I'm not positive)

Hub Karma is 94.
            How do you check to see if lings are no longer Do Follow?

1. lakeerieartists profile image63
              lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your links are automatically do follow as long as your Hubber Score is above 75.  And it will go up and down every single day.  That is just the way it is. 

Just keep writing hubs, and you will be fine.

8. darkside profile image64
    darksideposted 13 years ago

Getting a lot of followers does not impact negatively on your HubberScore.

TRYING to get a lot of followers by going on a spree of following lots of other people is what causes the negatives impact.

Important distinction, yes.

9. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Sounds to me like you made a mistake, learned a lot from it, and it is onward and upward from here.

yes - the amount learned made the mistake very worthwhile. Now, what other mistakes can I try??

Oh, you could do a fast and furious backlinking campaign using linkwheels and automation.  You could try Adsense arbitrage.

You could post in the Religion or Politics forums smile

LOL - I think  I'll pass

10. BobbiRant profile image59
    BobbiRantposted 13 years ago

In all honesty it 'does' depend on who you are here.  Others can dispute that little tidbit all they like but some have huge followers and they follow many yet Never drop a point or two, I've noticed.  The program used to calculate scores has need for improvement here anyway.

11. Uninvited Writer profile image81
    Uninvited Writerposted 13 years ago

The thing is...if you go on a jag and friend lots of people on one day, your score will go down. Slowly gathering followers and slowly following those you are interested in is the way to go.

I don't think I even follow 100 hubbers.

12. Peter Owen profile image59

Just a follow up.
    My score went from 90 down to 78 as a result of my following a lot of people, then went back up to 85 as I put out selective comments. Now it is dropping again, down to 81. I have put out 3 more articles, commented a bit on hubbers both those that are followers and those that are not. Interesting.
    Glen  may have been right, the score could have gone back up because of this Thread

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
      PaulGoodman67posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I stopped publishing hubs for a week and my score went up!  :-)

I no longer care about the number. I did one comment yesterday and my score dropped from 84 to 78. Today it back to 80. Go figure.

oops - just went to 83. This is utterly confusing.

1. Garrett Mickley profile image79
            Garrett Mickleyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I understand you've only been here for 2 months, but this is pretty normal until you've built up a clout in the community.  Be active on the forums, don't advertise your own hubs, post new (GOOD) hubs regularly, edit (update) old hubs regularly, go Hub Hopping.

13. DDS profile image81
    DDSposted 12 years ago

I managed to get mine up to 91, then back to like 88 (a dubious score)

Now I am back up to 90 and I am hungry for toast!! 

*sits and waits for free toaster*

14. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Just an update after destroying my hubscore in February.
    My efforts to do things naturally, Unfollowing hubbers whose material I wont read much, participating in forums, following people whose material interests me:
    - In April, May - I got the score back up between 79-84 and most of time averaged around 81.
    - today, score jumped to 87
    So it appears writing , following , participating naturally without trying to force the system is working.

15. Peter Owen profile image59
    Peter Owenposted 12 years ago

Also, some people have asked me exactly what I did wrong - so I wrote a hub a while back.
    Since people get a bit testy if I post the link here, just look at my profile for the Hub concerning Hubscore.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)