jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (6 posts)

How can I start my own website?

1. sid_candid profile image59
    sid_candidposted 5 years ago

How can I start my own website? I have identified a few niches on which to build a few websites. But I have a few questions:

1) I am from India so which is the best company to buy domain and web hosting with.

2) What is the best capacity for a website in terms of space available?

3) Which websites are best i.e. .com, co.in, .info etc.

4) Which are the best affiliate programs to make my website profitable?

1. simeonvisser profile image86
      simeonvisserposted 5 years ago in reply to this

1. I wouldn't know.

2. Focus on bandwidth. Many websites with articles don't need a lot of hosting space. You can host videos elsewhere (YouTube and then embed) and images don't need to take up so much space. You'll want a hosting package that allows you to have a lot of bandwidth for a decent price.

3. I'd say .com if it is available.

4. I'll leave this question to more experienced people.

2. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image90
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 5 years ago

There are several aspects of starting a website.

Free ones are readily available, but tend to have bandwidth limitations and have many adverts which you might not like or want.

If you wish to buy a website, then you'll need to purchase a domain name - such as whatever.com or whatever.org - and then you'll need to decided if you wish to pay for private registration of this (to prevent people looking-up your identity or residential address.)  You'll also need to pay for hosting of your website.

When researching providers, check their renewals fees as this is where many make their real money.

3. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

If you can use Debit card for online transactions then getting reliable hosting from overseas is much better option.
    Hosting Sites - Hostgator, Site5, Dreamhost.
    Domain registration: Namecheap, Godaddy, Bigrock.

Most of the hosting services offer unlimited hosting. (Note: Overselling pitch) In reality you get 987-GB per domain (*ref hostgator/dreamhost standard). If you're going to start niche sites then 1-4GB is more than enough for single site.

Which region you want to target ? Regional domains are much better if you're going to target specific region. If you're thinking about generic niche that covers international market then .com, .net and .org are to pick. In case of india, choosing .in or .co. in domains will give you better conversion. By the way if your content is good then it really doesn't matter what domain extension you pick, still it's always better to plan ahead.

Clickbank (Note: Read about dormant/CDR policies).
    CJ (Read: Dormant Account policy)
    Flipkart (store like amazon in india, low conversion but still)

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 5 years ago in reply to this

India based hosting would be useful for India-centric websites. Usually India based hosting from reliable hosts will be a lot costlier than US based hosting.

For the rest, do as skyfire suggested.

4. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago

Skyfire covered it all, really.  Just a note - before buying a domain name, check to see whether the hosting company has a special deal.  Sometimes you can buy a domain name free with your first year's hosting.