jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (11 posts)

The Power of Branding

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image97
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago

In this week's newsletter, Simone talked about establishing ourselves as Hubbers and writers in a particular niche, by writing multiple, quality Hubs. Essentially, the power of association - of being recognised as an authority on a particular subject, or expert provider of a particular service. I thought that a conversation I had yesterday with a friend would illustrate perfectly the power of what is essentially branding.

I was in the pub with a group of friends, when one of our party had to nip out hurriedly to catch a nearby chemist's shop (drugstore) before it closed. He wanted a particular brand of razor blades, as he swears they are better than any other. He paid £6.00 (circa US$10.00) for four blades. I thought he was insane! I buy 10 for 28p (40 cents) in the supermarket.

Apart from me being a cheapskate - smile - the point of this post is that he is convinced he gets a better shave from these blades, despite them being effectively 60 times (!) the price of the blades I use. Why? He has been convinced by adverting and by an established brand name.

Imagine the potential for a Hubber who can achieve such a reputation...??

2. darkside profile image84
    darksideposted 5 years ago

Was it Gillette Mach 3 blades?

Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It was! "The best a man can get...?" So they should be - at 60 times the price! smile

1. darkside profile image84
        darksideposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I'm unsure what type of blades you're using, but give it a go. Sure it's expensive, but it really is quality.

Gillette have one that takes a AAA battery inside the handle, it vibrates as you shave. Sounds weird, but trust me, it works wonders.

For me, the cheaper the razor the more I need to just do one shave. They don't slice off the hair, they practically tug it out. Whereas the Gillette blades last a lot longer.

3. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

I am a very hairy man, it takes me about a week to grow a beard (look closely and you will see a big thick mound of chest hair on my picture, which actually goes almost up to my neck now).

I also hate shaving, so I probably do this once a week, one of the benefits of not having to work outside of my home right now (although possibly soon I will).

If I were to use those cheap razors on one week of growth I would end up looking butchered, with small pieces of toilet paper in about 10 places on my face. I know this because I have tried using those several times.

As a result I use Gillete Mach 3, together with the respective shaving gel, and the Gillete after shave balm. It costs me more money, sure. But I don't end up looking like I have been in a fight with a bramble bush.

Those cheap razors may be just find for people who don't have substantial amounts of course facial hair, but I have lots and lots of it.

The toilet paper that I use, by the way, is Andrex lol

Gilette shaving stuff, Andrex toilet paper and Heinz baked beans. They are the three things that I will never compromise on.

Gordon Hamiltonposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I understand that the quality is likely to be a bit better, ryan - but 60 times better???

Shaving gel? I've got a great three-in-one money, time and labour saving solution for that...

I decided years ago that washing my face with soap, washing the soap off and replacing it with shaving soap was a complete waste of time. I now simply scrape the soap off with a blade. Provided this is done daily, there is no problem.

Andrex and Heinz beans are quite different issues, of course - smile - but I hope you can see what I mean about branding and reputation? My friend wouldn't use anything but Gillete because he is convinced they are the best, due to their established reputation.

4. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

In fact, I recently graduated to Gillete Mach 4, although I noticed no difference at all between 3 and 4.... so they will be pushing it with a 5. I'm sure that they will try though, and Beckham and co can come out and tell us how much better it is.

5. 0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 5 years ago

I am not a particularly hairy person and I am a cheapskate, but I only use Gilette Mach 4 razors. They are soooooo much better than any other razor blade - even 3. I never nick by legs, and they're fast. I just love them. And they are all I use. And I change them often. My husband thinks it's silly. Of course he doesn't have to shave his legs and has a beard, so there's minimal shaving for him to do every day - if at all.

6. sunforged profile image68
    sunforgedposted 5 years ago

im significantly redskin so am barely hairy and look like im 12 - but even I only use mach3+ and Im not one to be easily swayed by branding.

If you look at the deals you can usually get a better price buying the package deal over the cartridge deal though.

so sorry, this actually a case of superior product not skilled branding..

if you want to talk branding - look at the casual home users checking email and facebook on a 2000 ibook

7. darkside profile image84

Fellow Hubber Digital Alchemist also agrees about the Gillette Mach brand.

8. darkside profile image84

"My old gillette mach 3 razor is more than a year old and still works fine."