Is link spamming allowed or not? Suggest update to TOS and TLC

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (56 posts)
  1. Pcunix profile image91
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Recently, both Mark Knowles and Misha have said that spammy linking is not harmful.  I disagree (search "Google Bowling" to see why) but very little here at HP would support my opinion.

We do have Jason Menayan on September 30th, 2010  at http://blog.hubpages.com/2010/09/the-pa … r-day-hub/ saying:

We strongly suggest everyone read our Learning Center post on backlinking:
    http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/a-gu … cklinking/   We will be detecting and banning accounts that use spammy techniques to get backlinks to newly-published Hubs, so Hubbers should opt for a conservative approach to any backlinking effort.

but nothing like that is stated in the TOS or the Learning Center.

If spammy linking is fine with HP, the TLC should say so.  If it is not, it should say that.

BTW, these "techniques" ARE against Adsense TOS, are they not?

1. WryLilt profile image88
      WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well it's interesting that some people who are known to "spam" haven't yet got their rolled out Ad Program Invite.

I think HP is still sitting on the fence.

Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That could be just coincidence.

I have asked before that this be clarified and have been ignored.  I think it is very important to clear this up now as people are watching their traffic dry up.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

I suspect that this will relate specifically to the direct backlinking of a hubpage, rather than the backlinking of a backlink wink

Indeed - indirect link building is much harder to detect and of course much harder to assign blame.

But we still need clarification of policy.  We have people like Misha and TerryG advising all sorts of behavior that may or may not get people in trouble with Google and may or may not get them in trouble with HP if used against their hubs here.

If HP thinks it is fine, they should say so.  If not, they should say that.

3. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 13 years ago

I agree that that a clear and understandable policy would be very good for Hubpages.

4. TerryGl profile image57
    TerryGlposted 13 years ago

Are you serious.

You joined in a thread http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69213?page=2 where Mark and Misha gave a response to your rant.

Now you come an start your own thread designed to denigrate Mark and Misha. This is clearly against the terms of service of this forum and is basically a cheap shot.

I have seen this over the last few days (thanks Ryan) and all it does is make the op out to be somewhat a braggart and a coward to use this type of forum in this forum.

You Pcunix are not making friends here. You might need to re-think your position in posting threads on the forum and if you need to remain a member of Hubpages.

For myself, this is totally inappropriate and a personal attack on those that put you back in your place.

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm sure you appreciate any opportunity for a free backlink wink

PCunix has a valid question, based upon a blog post, my reply on here actually suggests that YOUR technique is not one which is picked up on.

If you were to submit a hubpage directly to SlickSubmitter or whatever it is called then I suspect that it would be unpublished, if you submit to a few directories and then backlink those directories then I suspect that it would be outside of the Hubpages remit.

2. Pcunix profile image91

A personal attack?

These people and you believe that gaming google is appropriate behavior.  That's fact and it's not an "attack" to say so.

I'm simply asking (again) that HP clarify their position on spammy linking. It would be nice if they covered to whole gamut of black and gray hat SEO, but all I'm asking about is this.

5. TerryGl profile image57

Ryan first - backlink - what back link? From your last lame attempt on starting a thread I do beleive you owe me an apology. You got shut down in flames. You tool!

Pcunix next - you know as well as I do your garnering support and basically it won't work. You've been here nine months, they have been a lot longer so you really need to back down. I have had my run ins with both Mark and Misha and I would buy them a beer any day, you and Ryan I wouldn't.

Simple..

1. Misha profile image62
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL Terry, just give it up, one cannot have a conversation with a broken gramophone. big_smile

I really don't care what you think.

I'm asking for a statement from HP, not you or Misha.

1. TerryGl profile image57
        TerryGlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well then why didn't you send them an email rather then trying to have everyone think your something your not and make some you beaut statement to the world like you have just done.

Your not making any friends here at the moment.

Thanks Misha, I seem to agree with you.

1. profile image0

And if you take exception to this thread then why not send the HP team an email yourself? There is a report button, after all.

Yes, Terry, please do.

Report me for an imaginary "attack".

This topic is "Report a problem or suggest a new feature".  I'm suggesting a needed clarification of policy.

3. profile image0

No apology forthcoming any time soon, just like that beer wink I too would happily buy Misha and Mark Knowles a beer, and if he didn't show up wearing that silly wig I would probably buy Pcunix a beer too.

My thread did fail, yes. It failed to recieve any middle ground input. I had people from both extremes, hence the reason I left you all too it and walked off into my happy rosey land of centre ground to perform some moderate backlinking and a bit of market samurai analysis. I had people using automated tools V somebody who sees all SEO as evil; there wasn't a place for a white hatter.

Then I expect you will start a new thread titled my apology to TerryGl or do you not have the balls to do that. Being from where you are I don't think you do.

You did say you would give the guy his dues, well start giving.

And thanks for the exposure too, I had a great last two days and the emails I received I would like to forward to you. But then again, I hate to rub it in when someone opens their big mouth like you did and got it all wrong.

Like I said Ryan you have a big mouth and you need to shut it.

1. profile image0

I won't be giving you an apology TerryGI, neither do I believe that you deserve one. Maybe you should thank me for the backlink and the exposure? Nah, didn't think so. I will apologise to the community at large, for inciting argument between Misha, Mark Knowles and Pcunix. I prefer those three to do battle on their own threads.

Well hello, who is the liar now. You called me a liar and a Google spammer and when you start a thread that questions my integrity, you don't have the two swingers between your legs to face up to it.

So Ryan who is the one now? Is it the country you live in or just you?  You got plenty of balls to come out with your condescending views but when it comes to admitting your wrong and to give an apology, your the first to back away.

1. profile image0

My views haven't changed. People who use article spinners to fill the web with junk don't earn any respect whatsoever from me and that is never going to change. Ever. Sorry, I fail to notice the connection between a forum thread and a country of 66 million, care to elaborate?

Sure I could say plenty. You have it all wrong about spinning. You think put in text press button, new article. I don't. I spin my own unique content to about 350% per cent. That's where you missed the point. I spin the living daylights out of my own work.

I spin my own content. PLR I spin up to 600% after I have purchased it. Your barking up the wrong tree with me. My articles are sound, I can assure you. I promote ethical spinning.

If you like, I could spin your articles on hubpages, put them on a website and do very well from them.

Can you also put up the url of the thread where you apologize to me?

1. profile image0

Exactly, my precise point. You could spin my articles, just like so many have done already, that makes me respect you even more hmm And you may be an "ethical" article spinner, if such thing exists, but the hundreds of people that you promote article spinning software to probably aren't. Why can't you sit down and heavily research an article? Then write 1000 words on a topic that you are now a minor-expert at?

Then, if you articles earn so much money as you claim, pay an oDesk writer to 're-write' those articles? I paid an Australian guy $3 an article recently, he was skint, begged me for more work. It wasn't even rewrite work, original content. I'll give you his contact details if you want.

Now, what does my country do with anything? Feel free to pour vitriol over the United Kingdom, I am intrigued. I have Spanish and Irish in my blood too, feel free to pour vitriol over those. Is it because we buy your houses? Or what? That's the normal line that I get.

1. Misha profile image62
                    Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are missing the point Ryan. There is garbage spin, and there is quality spin, and the difference is like between garbage text and quality text. If you take your time to do a quality spin, the resulting articles read as good as original ones. smile

2. SiddSingh profile image60
                SiddSinghposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is the complete sentence, that was asked to be clarified.

6. TerryGl profile image57

Thanks Misha that's my exact point. Ok Ryan I give you the fact that some do spin unethically. In all my hubpage writing I advocate ethical spinning. I take my work and I spin it. I produce quality stuff that I use for my own benefit. It is also that stuff that allows me to enjoy a home work style.

I do not "work", although I work to keep my accreditation. I don't do black hat. As for blackhat, there is a nice trick or two with Wikipedia that I have at my disposal, but I do not do it. I do not need to.

As for the likes of us backlinking using Sick Submitter EVO11 and anything else we can get our hands on, hell heh we do. Why not. Links means position and position means money. Thats how we make a living off the net. Not a few dollars here and there but thousands of dollars beyond anyone's normal weekly earnings.

Thats why when someone comes along and tells us were unethical we go pith!!

So you tell HP to go pith when they say what I quoted in the original post?

No, how did you come to that point. Look, I make a living out of this, I take it seriously. I have all the Adsense tracking script money can buy working on my sites right now, I protect my income. I also work to terms of service and nothing, nothing I do is ever in contravention of any sites terms of service.

I do not want to be rude, but I class myself not as the little guy, but the big guy.  Sure Pc you have been doing this a while, so have I. Sure Ryan has heaps of hubs, good on him and no one can belittle him for trying and he is doing a good job at the same time..

I do take offense when I am accused of spamming search engines, being called a liar or doing anything black hat. I have an ebook on black hat that is sixty pages in length, wrote it myself, so I know what black hat is. Still I do not use it.

Back off with the attacks and take what ever advice comes your way with the blessing it deserves.

And as a point of order, Ryan and you Pcunix need to be more forgiving in your responses then what you are doing at the moment. Back off on your ego's and be the good guy's I and possibly many other hubbers believe you can be.

Then you'd think that you would be anxious to see the TOS and policies clarified, because they certainly are not clear now.

But, no, you don't want that.  You want to keep on telling people that anything goes, just like Mark and Misha.

PC read that out aloud to yourself and ask yourself was that the right response.

Yes, it is the right response.

I haven't read your hubs (well - I read one and that was quite enough) so I don't know where you stand on spammy link building.  I do know where Misha stands and where Mark stands, but the important thing is where HP stands.  That's what I have asked for here.  I don't care what you think.

Care to define what you think spammy link building is?

I could, but that would just be my opinion.

As you saw in my OP, Jason Menayan said that HP will be "detecting and banning accounts that use spammy techniques to get backlinks to newly-published Hubs", but HP has not said what "spammy techniques" are.

It's their opinion that matters - if Jason's statement is even policy at all, which is not clear either.  If they say anything goes, than no definition is needed.  If they say his statement is true, they need to set the parameters.

2. profile image0

I am happy to agree to us being very different people. I am also extremely proud of the fact that I "enjoy a home work style" by earning "Not a few dollars here and there but thousands of dollars" through pure hard work and without the use of a single article spinner and without any automated backlink submitter (I am using one for a domain only). You seem to be assuming that I work the 9-5. But I am happy to leave you alone, it is up to Hubpages whether they condone you or not, and it looks as if they do. So fine, carry on doing what you are doing unless you are told otherwise. It is not my place to decide that, even if it would be the stance that I personally would take (and will take on my own mini-content farm).

Good one Ryan, I take that as your apology then. Good to see the UK lives strong.

1. profile image0

This has nothing to do with the UK, unless you explain how.

Is this an apology? Perhaps. It is not an apology for holding the views that I do, not in the slightest, I strongly stick by those. Maybe this is a slight admission that I shouldn't have called you out individually, and that if I had wanted to make it public I should have identified that there were numerous hubbers taking the same approach. And that, in addition, my gripe is with Hubpages for condoning this practice rather than those who perform them. How is that?

Well, it is HP's choice as to what they allow.

The point is that right now they are sending mixed messages.  It's way past time to straighten it all out.

2. TerryGl profile image57

That's fine Ryan, if you said that to me in the pub two days ago, then you would probably be waking up this Saturday in hospital. It was a cheap shot and you should not have done it. No one likes being called a lair.

It was un-deserved of me to receive what you did. Sure we agree to disagree, we both agree on one thing, I don't like you and you don't like me.

If you have a beef with hubpages then that's not me. We'll leave it at that, I wont jump on your threads nor follow your posts.

1. profile image0

I'm glad that we can agree to just hate each other and leave it other alone, although threats of violence are unneccesary. Trying to put me in hospital two days ago would have resulted in your legs being broken, seeing as I had about thirty lads out for my birthday and several had just got back from a nice leisurely tour of Aghanistan.

Well there you go, lucky me. You don't want to know who I was with two days ago. There would have been no way any one of us would have been looking at each other.

1. profile image0

Well it would have had to have been Chopper Read lol

Or the Anderson twins!!

That's absolutely true, except in my case it's not really a "beef".  I personally detest the kinds of things you and Misha do, but there is nothing illegal about them and you are hardly unique. It's HP's business what they allow and do not allow.

The point here is only to ask HP to clarify its policies on spammy linking.  If they say it is not allowed, then they need to define it.  If it is allowed, then anything goes. 

I wish they'd take on the whole area of SEO and define what is and is not acceptable here, but as the only comment so far was about spammy link building (quoted in my OP), that's enough for now.

1. profile image0

I would be happy with that too. Hey, if they want me to use article spinners and backlink tools I will. No sweat off of my back, for now I will experiment using only my own cheap domains.

2. TerryGl profile image57

And, exactly what is it that I do?

I'm not going to give you a link, Terry.

You know what you do.  If HP says that's all fine, so be it.  But people need to know whether following your advice is fine or not, and right now they do not.

See there's the problem right there. You heard the term Google Bombing, Spammy Links Jason Menhayan, Terms of Service and spammy techniques.  You come on the forum and call us out saying "you know what you do" and cannot for the life of you back it up.

You told me you know what I do and when I ask you don't reply - why - because you don't know what I do.

You quote spammy links and do not know what a spammy link is.

You read Jason's name on Hubpages blog.

Google Bomb was something quoted by someone else.

See, you know nothing. Your not a computer consultant at all. I bet your typing from a Commodore 64 as we speak.

You have lost all credibility with me Pcunix.

Exactly.  That's why you would think these folks would welcome a very clear statement of policy rather than objecting loudly to my call for it.

It's not up to you or me, it's up to HP and THEY need to make it clear.

7. TerryGl profile image57

OK, for the un-initiated spam is defined as:

Spam is the use of electronic messaging systems (including most broadcast media, digital delivery systems) to send unsolicited bulk messages indiscriminately.

Now that is a quote from Wikipedia. The next topic is forum spam. Nothing about spammy links.

I know links and I have never seen a spammy link ever. Pcunix your the computer expert, give me an example of a spammy link.

The OP is  Jason Menayan making a statement in response to Misha bragging about creating thousands of backlinks using automated software.

That's spammy linking techniques, which is what is being discussed here.  We have no knowledge that these are forum spam or not.

8. TerryGl profile image57

Then why not send them an email?

Why call me out?

Why call Mark and Misha out?

As to my opinion, when you said you were leaving Hubpages I was the one who said don't slam the door.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)