jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)

Says my hub is a duplicate.. but its not.

1. wisewomenrock profile image60
    wisewomenrockposted 5 years ago

Can you please tell me why i cannot publish my hub, it is not a duplicate because I am the creator of it and no one else could have written this on hubpages.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image81
      Maddie Ruudposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Your Hub is not duplicated on HubPages, it's duplicated from your own site.  Content that is not unique to HubPages is no longer permitted here.

1. wilderness profile image98
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hadn't hear that, Maddie!  Good to hear, though - I'm glad to see it!

2. snakebaby profile image75
        snakebabyposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Maddie: I've had 4 duplicates of my own writing published shortly after I joined knowing almost nothing about hubpages. Should I take them down myself? Will you remove all existing duplicate hubs?

2. TerryGl profile image61
    TerryGlposted 5 years ago

A good way to find if your hub is duplicate is to copy the text and put it through articlechecker.com This will return any duplicate entries and the words or phrases that are triggering the filter.

Find the words and change them. That should do it.

3. SimeyC profile image89
    SimeyCposted 5 years ago

It seems to take a while to update! I have four duplicate hubs - I have deleted the original copy from epinions, but it still is 'searchable' on Google even though the content doesn't exist - so I would guess that once Google's spiders are updated then it will remove the duplicate flag from my Hub!

1. Maddie Ruud profile image81

SimeyC, you can email us if the dupe warning doesn't disappear after 24 hours and we'll run a manual recheck.

4. Pcunix profile image89
    Pcunixposted 5 years ago

This is a good move - I assume it will take a while for dupes to actually get taken down.

However, I wonder about this: I have had HubDefender alert me to stolen content that your checker never found. Has yours been improved?

Secondly, will this be instant? If someone copies me again, do I get any grace to get them to take down their copy or do I get taken down? Taking me down could make it hard for me to prove they stole from me, could it not?

Or will you not take down in those cases but only when you spot existing content being newly published here?

1. wilderness profile image98
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good questions, PC.  I wouldn't mind too much if a hub was taken down for a day or two to help the problem. 

The question I would have is, if it is taken down and later re-published, what happens to our history with Google?  Do we lose our "seniority"?  Or do we keep it based on when we first chose and reserved a title?

2. relache profile image87
      relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You seem to be misunderstand the difference between duplicate content and a copied Hub as HubPages defines them.

If content you publish here was published somewhere else first, then it's duplicate content and you'll have that Hub moderated.

If someone copies content you published here first, then you get alerted, but you don't get disciplinary action taken against your Hub.

3. Maddie Ruud profile image81

PCUnix, we are constantly working to improve our duplicate checker.  We do have measures in place to protect you when your content is copied.  Your Hubs should not be moderated for duplicate content if they are ripped off.  Of course, oversights may occasionally happen, but we plan to be very careful around such issues.  If your Hub were to be accidentally moderated, I am confident we could quickly sort it out via email.

wilderness, considering that Google does not crawl every single page on the web every day, I doubt that one day of downtime would affect your Hub in their eyes.

1. Pcunix profile image89
        Pcunixposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Thanks - I'm happy to see this.

If your checker gets good enough, it could save me $8.00 a month smile

working