Problems submitting to stumbleupon

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (17 posts)
  1. crashcromwell profile image67
    crashcromwellposted 15 years ago

Does anyone post their sites on Stumbleupon? I started doing so earlier this week, and immediately started getting awesome traffic at a few of my underperforming hubs. Now, for the past few days, as I've tried to add additional hub pages there, they won't go through. I enter all the information and hit the recommend this site button, and then I wind up with a white screen that does nothing...ever....

Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

Every one who tried to spam stumbleupon run into that problem big_smile

3. crashcromwell profile image67

Am I spamming? I started posting there because I clicked on the share it button on my hubpages, and their site was one of the ones listed. Is it inappropriate to submit your own sites?

4. jyuva profile image58
    jyuvaposted 15 years ago

I think there is a limit to submit from one site big_smile

5. crashcromwell profile image67

Thanks for letting me know. I wondered if there may be some sort of limit about how many sites I'm allowed to recommend.

1. jyuva profile image58
      jyuvaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I think it is 10 posts from one site.
      I am not sure about this number big_smile

6. crashcromwell profile image67

I presently have 12, so that may be it.

7. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

lol

The whole point of stumbleupon is to submit sites that you like and want to share. Not to get a few hundred visits to "under performing hubs" lol . If some one else submits your hub and the readers like it - you will get thousands of visits. The most I have got is 120,000.

Many more spammers like you and hubpages will get banned the same way it has been from other social networking sites.

This is the second person I have seen this week complaining that they can't submit any more of their low quality hubs lol

1. crashcromwell profile image67
      crashcromwellposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That was definitely not my intent. Until this week, I had not submitted any of my sites to any of these operations. My traffic has been so low for a couple of months that I decided I needed to do more to promote my site outside of hubpages. I had seen the Share It button on my hubs, but hadn't used it. So I tried it. When I see all these sites, some of which I've heard of and others I haven't, I decided to try it. If what I have done is not proper, I'm going to stop doing it.

And also Mark, I wasn't complaining, I was simply asking a question so I could learn from others with more experience than I have. Thank you for enlightening me.

2. profile image0
      daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mark, hubs that aren't getting traffic anymore are not necessarily low quality.  I'm sure you have some older hubs that get very little traffic now as well, and I'm sure they are not low quality.  It's always nice to drag things  out of the mothballs once in awhile.

In answer to the question, I've been using Twitter to recycle some old hubs.  Just don't spam blast it, and you'll get some hits. I usually post one tweet a day with an old hub on it.  Helps there as well if you actually become part of the community before posting links to sites/hubs/blogs.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Dafla - I guess that depends how you measure quality. What criteria do you use when submitting your hubs to stumbleupon and discovering that they do not let you submit any more?

But you go ahead and submit all your hubs to stumble upon and if another bunch of people do the same thing - eventually the site will be banned.

And the question was specifically about stumblupon smile

8. crashcromwell profile image67

As I said Mark, I'm not going to continue. I'm a marketing novice trying to learn, and now I've learned this isn't how it's done. It seems to me that with the wealth of information out there on the web, the odds of anyone just happening to stumble upon one of my hubs is slim to none. So from my admittedly naive perspective, I thought it would be appropriate to post my own hubs (especially since hubpages put the link right there in front of me).

I come from a political background, and have been to many meetings where there were open seats on committees. It was considered entirely appropriate to place your own name in nomination, and as long as someone seconded it, the people could vote. So using that analogy, I thought that all I was doing was nominating my hubs, and if people want to "vote" for them by visiting them and hopefully enjoying their visit, all the better.

So if this is not considered an appropriate practice, does anyone have any suggestions of the correct way to spread the word that my little hubs exist?

9. Mark Knowles profile image59

Links to them from other sites.

Digg allows you to submit your own work.

Dafla has recommended Twitter (never used it myself).

I do not do a lot of this myself. As I have said on many occasions, if you write good quality content that is of interest to others, they will eventually find it and it will get traffic.

I have also learned that what I think is good is not necessarily going to appeal to anyone else. smile

My Osso bucco recipe has had about 50 visits since I wrote it lol

And there are numerous forum threads covering the same thing that are worth looking through.

What works for me may not work for you. Whatever Dafla is submitting to Twitter for example - I very much doubt that readership would be interested in the state of the Luxury Property Market in Hong Kong smile

One thing I do know is that it is a waste of time submitting the wrong sort of content to the wrong sort of audience.

Just look at what is popular on Digg or wherever.  Do you write that sort of stuff?

10. crashcromwell profile image67

Thank you Mark. I'm beginning to understand. I have also been submitting sites to Digg and Mixx, putting links to my hubs on my facebook profile and in my myspace blog.

My involvement with hubpages.com began back in January, as I neared completion on my novel. I had heard that one way to help get a novel published is to show a publisher that the book has some level of marketability. So I opened the account with hubpages and the first few posts I made were simply copies of the first few chapters of the book. Then I didn't do anything for a while, as I was living in transition. Much to my surprise, when things settled down in my personal life, I found that I actually had a few people sign up for my fan club without any effort on my part. That's when I started writing other hubs, finished the novel and posted a few more chapters.

Ironically, most of the pages I have been submitting to these different sites have been the chapters from my book. It's not that they haven't gotten any traffic, but I still would like to develop more of an audience for this novel.

11. Mark Knowles profile image59

Well, I suggest you look at the quality of the traffic. One thing I try very hard to do is give people what they are looking for. Do you have a google analytics account?

12. crashcromwell profile image67

I do have a google analytics account, though I haven't done much with it. Your point is well taken. I should call you Professor!

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 15 years agoin reply to this

lol

More specifically - see how long the stumble vistors stayed. If they bounced out in under 20 seconds......

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)