jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (12 posts)

Ever get banned on purpose?

  1. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 5 years ago

    Has anyone ever gotted banned (from the forums, not the whole site) on purpose?

    I swear I spend so much time reading the forums, I almost want to get myself banned so I can do something else! There should totally be a self-ban button tongue (that was a joke, not a real suggestion)

    1. Randy Godwin profile image92
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

      There have been self bans by members here.  I am considering one myself.  lol

    2. Mark Knowles profile image60
      Mark Knowlesposted 5 years ago in reply to this
      1. rebekahELLE profile image92
        rebekahELLEposted 5 years ago in reply to this

        oh geez, I needed a laugh.. 

        I've thought about it, but figured it wasn't worth it, that's one reason why I have a few forums filtered.. now I don't even see the titles. big_smile

      2. lrohner profile image84
        lrohnerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

        Those were the good old days, Mark. And that was a classic! smile

  2. Rising Caren profile image80
    Rising Carenposted 5 years ago

    I woke up at 11 and soon after came on the forums

    It is now 2:51pm and I'm still on the forums (ok and checking email and google reader and watching tv. Forum checking isn't my only vice).

    However I haven't done anything worthwhile yet.
    If only I could have an old fashioned teacher right next to me to slap me with a ruler for not doing something worthwhile!

  3. darkside profile image83
    darksideposted 5 years ago

    A ban won't stop you from reading, it will only stop you from posting. And with 24 posts (even in 10 days) it's not what I'd call an addiction.

    But you do have 9 hubs in 10 days, which is good.

    You'll just have to exert some self control.

    And perhaps aim at spending no more than 20% of the time you have available to spend at HubPages in the forum. If you're using the other 80% for writing, editing and publishing hubs then you're doing well.

    1. Rising Caren profile image80
      Rising Carenposted 5 years ago in reply to this

      Well I did say I spent a lot of time reading. I never said I spent too much time posting. It's amazing how much a person can read without replying to anything.

      But aww sad a ban won't stop reading? Guess that won't fix my problem.

      1. darkside profile image83
        darksideposted 5 years ago in reply to this

        As Yoda once said: "Control, control, you must learn control."

      2. camlo profile image83
        camloposted 5 years ago in reply to this

        You could use Edweirdo's plug-in to turn off all of the Forums - of course, you'd have to resist turning them back on again.
        Have to go now ... I really shouldn't be here ...

  4. Lisa HW profile image82
    Lisa HWposted 5 years ago

    Usually, I only pop on here from time to time through a day, so I don't worry about how much time I'm on here.  Last week, though - that's something else!  I've been on a big binge (apparently) because a) all that stuff that was going on last Thursday was pretty interested to read, b) it's been horribly, bitter, cold and windy, here; so I've kind of shut down on doing things anyway; and c) I have a bunch of things in the making, and I'm incubating another bunch things in my "shut-down" time.  Every so often I just have to go into "shut-down" for a few days if time permits.  The good thing is, though, that watching the forums for a few days can give a person lots of ideas about things to write in the future.

    In any case, when I get into one of these "horrible" binges they're self-limited because projects show up, weekends come, the weather gets better, etc. etc.  Behind the "forum scene", I've been getting a bunch of Hubs that I'm actually kind of enthusiastic about written/partially written.  My stretch of goof-off time has done me good.  Strangely, the more energetic I get, the more I post AND get other stuff done - so I don't feel guilty or self-conscious about more time on here than usual.  smile  (All that aside, it was pretty hard to get away from reading what was going on last Thursday with the Google thing.  It's been much the same all week.  60 degrees coming up this weekend, though!  I'll be among the missing for quite some time.  smile  )

  5. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

    Ever get banned on purpose?

    Actually, I've made statements that I knew beforehand would lead to myself getting banned. However, it felt good to get it off my chest. lol

    However, there have been some members who have implemented self-bans, so they could leave or stay away from the forums. If you have no ability to post to the forums, then most often than not, you'll not even read them. smile