jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

big popup ads???

1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

What is with these giant popups?

That kind of intrusive advertising causes me to not want to read anything more from a site that deploys these.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image82
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can you send us that screenshot to team(at)hubpages(dot)com so we can investigate?

Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

On its way.

2. PhoenixV profile image79
      PhoenixVposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I have never gotten a pop up on Hubpages. I hope it never happens, websites go downhill fast with them. Maybe you need to run a computer scan?

Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No, it's not an infection.

Other people have reported these (I noticed that after posting this) and HP staff seems to be aware of them as they request details and screen shots.

I suspect it is YieldBuild (HP uses them for ad serving). YieldBuild has an option to display these obnoxious things.  I expect that HP has that option shut off but that YB sometimes screws up and displays them anyway.

2. leahlefler profile image98
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

I agree. Sometimes you cannot remove the ad in question, preventing access to the material under the ad. I was on the Disney site and an ad for a vehicle was over the material, and I could not make it go away. I left the site and won't be back (it was Disney's official site - I can't figure out why they needed advertising for revenue on that page, anyway)!

3. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 5 years ago

Hubpages tries to monitor the adverts that are displayed. From what I've seen they remove any adverts that scroll across the page, do annoying things etc. If you are able to contact them with the site name advertised and as much information as possible, they'll remove it.