jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

First Amazon Return

1. andyoz profile image86
    andyozposted 5 years ago

Well it was about a month ago I was celebrating my first Amazon sale, today I am mourning my first Amazon return.  To my horror it was my biggest sale yet as well, almost $100's worth!  Ouch!

So is this a regualar occurence?  How often do be people return stuff to Amazon?  Having lost alomst half my Amazon earnings over night, I am a little worried that this may become the norm!

2. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

It shouldn't cause you too many problems, I saw lots of returns in January, about 4%-5% of my December sales.

Ultimately though the more you sell the more you will see returned. Returns are just a fact of life, generally it will occur when somebody buys as a gift and the recipient would sooner buy something else with the money.

I do worry sometimes that my larger items will be returned in the following month, if you sell in December and it gets returned in January then you gain the comission on your December figures and lose it from your January earnings.

The type of stuff that gets bought as gifts is most likely to be returned. Throughout the year I probably see 2% of my items returned, which isn't bad at all, but returns in January majorly affected by earnings for that month and were much more prevelant than usual (simply because December is a big sales month and it is almost all gifts).

Sometimes I see people buying 2 of the same item and returning 1, which suggests that they have accidentally checked out with 2 of the same item.

3. cre8tive profile image81
    cre8tiveposted 5 years ago

Hi Andy,

Don't panic, it happens to us all, but thankfully isn't an everyday occurence.

I've checked this quarters figures and my return rate is around 1.5% of items sold - so I think you've been a little unlucky to have one returned so quick.

On this plus side you hopefully won't see another one for months.

Keep at the amazon, it's worth the perserverance.

1. andyoz profile image86
      andyozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well I've had 9 sales and 1 return, so I suppose that is bad luck, especially as it was my biggest sale.  Oh well, hopefully I will start to see more sales coming in soon.