jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)

Is there anything encouraging?

1. FaithDream profile image86
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

I'm visiting the forums, checking out the hubber's hangout and everything I'm reading is discouraging. The changes with google, the hub activity is down, am I to be concerned?
    Is there anything that is encouraging? I really like hubpages and now I'm questioning everything.

2. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

HubPages is not down and out. The algorithm has knocked the heck out of many sites, we're not alone. There are lots of things to factor in, some conjecture, other factors a bit easier to work out.

The changes are on-going, the dust needs to settle. Keep writing original content, make it the best you can. HubPages admin are known for listening to hubbers, I doubt very much they're all eating donuts right now. Maybe some consolation cookies from Maddie but for sure they won't be resting on their laurels smile

3. wavegirl22 profile image49
    wavegirl22posted 5 years ago

Here is some encouraging words .. 

"It's tough to tell from these lists just how well Google has done at improving the overall quality of results. For what its worth, HubPages doesn't strike me as providing anything like bottom-of-the-barrel material. But then there are sites such as EzineArticles, which is rife with items like this gem ("Moving around in a taxi seems like an outlandish thing...").

Read more:

Five Things You Need to Know About Google's "Farmer" Search-Engine Upgrade

4. FaithDream profile image86
    FaithDreamposted 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing. I write on ezine and maybe I need to concentrate on those instead. I just need some inspiration from hubpages.

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image92
      mistyhorizon2003posted 5 years ago in reply to this

Having just read that Ezine article wavegirl's link quoted from, I think it was illustrating how bad Ezine is, not suggesting to concentrate on that site more. The 'Gem' description I suspect was meant to mean 'a prime example of awful articles can be', not 'how good', and after following the link to the article it was clearly an advert/promotion for "Denver Taxis", not a quality piece about taxis in general.

FaithDreamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks Misty. I did not click on the link to read it. Thanks for checking it out and reading it further.

5. Peggy W profile image91
    Peggy Wposted 5 years ago

Guess I will just keep writing and see what happens in a month or two or three down the road.  Wish we would hear something from the HubPages staff.

1. frogdropping profile image85
      frogdroppingposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Paul wrote a post on the HP blog Peggy, not sure if you read it?

Thanks frogdropping, I just read it. It is encouraging. That is what I need, encouragement from the forums. Thanks for sharing.

6. skyfire profile image74
    skyfireposted 5 years ago

I don't think of this as algortihm change but more of stacked devaluation of article directories from chrome aggregated data. If it were to be algorithm change then how come ehow survived it with their crap content related to mcdonalds  ? You don't need to panic though, just spend your time diversifying till dust settles.

7. rebekahELLE profile image92
    rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago

I think this article points out a lot of what is being targeted. Obviously, there's more of that here than we can see simply by a quick read of someone's hubs. Some of it is hidden in links, etc.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/220778/g … tk.mod_rel

I'm sure things will settle down with some work on cleaning up the scrupulous stuff we may not see. The cream will rise again in time.

Thanks rebekahELLE, this is encouraging. "The cream will rise to the top." I'll check out the link you suggested.

8. sabrebIade profile image85
    sabrebIadeposted 5 years ago

According to this, three other domains got hit worse than HP...
    http://www.businessinsider.com/google-d … dia-2011-2
    So yeah, it coulda been worse.

1. David 470 profile image86
      David 470posted 5 years ago in reply to this

I don't entirely fathom that chart, but I guess that's optimistically looking at things.

Hubpages will hopefully come out of this pit..