Forced download on front page

1. IzzyM profile image84
    IzzyMposted 5 years ago

Signed out to look at the front page, and couldn't help noticing my net meter turning red as the bandwidth got used up suggesting I was actively downloading.

Signed back in and it stopped.

Signed out and went back to the front page and it started again.

I take it then that the video embedded there activates itself on to the viewer's computer so that if they wish to play it seamlessly, they can.

I don't think this is a good idea. There are still plenty folk all over the world with a limited bandwidth allowance like me.

I'm sure it can be changed to not download until the user activates it.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image88
    Rochelle Frankposted 5 years ago

That's too bad.. Yes, I remember dial-up. I used to keep dental floss and manicure tools by my computer so I had something useful to do while I was waiting for something to load.

1. IzzyM profile image84
      IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

LOL, it was dreadful, wasn't it?

With no landline, I've got '3G' mobile access which never reaches the speeds it's supposed to, seeing as I live in the sticks.

But even though its on the slow side, it's OK until I used up my allowance every month, and then it crawls - worse than dial-up - until the new month kicks in.

So I have to be really careful on what pages I look at or what I download - even youtube will run away with my allowance - to stretch the little I'm allowed over a month.

Maybe it isn't the video at all - maybe it is just those big pics loading.