jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (12 posts)

Bad ad placement

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

Check this out, and some think the ads on Hubpages are annoying? You can't tell where the article is between all the ads.

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-the-be … people.htm

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
      rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

That is bad. I've seen that site before. Who wants to wade through that? I've seen worse. The ones that make me crazy are those sites that make it impossible to leave the page. I think I even saw a thread or hub recently about using that technique. I don't know what it's called, but it's so annoying.

Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Makes me glad they turned me down to write for them smile

I noticed Associated Content locks you on the page, very annoying.

1. rebekahELLE profile image91
          rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess I don't get the benefit to that lock-in. I refuse to click on any ad when I feel I'm being forced to stay on a page. I hardly click on ads anyway. This says what I'm talking about... a snippet from a page about bad HTML pages, those kind.

pop-up windows
              Some particularly irritating designers have discovered the magic formula that causes your browser to spawn a new window when you click on a link — or worse, ways to make pop-up windows appear even if all all you're trying to do is exit their wretched hive of scum and villainy as rapidly as you can find the Back button. Stay in your own window, dammit! The Web is supposed to be about viewer control; designers who persist in rudely grabbing pieces of the viewer's screenspace without permission deserve to be lashed with knouts.

2. Midnight Oil profile image88
    Midnight Oilposted 5 years ago

Now that is annoying....  It should be used as how not to design a webpage!

3. leahlefler profile image97
    leahleflerposted 5 years ago

Wow. On the other hand, perhaps it is an opportunity for someone to write a better article on the same subject and place it on Hubpages!

Funny you say that...I found it while doing research smile

4. Lisa HW profile image80
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

That just looks like some psycho put it together.  (Or else it looks likes someone's attempt to drive people who see the site insane). The site is one that makes "certain people" so mean, they wouldn't even click on a link even if they did see a word that caught their eye.  They'd be in such a hurry to click away from such a psycho-looking site, even if they wanted ads they'd go looking for them somewhere else.  Ew!!  Just looking at that site for a few seconds made me mean!!"    mad   lol

It looks like a case of "people-on-the-Internet-have-a-short attention-span-and-don't-want-to-read" gone awfully bad.   roll

5. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

But I bet the click through rate on that page is huge. A lot of people will think that they are clicking on a part of the article - not google ads. Which I think is against Adsense policies.

Even though the ads are labeled as Google's they blend so seamlessly with the article. In some ways, I think it is a work of art.

Not to say that I would dare do this. Only because I value my adsense account for the long run.

1. 2uesday profile image88
      2uesdayposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Glad you said that about the blending of ads to look like part of the article being against Adsense policy. I thought I had read something like that on one of their pages. Thank you for confirming it and saving me searching for it.

6. SiddSingh profile image60
    SiddSinghposted 5 years ago

I think WiseGeek is a premium adsense publisher - just like HP. That gives them a lot of leeway to play around with ad settings and formats - with Google's blessings.

Maybe so, but as a reader I will not be going back.

working