jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (11 posts)

How is "duplicate" determined?

1. weholdthesetruths profile image61
    weholdthesetruthsposted 5 years ago

I just had a hub unpublished of course, all the accompanying warnings...   Yet, the hub is purely an opinion piece, nothing whatsoever taken from anyone else... 

So far, this is second, with the same complaint, and it absolutely IS NOT anything but purely organic and original composition. 

So, who determines this, and how?   I am NOT changing it, it is NOT taken from anyone else, and can't be revised, it is simply opinion.

2. Cagsil profile image83
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago

The duplicate content label is determined by polling other resources online that which is exactly the same as the written article produced by you. The one that is older is the dominate. Thus, anything created afterward would be duplicated.

However, even with that said, I would like to throw a kink into that, because I published a hub that was tagged duplicate, but within a week or two, it lost it's duplicate flag.

On a side note- if your article has specific sentences that match other content online more so than having original written content, then you could also be subjected to a duplicate tag.

I hope I explained that properly. smile

weholdthesetruthsposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I wrote something about christmas...  A very original bit, but of course, Christmas is a big topic... 

I also got a warning about a site because it quoted the Constitution.  "duplicate".   Sheesh.   

The problem is, there's nothing to tell what is supposedly duplicated, or where.

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 5 years ago

It's also possible that someone stole your content and then backdated the publish date to make it appear to be the original. Just email team@hubpages.com. I'm sure they'll sort it out.

4. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago

When that happens you can appeal it to team@hubpages.com. I got one on my Robert F. Kennedy article. I just quoted less, wrote more in my own words and linked to the rest of it.

5. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 5 years ago

You indicate that it is all your composition, but is it unique to HP?  Do you have the same article published elsewhere?

HP is no longer accepting duplicate content whether it is yours or not.  It must be unique to HubPages.

Yes, it is unique to hubpages. 

Wait, you're telling me that if someone, somewhere quotes me, I get taken down here?

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If (IF) I understood comments from HP that is possible, but great effort has been put into preventing it and any such occurrence would basically be a glitch in the system.  It would also be fairly easy to correct by writing to HP.

I also think it would take considerably more than a mere quote; copying a major portion of the hub would be more likely.

Check this out, along with following posts:

Ugh.  I'm quoted from here to kingdom come on a  bunch of my hubs.   All that I've found link to me, and drive traffic through, but I don't want to have to edit  things because I get quoted on a dozen high traffic sites.

2. relache profile image88
          relacheposted 5 years ago in reply to this

In another thread, Maddie says that's not supposed to be the case, and that if any mistakes happen, please contact the admin team.

6. The Blagsmith profile image77
    The Blagsmithposted 5 years ago

First of all I had the same problem and two of my most famous articles got the duplicate tag. However, I suspected it was because my own stuff had been well circulated through the article directories so I addressed this issue on a hub and Cagsill (who appears here as a reply) kindly confirmed it for me.

However, I also thought that if I wrote another article through sourcing and then use my own words to describe my findings then my work must be original. And if my work is original and I publish it on HubPages before elsewhere then anybody that does quote me will get the duplicate tag instead.

So, it does work both ways and the duplicate tag may work against us but it can also serve to protect against plagiarists too.