jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (5 posts)

Suggestion: Keyword Density Flag

1. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

I am currently writing an article on InfoBarrel.... they flashed a warning before publication which stated that they have a maximum keyword density of 3.5% and that my post would have to go into a queue unless I got it down. It was 4%, I deleted the word a couple of times, and the warning went away.

Surely such a flag or filter would be good to both: a) cut out the spammy crap, and b) potentially beneficial to our own performance? Perhaps even just in the form of a small widget in the editing page, which lists the top 10 keywords by density?

1. DonnaCSmith profile image84
      DonnaCSmithposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That sounds like a good idea (I have to admit this is the first time I realized keyword density was something I needed to worry about).

2. Pandoras Box profile image81
      Pandoras Boxposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Fairly easy to overdo it, huh? Yeah that'd be a good tool. It really is quite easy to work your keywords naturally into your articles if they're on target. I used to notice this at... somewhere where I used to pop them in at. Haven't bothered in some time, because I never thought of the risk of having too many, and it was easy to hit the 2.5 to 3% recommended.

InfoBarrel thinks 4% is too many, apparently, is there any other official word on this from anyone, such as google, does anyone know?

1. 0
        ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

InfoBarrel has a 3.5% cap.

I'm not suggesting a 3.5% cap, unless that is considered the optimum.

In fact, I would probably use the tool more to determine which keywords I can bring UP to 2% or 2.5%. But it would be handy nonetheless, particularly if you intend to write to target a specific phrase, and find that another phrase or is undermining it a little.

Alternativley, if edweirdo wants to write a plugin or add-on I would happily shell out a few dollars for it smile

2. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

How do we know that 3.5 is the right cap? Where does Google say that it will penalize 3.6% Pick the wrong number or don't update it and you'll screw up a lot of SEO and fall behind in the rankings. That rumor number has changed constantly in the last 10 years that I've dealt with it.