jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (4 posts)

First 'Quality' Hub

1. Ritsos profile image64
    Ritsosposted 6 years ago

I'm in the early twenties of my hubs and some are better than others and some are going to be worked on and expanded, but based on previous comments, I've just spent a fair bit of time researching and writing a hub and would appreciate any feedback on it. I don't expect it to make much money, if any, so it's mainly about the quality of the writing, though feel free to make any other (relevant) comments.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Yannis-Ritsos-G … -Communist

thanks

2. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 6 years ago

I read and commented.
    it looks good.wink

3. lrohner profile image84
    lrohnerposted 6 years ago

Interesting hub! The flow of the article is very good, but there were some technical problems that could be worked on. There were a few grammar and punctuation issues, but those can be easily cleared up by running your work through a good grammar checker.

There were quite a few sentences that might be more readable if you just cut out some excess words and/or restructure the sentence. For instance, this:

Although it is possible, if things had gone smoothly, that he would have had a comfortable middle class lifestyle, perhaps the very date of his birth may have been an indication that this was not to be the case.

might sound better like this:

If things had gone smoothly, he might have enjoyed a comfortable middle-class lifestyle. Perhaps the very date of his birth may have been an indication that this was not to be the case.

And this:

Yannis Ritsos is perhaps one of the best known poets of Greece, but largely only in Greece itself. Most of the rest of the world has heard of Homer,Cavafy and Seferis but few outside of Greece seem to be aware of this great poet.

might sound better like this:

Yannis Ritsos is perhaps one of the best-known Greek poets. Ritsos' counterparts, Homer, Cavafy and Seferis, enjoy global recognition, but few outside of Greece seem to be aware of this great poet.

Take my examples with a grain of salt as I wrote them off the top of my head, but you get the idea. smile But there were several instances that I thought read a little bit, well, clunky.

Overall nice work, and welcome to Hubpages!

1. Ritsos profile image64
      Ritsosposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Thank and good point irohner ... when I started to write poetry I got similar advice and stripped one of my first poems down from a side of A4 to about  lines lol

will take a look at that in next few days

cheers

working