HubPages Ad Program

Jump to Last Post 151-200 of 203 discussions (552 posts)
  1. Bendo13 profile image76
    Bendo13posted 13 years ago

Umm... so far not so good.

So I signed up the other night and for the first partial day I got 128 Impressions... which is fine, wasn't a full day.  And I still made close to a buck.

Looking forward I waited for the second day... a day where analytics say my hubs got 440 impression.

I get on today and it says I got.... ZERO impressions?

So who got paid for all those impressions because it wasn't me.
    I want to know what kind of split you're giving us if it's not the 60/40 because obviously something is up.

The past two days are low days for me in terms of traffic (I usually get twice that in a day) but how can I not get a single impression counted whenever I had over 400?

If this lowers my clicks on my other ads and then I have days where I get paid nothing, even though my hubs are being viewed, then I'll be dropping out shortly.

Bendo13posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe you're behind in reporting earnings? but it is noon the next day, so I figured they'd be up.

1. Mrvoodoo profile image57
        Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks!  I guess I'll just have to wait until Monday to see how things are going.

2. puter_dr profile image90
    puter_drposted 13 years ago

I look forward to getting an invite whenever it happens.

3. Len Cannon profile image88
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

500 HP Ad accounts

220,000 hub page accounts

enjoy your monthly nickel

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Hey Happy Birthday Ryan! I missed that one.

I was peeking in to see if anyone else has stalled stat reporting. Seems so.

Imagine if 220,000 were foaming at the mouth because they didnt have stats reported at this time?Probably, good to have only 500 in right now.

From what Ive read and barely seen, the hp ecpm will only be half of what I was used to as an adsense publisher, but twice to three times the average sitewide. Its not magic, its just another alternative and Im happy to give it a shot.If you really, really need another earnings source, perhaps its a good idea to figure out why your performance is so poor to date.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheers Sunforged, congrats on the first crawl wink

5. Len Cannon profile image88

I have made like 15 backlinks in my entire life.

1. profile image0

The most backlinks that I have created for any one single Hubpage is five, hardly black hat hey? wink

6. barryrutherford profile image75
    barryrutherfordposted 13 years ago

ryankett

My point is that it has nothing to do as you state with 'Jealously' rather fairness.

Sure it was your wife yours and your best freinds birthday I am happy for you for that but that has no relevance to my point.

I guess I find the timing unfortunate given that most of us have lost 50% of their earnings and Hubpages for whatever reason has rolled out an income stream method to save yours, hubpages and 499 others skin in the same week...

1. profile image0

On the Hubpages homepage two days before the Algorithm change there was a red text link stating that the TOS would change from 3rd March. That should be all that you need to know, this was not brought in when it was to save anybodys skin. It was going to be brought in anyway.

The algorithm change was very unfortunate, I lost 60% of my earnings just like many other people did. Actually, probably more than that. So far I have half a days worth of stats from the Hubpages Ad Program. That is nothing to go by, but if I sustain the eCPM it will make up maybe 30% - 40% of what I lost.

And as such, I will probably still be 35%-50% down on my pre-crash earnings. Now, you seem to be criticising me for telling people that my first half a days of earnings were good. Would your preference be that I simply remained elusive and secretive and did not share this information on the forum? Like the majority of people in the scheme?

What you are suggesting is that my forum thread, the one posted on the happiest day of the year for me, was a cynical attempt to rub peoples noses in the dirt. What I am suggesting is that my forum post was five minutes out of my great day to let people know that it looks to be a great program and to hopefully cheer up a few other "victims".

People could take that two ways, I am sad that you took it the wrong way. But you don't need to make your "point" any clearer, I have done wrong in your eyes. From now on I will remain secretive and give nothing away, if all it does is cause JEALOUSY, which is the only thing that criticism of my forum thread can be.

2. frogdropping profile image77
      frogdroppingposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Barry the HP ad program is not saving skins. We need traffic, which none of us are getting. Me, you, ryan, no-one. I will be losing more than 50% of my income, I already have.

1. barryrutherford profile image75
        barryrutherfordposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your point Frogdropping.  My beef is not with ryankett and I will repeat not about Jealously just fairness of rolling out an income programme to the first 500 of the hubpages community.

If it had to be done and was it me running Hubpages it would have been rolled out to regular hubbers in chronological order from when they joined Hubpages.  It seems that some who have been here less than a year have been invited.

As I said to ryankett it is just so unfortunate that it has occured within days of all of us losing 50% of earning.  I maintain my contention that the damage that made Google  catagorise us as a content farm was done by those in the selected 500.  Thats all.

1. profile image0

Most of us agree with IzzyM and her statement, from 9 minutes ago:

"Spun, translated, plagiarised, duplicated and just plain badly written, useless content is what the majority of site users here are publishing, along with short spammy articles written only for backlinks to other sites, whose links will always remain nofollow because their authors can't raise their scores above 75."

I would suggest that the worst 'hubbers' are those who publish 1 or 2 articles and are never seen again, normally for a quick backlink smile

2. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88
          mistyhorizon2003posted 13 years agoin reply to this

By everything I have read from Hub staff etc, it is NOT the top or the first 500 of the Hubpages community that were first invited, and the choices were random. I am not yet invited, I am active, and I have been here nearly three years (next month). I have seen posts today from people who HAVE had an invite, and have far less hubs than me, and have been here as little as 10 months. I am happy to wait until my invite when it comes. There does not appear to be any favouritism here that I can see.

1. Randy Godwin profile image59
            Randy Godwinposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Where did you see the list?

1. mistyhorizon2003 profile image88

There was no 'list' Randy, but I read so many forum threads I was left dizzy afterwards. One question I asked on the subject of how the initial participants would be chosen was answered on a thread
              by 'Jason' from Hubpages staff. This was his answer....

"The first wave is ~500 people and it's not hand-selected. I think it's somewhat random among active Hubbers.

So...please don't take it personally if you don't make it the first round, for whatever reason! Everyone will have a chance to participate in due course. We just need to meter new participants so we scale it properly"

Link http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69158?page=5

Edit... Hey, just re-read  that page in full and you were there!

Perhaps it was the "somewhat random" phrase that caught my eye.  lol

Fair enough, just a term of phrase I guess!

I am more amazed by the 'conspiracy theories' being bandied about on this forum, when it is only a matter of a few months until everyone is on board anyway. This is not referring to you I might add.

Add "I think" to it and it's very reassuring and precise.  lol

I waited for the cabbage truck to stop before I got off.  smile

2. Mrvoodoo profile image57
                Mrvoodooposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"The first wave is ~500 people and it's not hand-selected. I think it's somewhat random among active Hubbers."

lol lol lol lol lol lol

3. darkside profile image63
      darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If anything the timing is extremely fortunate.

I'm not sure how long it's been in the works but HP HQ rolled out the new program in January with 9 hubbers to test it out. They never jump into anything with their eyes closed, they are very methodical with their approach to the business of online revenue.

7 days prior to the updated Terms of Use taking effect, they linked to the Terms of Use. Murmurs began, people started talking about the change to the Terms of Use because it gave a glimpse of this new ad program. Still they didn't talk. But why did they reveal it in the Terms of Use? I asked, and it's because 7 days prior to the chance of a Terms of Use they must publicly announce the change. Again another green tick for HubPages. Unlike one site I know of (Factoidz) HubPages are above board and ethical. On the other hand that other site change their Terms of Use without actually changing the Terms of Use or announcing the changes. Long story that.

As we should all be able to grasp, it's a big change to the way things operate around here, and HP HQ are proactive. They're putting on more staff members. They're moving and shaking. The next step was to allow 500 hubbers access to this new ad program.

Keep in mind that it's not a knee jerk reaction to the recent change in the Google Algorithm.

I am thankful for HubPages foresight. And from everything I've seen in the last 4 years, in what they do and how they deal with people, they do everything with a purpose, and they don't try and bite off more than they can chew.

Personally I hope that the entire 220,000+ or however many registered members aren't all allowed on the program. But the ones who take the time and make an effort to publish useful and unique content. People like you, and others who have posted in this thread.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I was thinking too, Darkside. We have a huge problem with spammers here and if they were all allowed on (as HP members) then they could very quickly ruin it for the rest of us. I dunno, invalid clicking, page impressions that sort of thing.
        Google knows where the clicks are coming from. They have software that can practically see what you are doing at your computer. Does HP?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
          Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have no knowledge for sure but I bet they do! After all, that's how the hubber scores work. I imagine the score is a function of algorithms HP has that monitor your activity such as your involvement in the community, changes you make to hubs to keep them up to date based on their own suggestions like keywords used to find your hubs and the title tuner, how often you follow someone,  etc.

That last one is an interesting discovery of mine. I found one Hubber who has over 1600 followers and his score is "1". How low can you go?

I was curious so I checked out a few things and discovered he had been following hundreds of people in a matter of seconds.  He had to have a robot doing that. Evidently many Hubbers responded by following him back. Those of you who did that know who I'm talking about. I don't follow someone just because they follow me. I will check them out and follow them if I find something interesting that is in the area of interest to me.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that his score got down to 1. So HP is obviously tracking his activity as his score must be a reflection on that. Nuf said.

1. IzzyM profile image88

That would certainly knock his score down, but I can't help thinking that with a score of 1 his content must be duplicate too.
            Hope he gets kicked off the site. It's folk like him that have brought us all down.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
              Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes indeed. What I am so surprised about is that over 1600 Hubbers decided to follow him back. That's not helping the situation. I guess if one follows 16,000 people (just a guess) they WILL get 1% return. That must be his theory. I truly hope HP dos something about this behavior.

2. Bendo13 profile image76

Seems I've missed a lot...

What exactly were the changes in the HubPages terms?

And how did the Google algorithm change?

I have noticed that I'm getting next to nothing in clicks so far this month... which is pretty sad because I was on a steady climb to hit that $100 in a month milestone through Adsense.

Maybe too many people are leaving that "instant" option on in Google search... it shows different results if you turn it off.  Personally I'm sick of all the instant stuff, I never use it.

7. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

As a side note, as per Barry's request, if anybody not in the scheme wants to claim their $0.0001 share in my first day Hubpages Ad program earnings they will need to wait for 100 days (until their share is worth $0.01) and then send a stamped address envelope to the contact details associated with the domain name given in my Hubpages profile. I will then send them a cheque smile

1. profile image0

Oh, sorry, make that 1000 days smile

8. barryrutherford profile image75

If that is the case then we will always remain in the cellar unless Hubpages come up with a method of deleting those accounts promptly

1. profile image0

The only solution that I can see is a pre-approval process for your first 10 hubs, like a probationary period. Then, a three strikes and your out policy for TOS conflicts. This site has, for far too long, been a website known as "good for easy backlinks". I actually met an SEO guy last night who knows this place for that reason, in real life. Quick and easy backlinks. We don't want to be that place, do we?

Unfortunately, we are already "that place" Ryan.  HP staff knew this already, and if not, they are paid too much for their handling of the site.  I'm planning to sell my hubs if I can find a buyer willing to purchase content which is still making decent money. 

Anyone know the best way to estimate the worth of such an article?  Past earnings, page views, ranking, etc?  smile

1. profile image0

Not sure tbh, but you would need to sell your entire account, do you use your real name? Because I'm not sure that I would want to sell my real name to somebody who may abuse it!

Ultimately, I don't know anybody that would buy a Hubpages account now, particularly as we still have Europe to lose sad

I have no problem selling my entire account, but I don't see why I should have to.  I have been approached about selling a considerable number of my hubs by an interested buyer with a site using similar articles.  I can simply delete the rest and use them elsewhere or not, depending on the future of these type sites.  smile  Thanks for your input!

1. profile image0

Oh I see, removing them and selling them? Well, if somebody likes them enough to offer to buy them then name your price my friend smile Let them run for one calender month after the algo change (24th March). Multiply your earnings for the month for each article by 12, a years expected earnings, and tell him that you want that much. So, if your article earnt you $5 in that month then ask $60 for it. If you article earnt $1 then ask $12 for it, if it earnt $50 then ask $600 for it, or replace which whatever multiplier you see fit.

Thanks much, Ryan!  Some of these have earned over $100 per month counting Adsense and Amazon sales and that's just my share.  I suspect HP's share is more than that.  Thanks again for helping me out!  smile

2. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan, I agree with you.  I started a thread a few days ago, http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/68786 , but got stomped on pretty hard for suggesting it.

I actually think that after a while it would decrease work for HP considerably.  Much of what needs checking for could be done by software, after all.

9. barryrutherford profile image75

ryankett

Something similar is in operation over at Newsvine where I also post.  It seems to work quite well.  I am unsure as to how difficult that admininstrative task is for them.  I feel sure it's worth a try if will improve  Hubpages standing & earnings..

1. profile image0

InfoBarrel do that too, you have to have submissions accepted by an editor. Editors can be freelance and homebased, even paid per article that they review (like a ChaCha guide is paid per question). I think that it could be done smile

10. barryrutherford profile image75

Bendo13

As far as I am concerned you will just have to read through the many number of  forum posts on the topic

I would also suggest wearing high top boots while doing so!  smile

I put on my high tops and read up on both things... I checked some of my hubs too and it looks like they're pushed to the second page of results.

Adsense earnings are way down for this month.

I dunno, hopefully HubPages will bounce back but I have no clue how Google calculates who deserves to be in the top pages.

Same for me, Bendo!  I am thoroughly disgusted with writing sites at this point.  smile

Had a second look last night and a bunch of my hubs are still pulling in a lot of traffic... plus it was a weekend so I can't really gauge it by that.

I looked and sure enough, depending on the search term, my hubs were still in the first page of the search results for a bunch of my hubs.

Just go to your stats on the hubs getting some good traffic and see what keywords are bringing people there and you'll see that some of your hubs are still first pagers.

I think the real issue is that only like 5 - 10% out of ALL the hubbers on here are pumping out quality hubs on a regular basis.  So the rest would see a drop in traffic, which would make the whole domain drop in traffic since it's such a big portion.

Yeah my Adsense earnings are down a bit, but it's the weekend and I don't really see it as doom and gloom as before.

Some of mine are still ranking well too, but many are behind junk and those on the first page have been kicked back to at least the second, if not further.  The bad content allowed here was the cause of the Google slap.  Those who try to write quality content are penalized along with the spammers. 

We have no protection against this even if we hop our brains out!

Yeah I think it was a dumb move by Google to punish a whole domain that they KNOW is full of a ton of different people.. it's a community!  Do you think everyone on Facebook is spammers? NO, but there sure are a lot of spammers on there!

I think they should have left it as it was and had pages rank lower if they used blackhat techniques or had crap content or just didn't have backlinks... not punish a whole domain.

But I'll see how things go... I mean, we got Google slapped and then I added in the new ad program... so of course my earnings are going to be down more than usual.

Right now I'm looking at 650+ hub views for the past 24 hours when I was getting close to 1,000 a day before... it is a weekend but it's still a dip in traffic.  So we'll see.

11. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

huh? hmm
    my goodness, what would instigate such a statement? it has already been said by HP staff that the first 500 were selected randomly from active hubbers. There is no list, some people simply shared they were among the invites. I've read some pretty bizarre comments in some of these threads today..

1. SiddSingh profile image60
      SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I am sure the HP staff would not have reckoned that their decision to roll out HP ADS would result in a lot of bad vibes on the site. On the one hand, we have had a few (very) enthusiastic invitees coming to forums and declaring how great the program was, and on the other , we have a few hubbers who have complained openly and bitterly about why they were not invited.

Already, we have seen allusions of favoritism - but for me, the statement above by barryrutherford takes the cake. Mind you, of the people complaining, many are the same who come to the forums encouraging many adsense wannabes. Keep writing, (they say) you will get accepted in six months - and anyway you will earn pennies in the beginning.

I also suspect that those making the most 'noise' about not being included in the 1st wave of invites, would be very content and quiet if they 'had' been, and NOT bemoaning the fact others had not been invited when they themselves had been!!!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Try saying that after a glass of chardonay lol

j/k smile

LOL, just tried after a can of cider, still managed it..... just wink

2. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can't speak for others, only myself, but I'm sure many hubbers want the best for HP. As for the damage done, all one has to do is take a look at the most recent Hubbers and Hubs rolling out at any given time and we can see damage control hasn't kicked into high hear as yet. I'm sure HP is evaluating what kind of changes need to be implemented and will continue to adjust over a period of time.

It was handled badly.  Or else it was intended to make folks angry.  I cannot imagine HP staff being so naive as to not realize how this might be construed as an insult to loyal members.  Because if that is indeed the case, it doesn't bode well for the future of having a peaceful and happy community.

And in any case, you are apparently unaware of how many sites pit the members against each other to gain support for their plans.  Not saying HP is doing this, but those of us who have published elsewhere have witnessed this taking place.  I promise you, you don't want this type of community here, if it can indeed be stopped at this point.

Just take a look around the forums at those reveling in their "somewhat random" fortune while other more worthy and longtime members are looking on.  It does bring into question whether class was a required criteria included in the "somewhat random" algorithm.  smile

I sincerely hope I am wrong, but when someone thinks giving volunteers the title of Elite and thinks it will help retain harmony among it's members, it makes me wonder about the mindset of HP!  Now you guys can "gimme an H..."  lol

1. profile image0

Your logic is a little flawed, seeing as there were numerous 'elite' members left out of the first 500 invites. I have also seen invitees "flaunting" first day earnings of $1 and $0.76, nobody is getting rich and if they were it is not at anybody elses expense. I have no idea why I was invited, maybe it was because I went into the Hubpages office, or maybe I fluked it with my open letter in support of Hubpages, maybe it is because I get a lot of traffic, or maybe it really was just a random selection wink It is true that I am rather delighted to be in the program, but I for one have never attempted to "flaunt" membership, particularly as most of those bemoaning the lack of an invite will probably be "in" within a few weeks anyway.

And your thoughts on if HP considered the effect it might have on it's members?   So far, I haven't been provided with a list of those "thought to be somewhat randomly selected" so I have no idea how many "Elite" were admitted. 

Why didn't HP merely state they were going to do this with anonymous writers and leave it at that?  I would have had no problem at all with that, even if they used none of the loyal members.

What does "somewhat randomly" mean to you?  And have you ever been banned, Ryan?  smile

1. profile image0

I have been banned at least 10 times, I am probably right up there with Mark Knowles and some of Hubpages biggest ever fruitcakes on that list, my last ban was about a week ago wink

I can see why some are frustrated, yes. But I also think that some have got the wrong end of the stick, expect another 500 or so in very shortly, not many prominent hubbers will have to wait until June. Of course, I can't guarentee that and I am merely speculating, but Jason and Simeone have pretty much said that themselves - the next "wave" will come very soon.

Maybe they could have said that they were "extending BETA testing to 500 members to compare stats with the prilimanery results", but ultimately I do firmly believe that they just want to see 500 tax forms at a time smile There really aren't many administrative types in that office, they have Simone and Maddie and a couple of moderators, the rest are programmers or engineers, so I guess that they are restricted by that.

I doubt that Hubpages intended to create a divide or make anybody frustrated smile

If you are correct in your last sentence this dismays me even more, Ryan.  Because this would indicate a lack of understanding by those in charge of making important decisions or maintaining good morale in a time of already frightening changes. 

I do not wish to believe they merely overlooked the potential problems this might cause.  But sadly, you may be entirely correct.  smile

No one wants to give their impression of the term "somewhat random" when asked.  This, in itself, is an answer of sorts.  IMHO!

And if you think this is about money, you are incorrect.  I have no problem not activating the program for 3 months after I am "somewhat randomly" selected, if it ever happens.  This is about trust and loyalty, nothing else from my point of view.

Good to hear you've been banned, Ryan!  You are the first formerly banned member I've seen invited to participate in the program.  Not saying there aren't any, though!  smile

1. profile image0

I suspect that seeing 30%, 40% maybe even 50% of their traffic wiped out overnight about a week before the launch dictated that they wouldn't have had too much time to think about the finer details. Would people be as vocal with their dissaproval if they were still earning well with AdSense and Amazon? Because, initially, this was intended to compliment those other revenue streams rather than as a means of replacing them smile

12. ahsan.specgene.pk profile image60
    ahsan.specgene.pkposted 13 years ago

Please tell in detail that how to get eligibility for hubpages ad program.

13. thesailor profile image66
    thesailorposted 13 years ago

Please include me on your invites. big_smile

14. jagandelight profile image69
    jagandelightposted 13 years ago

I am looking forward to being apart of the next wave, this should be exciting. Thanks for including us in this.

15. adrienne2 profile image66
    adrienne2posted 13 years ago

This is some very exciting news regarding the Ad Program. Just to be clear the Ad program will run alongside the google ads, and we will have the opportunity to earn from both; correct?

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

yes, this is true.

16. hhelen profile image61
    hhelenposted 13 years ago

This is good news...but I guess we will have to wait until everyone gets to try it out before we can truly know how it works.

17. Len Cannon profile image88

Randy :

I'm sorry if I or anyone else made you feel bad by saying it was a good program!  I guess I understand the complaint but I am a pretty big tech nerd and have been on the inside and the outside of betas for awhile and am used to how these things go.

Not at all, Len.  I have absolutely no problem with the new program and think it is a great idea.  But I am dismayed at the apparent lack of foresight and understanding in the way this was handled by HP.  smile

18. cherrystore profile image61
    cherrystoreposted 13 years ago

sounds interesting

19. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I think they sent invite based on traffic/hubscore (?) or maybe it's completely random. Who knows ? I don't think it's in anyway insult to me. My traffic is steady on informative hubs whereas product hubs are getting 0 views last 2-3 days. I moved some of my hubs to other sites during Halloween (more will follow soon) and with current set of hubs i doubt if this ad-program will convert on this account. Take your time Staff wink

20. Jason Menayan profile image60
    Jason Menayanposted 13 years ago

I'm glad to hear that most people are understanding of our decision to limit the first expansion of the HubPages Ad Program to a limited group of about 500 people. For those who don't, I'll explain why:

The HubPages Ad Program is the biggest, most complex launch we have ever undertaken on HubPages since HubPages itself was launched in 2006. The program worked quite well with staff and a small number of private beta testers (9 Hubbers), but as we expand beyond that, here are some possibilities that we could confront:

- The program doesn't work well for a certain segment of Hubber. In that case, we would have to investigate why and see if we can't change it for them to make it work for them.
    - There might be hiccups in the reporting, tax information interface, etc.
    - There might be a small segment of users who engage in fraud, which we would have to police and explain to our ad partners.
    - There might be PayPal integration issues, in which case we would have to troubleshoot the problem, explain and rectify payment problems for those affected, etc..

None, except the reporting issue (no reporting over the weekend, which caused a flurry of posts in the Forums) have occurred yet - knock on wood - but you can understand that dealing with any of these with 500 users would be considerably easier than with over 200,000 users. Dealing with even a minor glitch with 200,000 complaining users could bring down our tiny company.

We have the extra complication of dealing with the Google algorithm update and improvements to site quality, which is also extremely important but was unplanned.

All that said, we are hoping that everything should work smoothly -- the engineering team really has created an incredibly robust, capable system -- and that we can invite more people to participate in the Program soon.

Again, thank you for your patience and understanding. smile

No one is questioning why the program is being tested in the manner you have chosen to use, Jason.  Except for allowing those chosen to be known while others were not. 

Why not keep the "somewhat randomly" chosen hubbers a secret and avoid any hint at favoritism?  Was insulting loyal members in the process even discussed by you guys?

1. Jason Menayan profile image60
        Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We didn't disclose who got an invitation to the community at large - some of those that received an invite chose to do so.

We had to keep the 9 beta Hubbers' identity a secret at the time, because we were holding the story about the program in order to have major news outlets cover it. If the Program had been publicly-disclosed, CNET/CBS and AllThingsD/WSJ would most certainly have not covered the launch. Coverage by major online news media benefits all of us.

There was absolutely no intent to insult anyone with this rollout, and I'm sincerely sorry if you or anyone else in the community whom we value feels snubbed. We truly didn't mean it that way.

Thanks for the response, Jason.  And as stated, I appreciate the effort you and others have made to help the situation as best you can at this tough time for many writing sites across the web.  Perhaps this is why there was a complete lack of forethought given to the feelings of "some" loyal members during this new program.

I realize my posts may appear to be merely "sour grapes" to many, especially those "somewhat randomly chosen" and who couldn't wait to crow and boast to those who were.  As far as the money is concerned, you can keep my 60% share of the ad revenue for three months after I am permitted to start participating in the program if I am still here or are ever allowed to try it.

Because I have witnessed how this type of favoritism-intended or not-has destroyed other writing communities, I have spoken out against the way this was handled.  I like this site and many of the members who write here and hate to see it go the way of others I have been a part of.

There are many other Hubbers who felt insulted who will not speak out in such cases.  So I am not merely speaking for myself in this matter, despite the intimation of others on these threads.

If nothing else, perhaps you guys will consider there are actual human beings with real feelings writing here.(not referring to me, of course) 

So perhaps we all gained a little insight here.  I know I certainly did.  smile

21. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I Hope to be included in the Ad Program second wave, I expressed this a few pages back, since HP was the beginnings of my online career earning money lol
    It could be an important part of my online career, I have two major forms of income online and I intend to keep HP one of the main ones.

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 13 years agoin reply to this

and me

1. adrienne2 profile image66
        adrienne2posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I certainly look forward to an invite, can't wait : )

22. tlpoague profile image81
    tlpoagueposted 13 years ago

I would like to say congrats to those that were picked. I am sure many of them deserved it with their hard work and determination. I am not one that normally jumps into the forums to chat. I usually sit back to watch what others have to say unless something hits me and I can't shut up about it. I watch to see what kind of personality emerges to determine if this person is worth following (along with the writing style they show.)
    When I first started on HP, it was still fairly small, but becoming rapidly popular. People would sign up, write one hub, and then spam follow people to create a large cluster of followers. It bothered me in a way because they would come across as almost impersonal...only there for the popularity contest and bragging rites. I would often wonder how many people really spent the time to actually read the hubs of the people they were following. Looking back, I think in some ways I lost a lot of possible traffic because of how selective I was. But, I wanted to make sure that the people I was following or those that followed me knew that it was based on a developing friendship and not greed.
    As I sit here reading these forums, I see this “crying babies gets feed” syndrome again. Sure it feels special to be “hand picked” or “random picked” but it was obvious from the get-go that not everyone was going to make the cut. I, too, would love to be picked in the first round for the opportunity of making money. (My household is currently unemployed.) But in many ways I am relieved that I didn't because of challenges I am currently facing. I would be afraid of letting down the HP staff if I couldn't produce a certain amount of great quality hubs.
    We have all been taught that patience is a virtue and I think this is one of those times that it pays to have patience. Just like a garden, HP will have to weed out those that want a quick buck without the work and those that truly care about this community and their writing.
    Again I say congrats to the first wave, and to those that have helped me thru my trying times of understanding things and needing help, thank you. It was greatly appreciated!

If you are referring to me in your"crying babies get feed" remark that is your right.  But you are perhaps unaware of what I have been through dealing with unscrupulous staff members on similar sites. 

I sacrificed over 100 articles on Helium to expose blatant lies made by the highest members of staff, including the president of the site, Mark Ranalli.  I knew I would get banned for doing so and do not regret my actions.  They eventually admitted I was right about the lies before booting me from the site. 

This is about principles and honesty, not money or sour grapes.  But think what you will, I know the truth and reasons behind my protest.   smile

1. sid_candid profile image57
        sid_candidposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Randy,
        I like your straight talk approach approach. But the fact is most people don't like to be told that they are wrong right on their face. I am much like you and may be that's why I don't have many friends.

Having lots of friends has always been easy for me because they know I will tell them the truth.  Also being self employed my entire life and dealing with businesses which will rip you off in a heartbeat has made my BS tolerance extremely low.

Perhaps you may understand why it sets off warning sirens when the spokesman of a business uses words like "I think it was a somewhat random selection process."  This type statement would not be acceptable to me in a real life scenario and the company surely wouldn't get my business or contract my goods.

A bad choice of words, or an intentionally ambiguous response to avoid full disclosure?  I prefer to believe the former in this case, but the statement caused more questions than it answered.  smile

Thanks for understanding, Sid! smile

1. tlpoague profile image81
            tlpoagueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Randy,
            No I am not referring to you or pointing the fingers to anyone in particular when I use the term “crying babies get feed”.  I am glad that you are taking a stand for what you believe in. I apologize if you thought I was picking you out of the crowd. That was not what I was after.
            I have spent hours reading the forums to understand what changes were made, how they would effect my hubs and adsense, and many other things that deal with how to of HubPages. When I first signed up I thought this would be easy. Make a hub, post a hub, make money. I never realized the extent of setting up adsense, backlinking, rss feeds, saving a back up hub, and directing a flow of traffic to my hubs. I was thinking of creative writing, not informative writing. There were many things I was blind to when I started. I know absolutely nothing about the computer and most of its programs except for what my husband had showed me. It has taken me a long time to learn a lot of this. (I have done many a rant over some of this.) I would have been a happy camper if HP had a live chat to walk me thru most of what I was learning.
            Again I am sorry if you or others thought that phrase was pointed directly towards you or them.

Thanks for responding, TL! Like you, I had to learn everything about the computer from scratch and if not for my son (an IT for the State) I would be completely lost.  I still have very much to learn, so I understand your point of view.

I also had to learn that some content writing sites and other online businesses have a different view of the truth than most of us.  HP is the best site I have found with some of the best writers on the internet.  They will be glad to help you with your questions too, another great facet of this site. 

I do not want HP to fall into the same trap as other content sites have done.  Division or favoritism in the community is always the beginning of the end on a writing site.

Perhaps I did overreact and I'm sorry if others do not understand what I've been through dealing with those previous content cretins.  I am happy to apologize to those who do not understand my intention in this matter.  smile

1. Aficionada profile image79
                Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A half page back I was all set to let Randy Godwin have it, after you made your point and then kept hammering at it again and again and again.  I've been preparing a major rant of my own.

And then you, Randy, had to come along and sound almost reasonable with this last paragraph - there go my plans.  I'll try to be reasonable too.

Sure, it might have been possible for HP to try to swear the first 500 to total secrecy - but is that actually practical?  I think some would have talked, no matter what.  There may be some real blabbermouths in the group. I do know some names - about 50 - since I began keeping a list of those who mentioned being invited (or not). They seem to me to be a good cross-section of Hubbers, mostly established Hubbers (rather than newer ones).  Of course, it's only 10% of the total, ones who participate in forums - (hm; that's how I got their names).

But as for HP's "intentions" in not demanding secrecy from 500 people...  we could just as logically say that their "intention" was to allow a sense of excitement and enthusiasm to build  within the community when a small-ish group tried out the program and succeeded at it.  Isn't that usually a very reasonable business/marketing strategy?  And honestly, that has been my response.  I'm not in the first group either; sure, I would have loved to be in -- Yes, I was disappointed not to be -- and I'm really excitedly looking forward to whichever wave I'll be in, even if it's the zeta group. But in the meantime, in hearing about the immediate earnings here, I have become much more excited about the program - not less, and certainly not irritated at what seems to me to be a reasonable procedure.

More to consider:  (First) even if the Ad program had been rolled out to all 220,000 Hubbers at the same time, and had been pretty successful for most, there would still be some grumbling about it - that's just human nature; and (Second) if all came in at the same time, even a tiny glitch would have been multiplied by 220,000.  Isn't the grumbling bad enough as it is?  And what if they actually had rolled it out to everyone and then the Big Panda had hit without warning? Can you imagine the chaos? (220,000 = a small city)

I understand that your intense reaction is a result of the "once bit, twice shy" variety (I can't believe I'm saying that to a snake lol). 

You say there are many Hubbers who haven't spoken up about being insulted at the way the Ad program was introduced.  But you do know it works the other way too, don't you?  There are plenty of us (not in yet) who are excited and happy about the program who have not yet spoken up in support of the way it is being rolled out in waves.  I would like to join my voice with the ones in that group, the ones who understand and are content with the way the program was launched.

PS - If my name is somehow selected before Randy's or Sid's or any other disgruntled eligible Hubber's that I know of, I want to yield my place to them, if I'm allowed to do so.                       Squeaky wheels and all that, you know.

No thanks, AF!  It was never about me having to wait for the invite.  I've already stated the reasons why it was badly handled and it was never about the money. 

Apparently, HP doesn't have a public relations person on staff to handle or peruse announcements which may have a detrimental effect on the members.  If they do, then they are paying them too much!  LOL!

Hahaha smile

Then, "No-you're-welcome, to you, RG." lol lol big_smile big_smile

It's not a problem to me that we disagree, and I'm sure it's not a problem to you either.  So on that note we can agree.  Wow!

As I mentioned briefly, I understand that a lot of your reaction is a result of experiences you have had elsewhere.  You are doing what you think it right to protect the community feeling here - as am I.  We just have different approaches.  You are bringing up what you see as legitimate grievances about the PR, and I am trying to bring up what I see as an understanding perspective about the process. 

Your approach has the potential of sounding bitter, sour-grape-y, and petty and of overlooking the genuinely good aspects of the way things are being done.  My approach has the potential of sounding smarmy, Pollyanna-ish, and fawning and of overlooking the genuinely hazardous aspects of the procedure. In all, I believe that both approaches are (or can be) relevant, valid, and important. I just felt the need to balance out yours which seemed to be hitting awfully hard.  (Maybe you were feeling the need to balance out the others who preceded your posts?)

As much as it may grate to have to (have to?) hear about others who are a part of something great when we are not (yet), we also hear or read in the forums about others who earn more, who have more followers, who have written more, who have more accolades or more up-ratings, who have better knowledge of SEO and so forth.  All of those things could create division within the community, but they don't have to.  They can also be learning experiences or models for inspiration and encouragement and hope.

We could be here arguing that it wasn't fair that the first HubCamp was offered to only the people who lived close to San Francisco; the location automatically made it difficult or impossible for most of us to participate.  We had to wait.  That was an advantage offered to some, and that advantage would make it possible for them to be better earners and more successful Hubbers.  But, instead of arguing about the location, most of us understood that the first HC had to take place somewhere, and the rest of us would have opportunities in the future.  (And it looks like HubAds will likely get to all of us before HubCamp does.  Yay, I hope.)

There are many, many things we could argue about, if we chose to.  As it is, I think it's great here that we can agree or disagree - even extremely vigorously - and then decide how to interact after the disagreement.  That's actually quite cool, I think.

At least we are not having to argue about which of us got picked to go first on the planes and boats leaving Egypt or Libya.

2. Lisa HW profile image61
                  Lisa HWposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Besides the matter of some people's probably not keep a secret anyway, if people had been asked to say nothing about being invited someone would have come up with criticism because it would have had a "hint" of conspiracy; or else HP would not have come across as being "above board".

To me, the way it's been handed comes across as HP giving everyone credit for being adults and being able to understand the challenge of doing something in 200,000 accounts.  Of course, people all think differently.  I, personally, would find a "big, secrecy, thing" (among hundreds of people) to be one of the things I find most objectionable about so many businesses:  "everything's a big secret".  People running/managing some businesses don't give the people who aren't credit for being grown-ups.

To me, the way this Ad Program thing has been handled has fostered a sense of being part of a team of grown-ups.  I think people who have come the forums and talked about being in the program are just doing the natural thing of talking about something new that's happening here, and not thinking they have to be worrying about who doesn't understand the thing about different waves.

To me, if HP comes out and says, "Hey.  Here's a new way you'll be able to earn money here", (which they did, of course), everybody ought to be pleased about it (and a whole lot of people are, and a whole lot of people understand the thing about thousands and thousands of people being involved).  There's a point where I don't think people (in this case, HP adm) can always worry about the non-grown-ups who might have trouble grasping the challenging of instituting something new like this, for so many people.  If there's one thing that can backfire when it comes to laws, policies, business, etc., it's gearing the things that are said, and the way things are done, to the people who are not the mature, reasonable, people and instead treating everyone like babies (or as if they're stupid).

Besides, in thousands of people there are always going to be a bunch who dig up something to criticize, a bunch who think they know a better way to do things, and a bunch who just liked to find fault.

Something very common in human nature is for people to say, "Well, it isn't that I don't understand, but it's about all those other, immature, unreasonable, people who couldn't deal with having to wait."  .

I don't find "somewhat random" at all difficult to imagine either.  It's easy to imagine how someone would say "x number of accounts from x regions, x number with x traffic, and/or x number with one or another trait/characteristic/statistic".  From there (a "somewhat random" start) could then be a way look for accounts that had as many "check marks" (factors) to them.  That kind of thing would mean a minimal number of accounts could serve whatever purposes there may be to serve (maybe advertisers-wise, statistics-wise, results-wise) - which would then leave room for yet more accounts to be included in each batch of 500.

OR, another "somewhat random" could be something like:  "Whoever shows up with x mix ox x kind of activity in the last (or next) 30 days." (that type of thing)

I'm not presuming anything about how things were done.  Just saying that "somewhat random" is easy enough to imagine.

(Anyone who gets a mob of Trick or Treaters each year, who packs up the Halloween candy in little bags, who tries to keep things fair, but also tries to give out treats suitable for all ages and all allergy issues; has seen how "somewhat random" happens (and is sometimes necessary).

Before invitations went out, I just saw June as the "real" date (the date when everyone could participate in the ad program), with any invitations before then just being a matter of being fortunate enough to get to start early.  I don't know...    I just see the new ad program as a nice thing that none of us had last month or last year, and as something everyone will be able to have in June.  I don't see anything to criticize HP about when it comes to this particular thing.  I don't think they particularly need a "special" PR person to reasonably explain the very same thing that has already been explained on here a few times.  PR people don't do magic.  A PR person isn't going to be able to head off the unreasonable reaction of anyone who plain, old, doesn't want to have to wait until June if anyone else doesn't have to.  Fortunately, most people don't interpret having to wait a little while as being "slighted".   (My last name begins with "W".  When alphabetic order is a factor, I'm only among those who must wait.  On the other hand, I'm a short person.  When lines are formed according to height, I've always found myself among the first.   I guess some of us have just had a lot of experience realizing that who doesn't get to go first most often has nothing to do with being slighted.)

1. profile image0
                    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well said Lisa, to me you have summed it perfectly. smile

2. Randy Godwin profile image59

Thanks for your response, Lisa.  I hope you never have to experience what I went through because of "intentional" slights to members on other sites.  I realized there were going to be posts such as yours countering mine before I decided to critique the method of introduction.

Sometimes it more difficult to do what one thinks is right than simply keep quiet when possibly harmful results may occur.  I am not accusing HP staff of intentionally slighting anyone.  smile

23. JON EWALL profile image61
    JON EWALLposted 13 years ago

THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION, LOOKING FORWARD TO PARTICIPATING

JON E

Wow Sen. Kennedy,  I didn't know you were still alive!  Welcome to HubPages!  smile

1. JON EWALL profile image61
        JON EWALLposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Randy Godwin
        THE SENATOR IS IN THE HAPPY KINGDOM?
        Have a great day, enjoy

Not so sure which kingdom he ended up in, Jon!  lol

Good to see you!

24. dragonmanstudios profile image41
    dragonmanstudiosposted 13 years ago

Sounds far too interesting.  Considering I'm doing reletively well as a new "hubber" I'm sure I can't wait to get my invite and see what will happen to my PayPal account.

25. Rwritings profile image65
    Rwritingsposted 13 years ago

Hopefully the new HubPages Ad Program will be easier to implement.  I tried doing the Google Ad for my Hub Pages.  I tried to copy and paste and it never worked.  I would follow the steps and I noticed on my laptop that some of the commands were either grayed out or I could not find the command to go to that they were refering to in their instructions.

Also it would be nice if the ads that would be posted one's hub pages would attract the right people who are serious about clicking on an ad to actually place an order instead of just clicking on it just because it's there.   It is very frustaing when you get 100's or even 1,000's of clicks and you're payingg so much per click but no one is buying!

I guess I'll just have to see.

Google Ads are placed on your Hubs by Google, not you.  You cannot place particular ads yourself.  Do you have your Google affiliate code pasted in the proper place?  smile

1. Rwritings profile image65
        Rwritingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure where you are suppose to paste the code.  I assume it would be on your own page, like your own wall.  Is that correct?

Go to your account-->earnings-->affiliate setting--->paste adsense code in provided area-->drink one beer and eat one pickled egg in celebration!  smile

1. Rwritings profile image65
            Rwritingsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heh!! Hub Pages what's with you deleating my response to Randy Godwin about a question I had concerning the topic of this forum?!
            I was NOT posting an advertisement or a promotional!!!

26. sathimanoj profile image59
    sathimanojposted 13 years ago

It is an awsome enhancement for hub pages. I am eager to get invitation to participate in the first 500 invitee group. Can you post few hubs with new HubPages Ad Program, so we can get an overlook of the new programme.

27. profile image0
    RenePogelposted 13 years ago

This new means of revenue sounds very encouraging and I for one am looking forward to being invited sometime between now and June.

28. barryrutherford profile image75

Randy  I think you know I agree with you on this point...

I appreciate your support, Barry!  I really worry about this great site being ruined by the type of "us versus them" mentality which has been the downfall of other such venues.  As has been shown by this unfortunate incident, it doesn't take much for human nature to override the best of intentions.

1. profile image53
        j4funposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been reading this thread and I have to say I agree with you.

Surely, there are many, many others who have been thinking the same thing, but don't want the back lash from the "Elite" and their followers. Or they don't want to be punished by being made last on the ad program's invitation list. Oops, I guess I just got demoted to being last on the list, if I wasn't already. LOL.

Thanks j4fun, but I am in no way comparing the volunteers here on HP with those on the previously mentioned dismal content site.  The volunteers here are very helpful and there is rarely a time I have ever witnessed them act in a manner suggesting superiority over the common members.

And I would like it to remain this way if at all possible.  Again, thanks for actually understanding my poor attempt at keeping things this way.  smile

2. frogdropping profile image77

I am one of those you speak of. Elite I mean. For the record I was already a volunteer way before the elite thing was created. I had no say in its creaton, one day it just 'was'.

Further I don't earn a single penny from HP for being in that group. Not a single red cent. If others are I'm not aware of it. And if they are, why?

On top of that, if you wish to take an issue up with me, something related to something I've said or done, feel free to wade in. My 'followers' I barely know. I often wonder why they even bother with me as I have followed maybe 20 hubbers in almost 2 years.

I'm sorry you view me and others as being something we're not. There isn't a secret club. I don't have access to anything in my account over and above a list of hubbers that have recently joined the site.

All I'm expected to do is greet them, say hi, welcome, etc. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not an undercover anything, a spy or anything similar (I'm supposing what I may be viewed as, I really have no idea).

I have scant contact with the HP admin team. Probably as much as anyone else on this side. There is no bat phone, there is no back door.

We're you or anyone else to insult or offend me, the only thing likely to happen would be a ban, and that only if it was flagged by someone or the HP team noticed it and deemed it against the sites TOS.

And whilst I'm flowing, were you to back me up to a wall and say 'name the elite', I would struggle. I don't correspond with those guys either. Maybe I'm anti-social, I don't know. But there are many assumptions about the elite and all of them are wrong. Way wrong.

Oddly, I was doing the same thing way back when, without the elite program, unknown, unheard of. I worked well to make people feel welcome, I did my best.I never looked for accolades, thanks or recognition. The E does not change that.

More than the google shake up, more than the forum shenanigans, more than any fights, brawls and fall-outs, the one thing that will have me consider leaving HP is this issue.

Edit: my apologies for my post not being on topic. At least not directly.

Sorry you have been accused of anything untrue, FD!  I think some were confused when I compared how great you guys are, with many of the volunteers on another content site. I certainly did not intend this to happen, nor involve anyone else in my own complaint.  smile

I hope all of the volunteers will ask for a change in the title given to them.  I know y'all didn't ask for it and it really gives some of us the creeps.  (like my avatar does to some here)smile

Again, sorry if I caused you guys any strife as it wasn't my intention to do so!  smile

Randy--

1. frogdropping profile image77

Hey Randy I wasn't getting offended so much as trying to undo some of the myths. I'm good, I just wish the title didn't cause the upset.

Maybe it's time to change it, it does cause suspicion and aggro that's for sure.

I think the intention was to highlight the fact that some hubbers put in extra time for the good of the site, or at least that's the way I perceived it.

Maybe we should just be known as Bubbers (buddys +hubbers) big_smile

Truly I don't think for one minute you or anyone else meant anything accusatory. My daughter is a senior student, she's got the badge saying so and she's felt the suspicion from her peers, like she's suddenly joined a secret club.

Was the same for me when I got promoted at work. Suddenly I'd become 'them'. That's life smile

So glad you understand, FD!  Nothing to do with you guys and the good things y'all do for the site.  smile  This title will always cause problems for HP, but let's see how long it takes them to realize it.  smile

2. IzzyM profile image88

Maybe its time to pick a name from AOL like 'Host' or 'Guide', or even just 'Volunteer', not that I'm personally bothered at all by the name 'Elite' like some hubbers obviously are.

I second this heartily, especially the last half of the post!

29. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

For What it is Worth Randy... You totally have my respect smile
    You Echo the concerns of all the real people here mate!
    Kudos to you!

The feeling of respect is mutual, PD!  Thanks mate!  smile

30. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I think any time that you have over 100,000 participants and pick 500 to be in a new program, it is hurtful to many.

But I also understand that HubPages is a very small company that has never done this before - and needs a smaller base to learn from as well. Jason explained this in a previous post.

Perhaps if they had called this an expanded beta test, it would have gone over better. It also doesn't feel all that random to me.

Heck there was a small part of me that was miffed at not being asked to be an origional beta tester. However then I reminded myself that I never sign up for anything for the first six months, because I hate being a guinea pig.

Thanks Nellie for your thoughts.  I'm not miffed about not being chosen.  Merely trying to prevent future misunderstandings.  Apparently my communication skills are lacking in this respect.  Not good news for my attempts at writing informative articles!lol

2. profile image0

Yes, I think that would have saved a lot of the aggro that's happening now!

31. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

No I didn't say you sounded miffed. I said I felt a little miffed when I heard they didn't want ME for an original tester - so I get how others feel.

32. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 13 years ago

Patience ...

33. Pearldiver profile image68
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Well I understand exactly what the message was and it is NOT a Sour Grapes response pointing out the Extremely Badly Thought Out Process that was applied to this exercise!

Absolute Amateurish business practice that was rolled out WITHOUT ANY Consideration to the Feelings of Disappointment felt by those who have tried really hard here and actually done more to promote this place than most would know!

Like Others... I am disappointed that irrespective of any promotion to the contrary... A Glaringly Obvious Double Standard exists here!
    I am disappointed because I have (foolishly) believed in the management ethics here... and found them to be questionable in many respects and endorsed by staff supported spammers with 100 million pages views misleading the public into believing that they are official corporate entities! That is Fraud In My Country!
    And... I am disappointed that with such a brave initiative as this program, that has the potential to double the value of the site... this release was not considered from a perspective that did not have the potential to damage the overall interests of the community that factually have helped HP from taking a larger hit from the SEs.
    This was a very Shallow Management decision, that has shown the depth of the decision makers, within the Public/Community Relations roles... (Completely Inexperienced People-wise!) But then I'm only looking at that statement from a professional business trouble-shooting perspective.
    It could have been allocated by ballot and that would have allowed them to bring everyone together, rather than split the community, which is where Randy is also coming from!
    AND... Further:
    WHY EXACTLY DO WE HAVE TROLLS HERE?

34. Len Cannon profile image88

Like I said before, I think I understand the complaint but I feel a little confused about what people want.  I am a tech nerd and this just feels normal to me.  I don't see people mad at Microsoft for giving some users the latest edition of Windows early or Blizzard for starting with a tiny number of beta tester's for World of Warcraft and slowly increasing them over the weeks.  That is just how beta tests have worked in the past.

If there is any favoritism, I don't know how I ended up on the list.  I am pretty much a non-entity and definitely don't have any close relationships with other users on the site, let alone HP staff members.

Not accusing HP of favoritism and I assume the Elite invited were in the first tests.  smile

1. englightenedsoul profile image57
        englightenedsoulposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Randy only 9 hubbers were invited in the first test and Len cannon was one of those beta testers and so was Simey C and they don't have the elite hubbers tag.  I think they were just chosen as they write on diverse topics and may be cater to different traffic.  Anyways these are all guesses. 

Also, I don't think I am qualified enough to comment whether HP could have handled this situation better as I have almost zero experience with other content writing site. 

Anyways, I hope you will continue to love and support Hubpages.  And on a side note Randy, I also want to accuse Hubpages of favoritism as you and habee always have a 100 author score and me never got more than 92 (Just kidding wink)

Thanks for your input, enlightenedsoul!smile  I would like everyone here to be able to state both their likes and dislikes without fear of being leaped upon by other members. 

Yes, there will always be disagreements, but we are human beings (not sure about a few here) and writers in the bargain.  And writers are known to be a little eccentric they tell me! lol

Those 100's are a mystery to me too!  I think those 100's are given to somewhat random hubbers.......naw just kidding!  smile

lol lol lol

2. profile image0

When the "Elite" designation was first introduced, I thought straight away that it was a bad (internal) PR move on HP's part.   

The very word "Elite" is bound to hack some people off and create a perceived barrier, even though AFAICT none of the people chosen as Elite are behaving any differently now to how they behaved before they were given the title.

Don't criticize the big guys for making suspect decisions Empress, or you'll end up like me!  smile

I don't know what they were thinking when they chose the title.  Perhaps HubGods might have been a bit over the top!  lol

I suspect the title itself prevents many from applying for the position.  It would for me, not that there's any chance I would be admitted anyway.  yikes

1. profile image0

"HubGods"?  LOL.  Or let's get really silly... how about SuperHubbers?  Or HubMasters?  (and HubMistresses, although that does have a kind of personal ads/bondage dungeon feel to it lol).

I think there were a few people who were offered the Elite "badge" but chose not to take it.

35. Richieb799 profile image74

How is the new Ad program going? I really want to be in the next wave.. Anyone experiencing more revenue?

36. Randy Godwin profile image59
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

Anyone else?  I'm tired of this thread, so let's get it over with!smile

37. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 13 years ago

Anyone else? Yeah...me! Here, RD - kiss this: (__!__)

CYBER MOONING!!!

Ah, so they saved the best for last, eh!  Sending a fellow Georgian in when all else fails!  Are those boobs?  When did you get a reduction:lol:

1. habee profile image92
        habeeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'd love to have a reduction. You payin' for it??

I'll do better than that, I'll do it for free!  I've lots of experience making boobs feel small!  smile

Trust you to save the 'breast' till last wink big_smile

38. scarlton profile image72
    scarltonposted 13 years ago

Looking Forward to it!

39. premsingh profile image61
    premsinghposted 13 years ago

HubPages Ad Program is really great. It's far better than Kontera though its not a substitute to it as kontera is text link program and both may be used together. Hubpages Ad Program is definitely going to add 50% more income what hubbers are already getting using adsense. I congratulate HubPages for adding this revenue earning feature and it will keep hubbers engaged for more time than they were at the moment.

I don't think you can write 'definitely'. I'd like to sing its praises. In fact I will - you do get more money from the HP ad program in relation, which is a positive for sure.

However, I suspect that some hubbers are finding what I am (so far) which is that the drop in adsense is made up by the HP ad program - it is not increasing my earnings.

Of course it's still early days, so I'm prepared to wait and see.

@ Randy - no harm, no foul. I'm cool. You're almost. Snakes are nearly cool tongue

Snakes are cold blooded, ya know!  That makes us double cool!  LOL!  Thanks FD!  smilesmilesmile

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
          prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Randy you're 100 there,  Gratz again...

Oh yeahhhhhh so he is. Again. Look at me, elite all to hell and back and trailing in his dust tongue

LOLOL, that tongue (red) of his did it...and the RV hubs

Now that makes me feel good, My Goddess!  (that better?)  lol

Thanks for noticing, PDH!  I can get close but can never get to the elusive 101!  Not giving up though!  smilesmilesmile

ArrogantAsp

I never get closer to 100 again, I need to write some hubs. You deserve the 100 truly!!

I don't know PDH, haven't published much lately but have a few ready except for photos I need to take.  Many links to my hubs disappeared in the Google update. 

I had thousands on some and I don't backlink, so I assumed others made the links because they were pleased with the articles.  I suppose it didn't matter to Google though--thurrrp....gone with the wind!  lol

I don't see much difference when having 100 except the newbies follow me more.  You'll get there again!  smile

Randy-

I think that changes are not final yet, I have a feeling that we should really need to wait for some time (maybe three months) to see the real effect of this new algo change. I can see that my info hubs are slowly recovering. RPM is a seesaw just like CTR.

Your hubs are longer and well written so in time they will be back, am sure of it. Thousands of backlinks, wow!! I didn't know you could lose the backlinks again. Now, go publish those hubs, get the pics..

Thanks PDH!  Yes, some are creeping back up and I hope they do so before my peak earnings season gets here.  But gee what some low click earnings.  Instead of getting a buck or more they are now worth very little, even if you get a bunch of them.  Oh well, root hog or die pore!  smile

All we can do is our best!

40. Richieb799 profile image74

Has anybody heard about the second wave of invites yet, suppose it'll be a while yet, maybe next week? I can hope lol

Not yet, but I did see some of the ads on one of my hubs during HP's timeshare!  I didn't know they were running them until we were invited.  So perhaps they are getting close.  smile

41. theherbivorehippi profile image65
    theherbivorehippiposted 13 years ago

I'm still over here pouting...uninvited.  sad  Keeping my fingers crossed for next time and feeling left out. (sniffle sniffle)  This guilt trip works so much better in person! smile

42. profile image0
    SockPuppetposted 13 years ago

when will i, will i get payment?

43. Laura du Toit profile image74
    Laura du Toitposted 13 years ago

Do I need to worry if when looking at my HubAd stats for yesterday it says "Pending"? Does this mean that they have not been updated or what?

44. Jaggedfrost profile image59
    Jaggedfrostposted 13 years ago

hello royal, long time no see.

45. profile image0
    donkeymailerposted 13 years ago

It's great. I will try it.

46. spotlight19 profile image46
    spotlight19posted 13 years ago

Hello there I cant wait to get the invite to join!!!

47. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

Can anyone tell me if yesterday's data posted today 3-24 includes the days it did not report, or it is only for 3-23?

When I checked for the days it did not report, it says No Data Available. Did we lose some days?  It showed pending since Sunday.

48. John B Badd profile image61
    John B Baddposted 13 years ago

I just filled mine out today.  Thanks for the invite and I am looking forward to more money.  big_smile

49. tritrain profile image70
    tritrainposted 13 years ago

Any word on how the HubPages Referral Tracker will work with the HubPages Ad Program?

50. profile image0
    RenePogelposted 13 years ago

I wonder when the next round will be launched.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)