jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)

8,000 less hubbers in one week

1. Karanda profile image85
    Karandaposted 5 years ago

This time last week there were 224,000 Hubbers as per the HubPages statistics on the Hubbers page. Now there are only 216,000. I wonder if they have left as a result of the Google changes or HubPages has started to weed out the sub-standard.

1. CMHypno profile image88
      CMHypnoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I hope that it is the latter Karanda, as it would be a shame to lose good hubbers. Also, losing followers on top of everything else is too much!

Karandaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I've lost four followers in the past week so perhaps it is related. Traffic has started to improve though so I'm sure it will all sort itself out in time.

2. 0
      ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Is that published hubbers? Rather than total hubbers?

Because I suspect that spammy accounts made to post one spammy hubpage would fall off of that list if the sole hub was unpublished wink

I doubt that the team would process 8000 account deletion requests without creating a 'delete account' option somewhere lol

I guess that's total Hubbers. It is the number HubPages display when you click in the Hubbers section at the top of the page.

Being a bookkeeper in a previous life I tend to look at figures and statistics. I check that figure weekly and it continues to rise on a regular basis, or at least it has since I first joined HubPages. It was 183,000 a year ago and there has never been a drop in users until this past week.

1. 0
          ryankettposted 5 years ago in reply to this

No it's published hubbers, I believe that there are well over 1 million registered hubbers.

In the 'About me' section it says 216,000 published hubbers wink So I suspect that is as a result of content deletion rather than account deletion.

3. michifus profile image86
      michifusposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I expect that this is more due to the changes being applied to hubpages, especially with regard to personal hubs. The aim is to increase the quality of this site, and to stop it being used as a blog, and a tool simply for promoting other websites.

I'm all for increasing the quality of this site. I fell in love with HubPages the moment I found it and really want it to be an ongoing, healthy relationship for both of us. lol

1. Amanda Severn profile image92
          Amanda Severnposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I liKe the idea of an overall improvement in quality of writing. HubPages seemed to have a lot of spammy writers on it a while back.

2. 0
    ryankettposted 5 years ago

Yep its published users. I suspect those one hit wonders are being weeded out, the type who use this as a means of a quick backlink. I actually met one of those in my local bar!

In that case, I see the whole Google shake up as being a good thing for HubPages and Hubbers in general, although I'm sure those of you who have taken a direct hit might be feeling it.

3. michifus profile image86
    michifusposted 5 years ago

Ive been doing my bit by hub hopping to help weed out some of the crud that makes its way onto the site. I cant say its been a joyous experience, but it has been an eye opener as to what people think is acceptable.

This is a far better site than the content farms which have been hit, with some real quality on here. There will always be those that try to take advantage, but hopefully with self policing and the work the Hubpages team is doing it will be a lot harder for these to slip through the net in future!

Here's to a better quality site - not sure I'm willing to go as far as saying that the Algo update was good, but I'm not quite so critical of it now as I was last week. smile

working