jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (17 posts)

Hub Hopping Help

1. 60
    rieomposted 5 years ago

I hub hope but have not voted anyone down after reading their hub even if I did not like it.  I cannot help but wonder that if I vote someones hub down, then they or their followers will come vote me down. So, is it not a good idea to hub hop?

1. Uninvited Writer profile image83
      Uninvited Writerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No one...other than HubPages administration ... knows if you vote someone down.

2. 0
    Website Examinerposted 5 years ago

The purpose of Hub Hopping is not to vote hubs down, but to flag hubs that may be substandard or for other reasons against the rules. The Hubber cannot see that their hubs or profile page have been flagged.

3. mdlawyer profile image61
    mdlawyerposted 5 years ago

It is part of the community check.

4. qeyler profile image80
    qeylerposted 5 years ago

With the content farm problem in our face, we have to police hubpages.  Just today I had to flag more than a dozen chunks of spam.

5. 60
    rieomposted 5 years ago

I have only come across two articles in my hub hopping that were really bad.  I don't hub hop with the intention of voting someone down.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 5 years ago in reply to this

If true, you either haven't hopped much, haven't read and understood the TOS or don't care about the spam and junk on HP.

I bet that over half of what I see when hopping violates the TOS the rest of us operate under.

1. 60
        rieomposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You are right wilderness, I have not done much hub hopping because of the concern about how it was going to be perceived.   To me hub hopping can be fun because I may land on a hub that I would normally have no interest in, but enjoying and learning dispite this.

6. frogdropping profile image85
    frogdroppingposted 5 years ago

HubHopping is simply a way of participating in the Hubpages community. When we find something that's against the site's TOS and flag it as such, it may well be that it had otherwise gone unnoticed.

I have just been hopping and being perfectly honest I found very few of those I came across to be worthy of leaving published (IMO).

The more I hop the more I wonder whether HubPages is gaining a growing reputation for being nothing more than somewhere to create backlinks.

Frog, don't you think we are getting fallout from other sites that have kicked off their own dregs?

I don't doubt that we have the rep you mentioned, but it seems that there would be a lot of spammers roaming around looking for somewhere new to put their garbage as well.

2. wilderness profile image95

Just went hopping.  I found one 3 year hubber with nearly 50 hubs.  Checked 9 of them, 100% with links to his website and another link to somewhere else, most with links to a certain squidoo lens.  All fairly short hubs.

As you say, we're a link farm. sad

1. IzzyM profile image85
        IzzyMposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I went hubhopping twice today. Did you notice that new hubber who has put up something like 46 hubs in less than 30 hours?

Thing is they all look like good original articles - a bit lacking in photos and other media - but then she probably never had time to put them up.
        I am assuming she's written them all previously, or perhaps removed them from another site..

A bit odd, yes, but I can think of several reasons for that.  Maybe she shut down her own site, or got sick of squidoo or something.  Maybe they are from school papers.  Possibly a group of friends working together.

Lots of possibilities and none of them matter if it's good content and not duplicated.

7. CMHypno profile image90
    CMHypnoposted 5 years ago

One thing that I really do not understand is why do people comment on some of these obviously too short, low quality hubs? I hopped a really bad one this morning, which had two comments saying what awesome writing it was?

1. 0
      Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Good point. I've raised the same issue concerning duplicate hubs, where some people don't mind to comment and cheer. I even posted a question about it.

http://hubpages.com/question/91764/do-h … -followers

1. CMHypno profile image90
        CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I read some of the answers Website Examiner, and one of the responders seems to have a strange idea of the role of the HubPages 'Elite' and also highlighted that many here still do not view HP as a community that we all have a responsibility for maintaining

1. 0
          Website Examinerposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yes, I've been shaking my head about that answer. There is a constant need for educators and role models here.

working