jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Creating a HubPage using content from another forum post?

1. Tina Julich profile image80
    Tina Julichposted 5 years ago

Is it okay to create a HubPage using a post I made to another forum? It is my own material, and I have rewritten it to be more of a story than what I posted on the other forum, but I wasn't sure if I could use it here.
    Can I?

1. speedbird profile image65
      speedbirdposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I guess so long as you have re-written it, it should be OK. smile

2. RedElf profile image85
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

According to the HubPages TOS (Terms of Service) your hubs (articles) here must be your own original content. If you are re-posting an article here, make sure it has been thoroughly rewritten, or it will likely be flagged as a copied article. Welcome to HubPages!

Tina Julichposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It is my own original content. I'm just not sure what 'thoroughly rewritten' means. :-(

1. Marisa Wright profile image94
        Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Tina, just to clarify - duplicate content is not allowed on HubPages, whether you're duplicating work that is your own, or work that belongs to someone else. 

http://hubpages.com/faq/#duplicate_content

Possibly the reason you had trouble finding that information is that people aren't usually turning a forum post into a Hub.  A forum post would usually be too flimsy to be a Hub! 

I'm sure you understand the difference between the HubPages forum (which we're posting on now) and individual Hubs (which are long, informative, magazine-style articles).

3. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

If you delete your forum post then you will be able to republish an unedited version of your forum post as a hubpage without tripping the duplicate content filter.

If you want to keep the forum post live then I suggest simply re-writing it to avoid tripping the filter.

But ultimately, yes. It is your work, you can do what you want with it. Avoid duplicate content penalties though.

Thanks, I can't delete the forum thread so I'll just rewrite, rewrite, rewrite...

4. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

Asking a moderator to remove the forum post for this purpose is not unprecedented. However, this does not benefit the forum discussion.

I should have been clearer. It was a forum post on the guinea fowl message board, not here at HubPages.

Also, if I had a question about this there might be others who wonder what the rules are. I did try a search but couldn't find specifics that would help me decide whether I could post similar content on this web site as a hub and also on another forum platform as a thread discussion.

1. 0
        Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In that case, it is an issue of duplicate content as described in the FAQs.

I had no problem with you asking the question here. What I meant is that asking a moderator to remove a forum post to turn it into a hub, as sometimes happens, ruins the forum thread in question.

Thanks for the clarification. Now I'll go look at the FAQs again. . .

working