I signed up for facebook...now what?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (16 posts)
  1. shawna.wilson profile image60
    shawna.wilsonposted 15 years ago

I signed up for Facebook today to try to boost traffic to my hubs.  I put an RSS feed on my profile thanks to a suggestion from Steph Hicks.  How will I know if it is bringing more traffic to my hubs?  Any other suggestions for driving traffic through facebook?  I am really new to this.

2. guidebaba profile image58
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Now try to make friends and Post Links to your Hubs / Blog / Website.

3. shawna.wilson profile image60

I've posted a link to my hubs on my profile page.  Where else should I post links?

1. shibashake profile image83
      shibashakeposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You can also join some discussion groups on topics you are interested in. Sometimes I will post some of my related articles while answering questions there.

shawna.wilsonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

That's a great idea.  I'll have to figure out how to join a discussion group...I am very inexperienced with facebook, but I'm trying to learn!

4. darkside profile image66
    darksideposted 15 years ago

Don't go too hard with Facebook. I'm using it to connect to friends, real friends. Some I haven't seen in years. I've got 150+ at the moment, but all of them are people I've met in real life.

I'm not pushing my hubs or other sites. Occasionally I post one on my own wall.

I've posted lots of interesting photos, digging deep into my hard drive for more recent photos over the last 8 years (since I've had a digital camera), tagging friends. Having conversations. Reconnecting.

I don't want to be the guy who annoys the crap out of you because I want you to visit this site or that site. All these people liked me in real life, and I want them to continue liking me online too.

So I've had some of them ask me about the articles I have posted. But its from their own initiative, not from me forcing it.

shawna.wilsonposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the advice, Darkside. I just signed up this morning, and so far I have reconnected with more than ten people I don't talk to regularly.  So even if my hub traffic doesn't increase, it seems fun.  I think I'll just leave the RSS feed on my profile page, and if people are interested, that's great.  Like you said, I don't want to annoy anyone.

1. darkside profile image66
        darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

You should do well.

And it is a lot of fun.

It starts to get interesting when you discover that you have two friends who you met in completely different times and places who know each other, but not through you.

5. profile image57
    baysonposted 15 years ago

Hi,
    Try To Get Some Friends. It Help In Increasing the Traffic.

6. AngieRyan profile image58
    AngieRyanposted 15 years ago

Good luck with that, would like to hear how it's working out for you. I personally have never had facebook and never will. I value my privacy and facebook is owned and controlled by the CIA. But hey... if it helps you get more traffic and you're happy - who am I to judge, right?

1. seamus profile image58
      seamusposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Well, the CIA probably knows the info most of us are putting onto FB. Plus, you don't have to put any info into FB you don't want to except for your real name.

7. Kathy T profile image59
    Kathy Tposted 15 years ago

I have to agree with darkside on facebook,, its more of a place to talk with freinds.  My articles and images take a small space on my page.. Its more like a myspace page

The best advice i can give is make friends and send each an email asking them to read your hubs and that you would apreciate a comment on your work.

8. seamus profile image58
    seamusposted 15 years ago

One thing you can do to get traffic from FB and not annoy friends is to buy an ad. They were inexpensive when I last looked and you can target via interesting demographics such as "single" or "engaged."

If you had a site geared towards singles, you could see how it might help. Or you might want your ad to appear to folks interested in knitting or yoga.

9. iyazam profile image60
    iyazamposted 15 years ago

Here is an article I wrote about facebook -

...Once you have a basic understanding of how Facebook works, your adrenaline may be pumping as you experience the potential of exposing your business to over 40 million people.

But before you begin…

Marketing via Facebook or any another social network needs to be done strategically, using a proper marketing plan. So many people have destroyed their businesses because they abused these networks. Once you’ve become familiar with the tools described below, take time to outline a plan for yourself.

Here are some of the different tools (all free) with which Facebook allows you to promote your business. Using these tools wisely will help your business grow. Misusing them will kill your business and leave you with the reputation of nothing but a spammer. Browse Facebook and the “applications” link to find all of the below:

Creating a Group:

Anyone on Facebook can start their own group. An excellent way to build a community around your product or service is to create a group representing it. Some of the features that a group has are a discussion board, a “wall,” posted items (great place to post links) and the possibility to upload videos and pictures. When you start building your group, which is very simple to do, you can add your website link, location, contact and any other information you wish. The next step is to invite your personal network to join your group.

Joining Other Groups for Marketing Your Business:

The groups are one of the most powerful venues that can help you to promote your business. The effective way to do so is to join groups that are relevant to your business. Join those groups and become active in them. If you join and post a message only once, no one will look at you. Instead, participate in the back and forth on the discussion board and post regularly on the walls. One of the most effective ways to get attention is sharing your articles on the discussion board and responding to other people’s questions. In many ways this is like a forum. Once you start participating in these discussion boards, people will respect you and learn to trust you.

Pages:

Facebook recently launched “Pages,” which is similar to groups. “Pages” allows businesses to establish a brand presence on Facebook. You can add html code, flash files and even Facebook applications to Pages that can help you customize the page better, which you cannot do on groups. People who join your Page are called “Fans” – they become “fans” of your business.

Using the Wall:

On your profile page you have what’s called “The Wall” – this is where the members of your network can post messages on your profile page. Whenever someone posts something on your wall and whenever you post on friends’ walls, everyone in your network can see it. (Be careful not to post very private messages on a friend’s wall. If you need to do so, you have the option of sending a message to your friend’s Facebook inbox.)

Events:

If you are having an event related to you business or a sale at a friend’s house or on Ebay, this is the online place where you would want to post about it. After creating your event, you can invite your network to view and participate (or politely decline).

Notes and Photos:

These two applications allow you to share articles, blog posts or pictures with your network. You can utilize these applications to discuss your business or share photos of your products. Your friends can publish comments on your postings.

This is an excellent alternative to using your regular email. With this application you can send personal or group messages to people in your network. The beauty of this application is that you are protected from the possibility of sending inadvertent spam, since Facebook has excellent methods of eliminating that possibility before you can send anything. Just be careful not to email too often.

Marketplace:

Marketplace is Facebook’s classifieds listing service. Here you can post a variety of ads related to your business. The marketplace allows you to upload pictures as well. Just take care not to flood the marketplace with your ads, as this will get you deleted from Facebook.

This incredible feature allows you to let your network know what you are doing at any given time. If you have just uploaded new content to your website, added a new product to your product line or what ever it may be.

Now that you have received the basics for marketing via Facebook, you are probably thinking, “So every time I post an item or a photo I have to message it to my friends? This will take forever!” If that’s what you’re thinking, this next and final aspect of Facebook that we will discuss will blow your mind:

Facebook’s News Feed:

This is our favorite, and this is Facebook’s unique advantage over other social networks. Whenever you log into your Facebook account, the first page that you will see is the news feed. This page gives you all the recent news in your network: updates of what your friends have been doing on Facebook, what groups they have joined, what items they have posted, what videos they have uploaded, whom they’ve added as friends to their network, etc. And just like you can see what your friends are doing, they can see what you are doing. In other words, every time you post something, your whole network will see it. This exposure creates a consciousness of your product or service within your network and beyond.

Be sure to use this feature, like all the tools of Facebook, with your integrity. Keep it clean and people will respect you.

10. shawna.wilson profile image60

Thanks to everyone for their helpful advice.  I'll have to spend some quality time getting to know my new facebook account.  I've already got 60 or so friends that are really people I have known at some point in my life.  So that's really cool.  I also found out my church has a group on facebook, so I signed up for that group.  I'll learn my way around slowly but surely, and maybe I'll get a little extra hub traffic too as a bonus:)

11. spooon profile image48
    spooonposted 15 years ago

Well. I'm new here but I use facebook a good amount.

3 free ways to increase your business on facebook

It really doesn't even have to be for business. If you want to connect this is a good way to do it.

There are other ways to push you blog/hub but I wouldn't "push" it if you know what I mean. e-mailing people or leaving comments on their wall isn't something I recommend. You want to passively send out updates.

There are other tools to do this but I won't dive into that.

Use facebook to connect and keep people connected to you. Don't use it to blast your ads or links all the time. Sometimes people just want to see what your doing even if it's just mowing the lawn or fixing your dishwasher.

Be a real person and people will follow you since most people are pretty interesting if they would just open up a bit.

Lawrence

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)