Not sure where to put this...

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (17 posts)
  1. Nicole Winter profile image60
    Nicole Winterposted 15 years ago

So, some of you guys know that I've been trying to sell my IPOD for... well, like two months now.  Before you start getting all clickity, no, I'm not trying to use HubPages to sell my IPOD, I want to discuss an e-mail that I got from a prospective buyer.  There's no "internet" topic under topics, but there is a technology topic listing, but I don't really think it would go well under there, so I'm posting this here instead... Prospective buyer sends me an e-mail that goes like this:

Hello ,

I do appreciate your reply and very much interested in buying it from you.i want you to know that am okay with the amount of the Ipod  $300 . Am making this as birthday gift for my close relative who reside in west-africa. I would have love that you send it to me here in "Chicago"then i can have it package and shipped out but i can't because am handicap and am on a wheel chair. So i seek your assistance in sending it to him.

My mode of payment is via Pay-pal and i will like you to give your Pay-pal account for me to send money in to your account

The shipping will be via USPS(United States Postal Service)Global Express Mail "EMS" www.usps.com you can check, $50 for shipping to africa making total payment $350. Below is the shipping address were the item we be send to:

Name: Moses Willison
    Address: 90, Adebola Street Off Adeniran Ogunsanya.
    City: Surulere
    State: Lagos
    Zip Code: 23401

Awaiting your urgent mail, so that i can make payment to you via Pay-pal today and you can have item sent tomorrow morning . Have a nice day

Thank you and God Bless.
    Nia
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Correct me if you think I'm wrong, but doesn't this sound AWFUL fishy?  I've reposted the ad to the Chicago Reader & the Chicago Craiglist site specifically because I want to meet someone in person and in a public place to sell my IPOD for nothing other than cash or a money order.  I think I'm being smart here, but the boyfriend thinks I need to sell it.  NOW.  So I can make another payment on my rent.  Now, my landlord is being pretty cool, so I don't feel like I have to rush out and sell the thing to just anybody who will probably rip me off and get my precious, precious technology to boot.  I've been getting a ton of e-mails from people who want to send this IPOD all over the world, (it's always a gift for some relative,) and don't live in Chicago, or want to do things with a bank cheque or some other weirdness because they're too busy to meet me.  Any advice / comments, guys?

--- NAW

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

Once you have been paid - then send it smile

3. Nicole Winter profile image60

Yeah, but Mark, can't they get their money back from me through PayPal after they've received the item?

--- NAW

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so no. Although, I wouldn't trust paypal as far as I could throw them. smile

2. darkside profile image65
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Yes they can.

I know someone who sold something through ebay, got the money, the buyer made a complaint about the condition that the product was in after they received it, and they got a refund. And never sent back the product.

Nigeria has a very bad reputation (though the incident that happened with the person I know didn't involve a Nigerian) and it's been well deserved too. Personally I wouldn't sell the item to this person.

4. jim10 profile image65
    jim10posted 15 years ago

It sound very questionable. Try selling it on Craigslist and have them pay cash. Are you expecting too much money for the Ipod. I would expect it to sell a lot faster.

Nicole Winterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Jim, yeah.  $300 for a 1st Generation (excellent working order,) IPOD mini.  My thing is that I think they're going to be collectibles, and... well, I don't really want to sell it, so I want as much money as possible for it, because I love it and it's my baby, and it's 6GB of my music down the drain 'cuz I can't figure out how to upload my IPOD to my ITUNES library.  And yeah, I am asking for cash / money order and for someone to meet me in a public place around Chicago.  I've been getting a lot of replies offering everything but, and they all sound a little fishy to me.

---NAW

1. profile image0
        daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That is a well known Nigerian scam.  You'll lose all $350 and your Ipod.  Don't do it.

Do you know how they use Paypal to scam people, though?  Do they get refunds somehow through PayPal?

2. Dottie1 profile image61
          Dottie1posted 15 years agoin reply to this

Ditto smile

5. stephhicks68 profile image86
    stephhicks68posted 15 years ago

I think it looks fishy.  I wouldn't sell it for other than cold hard cash.  If you need payment so badly, then the last thing you want is to lose your iPod and then have to try to track down the person that stole it from you through a scam.  I wouldn't do PayPal - plus, you lose a part of the sale through fees.

Thanks, stephhicks, I'm happy to see I'm not the only person who feels this way, I think my boyfriend is just worried that I'll end up on the streets with my IPOD and little else.  I'm working it elsewhere, so I'm going to hang onto my technology until I get an offer too good to refuse that meets my requirements.

6. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

What Dafla and Darkside said.
    It's not a little fishy, it's a scam, and you don't have to know all the mechanics to tell it's a scam. Ipods mini are sold on Ebay below $100. What makes you thinking you are getting a free lunch this time? This thing sounds exactly too good to be true, no matter how exactly they are going to rip you off of your money. smile

7. spryte profile image74
    spryteposted 15 years ago

To be honest...when I first read the email from Nigeria, I thought..."you can't be serious."

Here's why:

The letter reads...

"My mode of payment is via Pay-pal and i will like you to give your Pay-pal account for me to send money in to your account."

You NEVER give your Pay-pal information directly to the buyer.  EVER.  You give Paypal the information on your buyer.  You aren't sending him $350.00...you've just given him complete access to whatever bank account is tied into your paypal account.

If you sell your IPOD through ebay, the price probably won't be as good as you want, but you do not have to deal directly with the buyer (except to ship the package) and all financial matters can be put through Paypal who guarantees your payment.

Good luck!

8. Nicole Winter profile image60

Thanks so much guys for your comments and observations!  I really appreciate everything ya'all have had to say on the subject, I've deleted the original e-mail after saving the addy to a folder called "Scams and DNO" (do not opens,) I didn't even think about it at the time, I thought her english was just poor, she couldn't possibly be asking me for my PayPal account info, but you're right, she was, it's right there in the e-mail.    What a world we live in!  Thanks for the reality check, guys.

--- NAW

9. DonnaCSmith profile image83
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

It is a scam. Ignore it. I get these simular ads every time I post ads online - selling horses, riding lessons, anything!

10. efeglo profile image59
    efegloposted 15 years ago

Please can someone help new Hub writers at least for us to be encourage and tell how we are doing? Hub writers are very encouraging.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)