jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (10 posts)

Is Hubbing about loving or being loved

1. Jefsaid profile image82
    Jefsaidposted 5 years ago

I came to HubPages to express myself through my writing. I cannot say for sure whether it was about me wanting to share my views or to have my views shared. Since joining I have been drawn in by the accolades, number of views, comments, feedback, fan mail and ultimately my Hub Score.  I find myself checking these statistics several times during the day and worrying about whether they are improving or getting worst. I dedicate certain times to asking or answering questions, taking part or creating forums and reading other Hubs. Yet, I confess to being impressed or even envious at the number of accolades and the number of followers others have.   In the back of my mind is that nagging desire to be up there with them and I face the constant dilemma of whether to focus more time writing my hubs or contributing to the Hub Community. It leads me to question whether I want to love or be loved in the greater scheme of things.  How do other Hubbers feel about their experience?

Jefsaidposted 5 years ago in reply to this

By the way, apologies for this appearing under Politics and Social Issues.  I had been viewing forums under that Topic when I decided to put this one out.  I thought I had changed it but obviously not.

2. goldenpath profile image80
    goldenpathposted 5 years ago

You're not crazy!  It's a view secretly shared by probably most here.  Each individual wants to have an affect or an impression on the world.  That's why the religious forums are flooded.  It's an easy way to make an impression or cause contention.  Equal it out.  Be mindful of your stats yet try to make each hub worthy of who YOU are.

1. FaithDream profile image84
      FaithDreamposted 5 years ago in reply to this

that is very good advice goldenpath.

2. wearing well profile image78
      wearing wellposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Goldenpath,I couldn't agree more smile

3. frogdropping profile image84
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

Jef you can do both. You can read and rate others, participate in the forum, and I do honestly believe that being more visible makes people take notice of you.

But going on my 'numbers', none of it makes my experience on the site any better than yours or anyone elses. I don't know a tenth of those that follow me, nor why they do so.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you feel that your hubs are valuable, if you enjoy writing them and that Hubpages is a great place to be, it's all good.

I am learning to chill out a bit and just write when I am ready and read when the moments feel right.

1. May PL profile image89
        May PLposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You know, Jefsaid, I have had those thougts too. However I have decided to balance the both. I have found that I enjoy both the writing and the community aspect as well.

4. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 5 years ago

sounds like we have a new term.."Hubpage Envy"smile

Well my use of the word envy might be a bit of an exaggeration but I guess that is effectively what I mean.  HubPages do a good job in making the accolades and the advertising of people's achievements look so spectacular.   It has the same allure as the lights at a fun fair or on a fruit machine. Particularly with being a fairly new Hubber it is amazing to see the accolades, views and contribution of some others.