Musings From an SEO virgin (and a few questions about link-building)

1. Doc Wordinger profile image93
    Doc Wordingerposted 13 years ago

Hi,

I'd like to ask a few questions about backlinking and off-page SEO. As this is one of my first forum posts I'd also like to include some words about myself and my experience with HubPages so far.

I was completely clueless about online marketing and the internal workings of search engines before I came to HubPages and began researching SEO. Although I'd done some paid work for an SEO company previously, I didn't really commit to understanding the whole process (they just sent me a list of keywords and told me to write so many words and as long as they paid me each month, I wasn't particularly interested in the purpose of the articles). It wasn't a full time job but it was a nice side-earner and even covered the rent when I was unemployed. Sadly the work dried up. Trying to find alternative ways to write and earn money online brought me to HubPages and introduced me to the alien world of SEO.

I began by researching HubPages itself, on-page optimization and some very basic backlinking stuff. My original goal was to write five hubs, which I have now done, then evaluate my progress. I've also decided to put money matters on hold for the time being and simply continue for the love of learning a new skill and, of course, writing. With this in mind, my initial five hubs were written with minimal commercial intent - although that didn't prevent me from stuffing some of them with Amazon Ads - and were produced solely to get a feel for the whole process.

So far, I'm confident with the information that I've uncovered about keywords/phrases. It makes sense and I'm beginning to understand it. But as a self-confessed technophobe and limited internet user, backlinking and article promotion is completely bewildering. I'm far from developing any kind of backlinking strategy and all I've done with my first five hubs, in terms of promotion, is place links on twenty or so social bookmarking sites with dofollow links. I found this time-consuming, excruciatingly frustrating and very unstructured. Some of those links appear to have been picked up by the Google spiders, the majority haven't.

I'm conscious that I need to develop a very basic strategy for backlinking as soon as possible and widen my scope, although I'm also cautious about doing too much too soon.

My evaluation at this early stage is that I'd probably be better suited to the Research-Write-and-Prey style of SEO i.e. research heavily for promising keywords and valuable content, strive to create a well-written and informative hub and then try to get by on minimal off-page self-promotion. Some people are capable of writing amazing articles that are intricately promoted but I feel that advanced link-building might be a step too far for the likes of myself who never embraced the full capabilities of the internet. Perhaps I'm wrong and only time will tell.

So, with this in mind, my next plan is to create a basic backlinking strategy that won't fry my brain, or vex my sluggish, elderly computer. Another benefit of having a simple,low-maintenance backlinking strategy is that it allows me to devote more time to research and writing.

I think perhaps I could narrow the 20-25 social bookmarking sites that I've used so far down to about 10, based on their effectiveness. I'm also thinking that it might be a good idea to sign up to other revenue-sharing sites like Squidoo and InfoBarrel. I could then write articles on a similar topic and link them back to each other. I'm not sure I like the idea of writing a 'main' article on one site then 'secondary' support articles on other sites. Why not have three 'main' articles with different keywords and similar subject matter that link to each other? Or would that create a 'loop' that would be detrimental to your SE rank?

Perhaps the area that I'm struggling with the most is how to place links in relevant neighborhoods e.g. a link to one of my poker hubs from a poker site. Prima facie, blog comments and forum posts look like reasonable locations provided you marry your link to a relevant and thoughtful comment. But aren't many blogs and forums now imposing nofollow restrictions upon comment sections? Are they still as effective as they once were? And is it possible to include this method within a structured overall strategy?

One final question: Can an online writer with modest earning ambition still succeed with an unsophisticated approach to link-building?

So many questions! I better stop there. If anyone has managed to read this far, please accept my gratitude. Any advice or comments are appreciated.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)