jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)

Duplicate Content is now considered "Substandard"

1. dingdong profile image61
    dingdongposted 6 years ago

So, I had my hub moderated as substandard and I didn't see what made it so. I mailed them and got this reply:

Well, the hub in question only had some text portions copied from my own hubs. But still, it's counted as duplicated and further considered substandard as the percentage of duplication was highter.

That's how I see it.

I just wanted other hubbers know this while there's lot of discussion going around whether "duplicate content" (even if it's our own) should be allowed or not.

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
      BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I think the problem is the amount of speech mark related quotes you have. You could try removing those.

dingdongposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thanks, but the duplication was within and across my own hubs and I figured how to solve it.

I was using text capsule (instead of link capsule) to link to my other hubs along with some descriptions. The problem was I used the same set of links in a few hubs and hence it became duplicate.

2. livewithrichard profile image84
    livewithrichardposted 6 years ago

It shouldn't be allowed here at all.  I think we as a community should strive to ONLY provide unique and original content.

I also think that the community should self govern and weed out their own duplicate content so that we can all benefit.

3. dingdong profile image61
    dingdongposted 6 years ago

I know there's a warning (visible only to the author) shown whenever the system detects duplicate content, but the recent development is that it can also cause the hub flagged. That's what I wanted to convey here, from my experience recently.

4. lrohner profile image85
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Hmmm... There's a hubber with 294 hubs, all of them (from what I can tell) duplicated on several other sites. I've flagged and flagged but they haven't taken any down. In fact, he's still publishing. This  must be an extremely new decision not to allow dupe content.

Yes, it's very new.

2. Mark Knowles profile image61
      Mark Knowlesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

There used to be a flag for duplicate content - then it vanished and I stopped flagging them. It is still gone.

1. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
        BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have just tried to flag a hub just published for duplicate content, it's not mine that has been copied but I certainly recognise some of the content from another hubbers hub.

2. dingdong profile image61

Duplicate content with outgoing links was and is considered overly promotional. Now, it seems they don't allow duplication at all and such a hub is considered substandard.

1. Pcunix profile image88
          Pcunixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Why on earth wouldn't they announce such a major change??

First, obviously some people need to know this.

But also, announcing this could help those worrying about HP because it would indicate taking action.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image83
            Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Perhaps to announce it is to admit it?

No, that can't be it..

1. ThomasE profile image82
                ThomasEposted 6 years ago in reply to this

One of the moderators said they were rewriting the knowledge center articles at the moment to make them clearer earlier in the week, Maybe they are going to announce changes soon?

I hope so.

People are getting very nervous.  A little news can't hurt.

5. Andrew0208 profile image61
    Andrew0208posted 6 years ago

There used to be an inbuilt flag for duplicate content, great! It grandly stopped duplicate content of any nature to the bearest minimum. I've not observed recently if the guard existed shortly or not. I believe HubPages Team are working wisely to improve and secure the community at all times
    Flagging should also be checked to enable us minimize abuse or misuse of it; it is most likely. Self discipline and passion to write naturally will help us even better, the earnings ought to be the secondary. It can only get better.

working