jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Adding pics and info from websites

1. Delaney Knows profile image60
    Delaney Knowsposted 6 years ago

Greetings! I'm a newbie working on writing her first hub. Let me just say the wealth of information and help provided here seems amazing. And, a bit overwhelming when one is just starting out.

My question is about adding pics and information from other websites. Where do you get pics (not adding my own) and if you quote a website of an organization, do you have to get permission, etc? I want to be clear before I use anyone else's "stuff."

I'm sure all of this is published somewhere here, but honestly, I couldn't find it. Any help and advice will be appreciated!

1. lrohner profile image85
      lrohnerposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can use short quotes from other sites, but they need to short and attributed to the source in the article. You don't need permission for that. I would keep direct quotes to a minimum, though.

If you're using numbers or statistics you get from another site, it's good for the reader to tell them where you got that information, although it's not mandatory. Example: "The American Diabetes Association estimates that 8 percent of Americans suffer from diabetes."

Delaney Knowsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, Irohner. This is helpful. If I create a link to that website do I need permission?

2. simeonvisser profile image88
    simeonvisserposted 6 years ago

If you wish to use an image of which you do not own the copyright then you need to ask for permission to use it. However, for many many things you can find free images on the internet or images that have been licensed under a free license.

That means you can use the image by simply giving attribution. Look for images in the public domain and images licensed under a Creative Commons license. There are also hubs on HubPages that explain how this works.

But yes, if you want to avoid trouble then you can't just use any image that you find on the internet.

3. simeonvisser profile image88
    simeonvisserposted 6 years ago

Welcome to HubPages by the way! smile

Delaney Knowsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank you and thanks for the speedy reply! You've answered my question about pics...can you tell me about websites?

My first blog is about a subject that has a national organization that provides support and information. If, for example, I say "the bla bla bla organiztion  says" and make a link to it, do I have to have to get their permission to do that?

1. simeonvisser profile image88
        simeonvisserposted 6 years ago in reply to this

You can link to any website out there (within what is allowed by the terms of service, no adult sites etc) and you can also quote organizations. But not entire pages, that would be copying content. You don't need permission to link to another website.

working