jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)

Question about Google traffic analysis

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

OK, so I know it's possible find out certain information about different traffic sources in the "My Traffic Sources" section of your account. 

But what I'd like to have is a graph showing the rise (and fall!) in overall google.com traffic across my whole account (not for each individual hub).  I thought that Google Analytics would be able to do this, but it turns out that it doesn't distinguish beteen the different flavours of Google (google.com, google.co.uk, google.com.au etc).  Or rather it does, but NOT for organic Google traffic, only for Google referral traffic (which I assume is traffic that comes to you from Google via other people's hubs or other sites altogether).   

Is it really not possible to do what I'm asking, or am I missing something really basic?

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You can get analytics results per country - this is the metric I have been using to determine traffic levels from google.com ie: USA. You can also compare current traffic levels to pre algo change levels. This is how:

Go to content overview

Click page views

Where it says page and then "none" (in a box), just above the list of your pages, click none and then select country/territory.

Now go to the date selection box.

Select Feb 24 to today

Then click compare to past - it will automatically select the same number of days before the 24th Feb.

Click apply

You should now see results from before and after algo change and a % increase or decrease per country.

Hope that make sense! Let me know if it doesn't smile

1. EmpressFelicity profile image83
        EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Hi Susana, thanks yes, this is helpful - I also tried applying a filter that restricted the source to just "google.com", but I wasn't able to get Analytics to add an extra filter so that I could just see US Google traffic rather than google.com.au etc. traffic as well.  So it's not a precise tool (at least not the way I'm using it lol) but it does help.  The comparison thingy is a nifty feature as well.

2. Amanda Severn profile image91
    Amanda Severnposted 5 years ago

Thanks for that info Susana. It makes depressing reading. Some of my hubs are seeing a good increase in traffic, but unfortunately they're not the profitable ones.....

3. EmpressFelicity profile image83
    EmpressFelicityposted 5 years ago

Recap:

Susana, I'm copying your instructions, with an extra step added (for the benefit of anyone else out there who finds Analytics a bit baffling at times):

Go to content overview

Click page views

Where it says page and then "none" (in a box), just above the list of your pages, click none and then select country/territory.

Extra step: at the bottom of the page, click the Advanced Filter button, which should give Country/Territory as the green option, and type United States in the box.  Then click Apply Filter, and do the comparison thingy you mentioned.

On both my accounts, my US traffic (from whatever source) has dropped by between 40 and 45% compared to the previous month.  Scary.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Cool, didn't know about that option tongue Analytics has so many data options it can be very overwhelming. I've only just started getting my head around it myself.

@ Amanda, Yes they are depressing stats at the mo sad

working